Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Liked 1,367 Times in 710 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC View Post
    At the moment, the WRC is struggling to attract petrolheads/ motorsport fans as it is. Look at the number of comments on various motorsport website forums. Attracting the non-petrolheads is a huge task.
    Very much agree with you. But us petrolheads are not the ones sponsors want to attract, we are too few!
    they want ordinary Joe to buy their product. So whenever I have taken a friend out to watch rallies, and the same man to watch rallycross, they all go for rallycross. Why: you see it all, it is compact, it has drama you can follow, you can walk back to the depot, not drive.

Rally has a lot going for it: the bravest and best drivers in the motorsports world, cars that look like one you can buy tomorrow, speed, man vs machine, hero/fan possibilities.

But it is utterly mismanaged from FIA, as the ugly duckling. Left to die by itself, while F1 and the new E-Racing gets all the attention.
    Companies win contracts to be promotor, they fail miserably;
    bad website, useless addition that cost money (wrc+), oldfashioned TV production, little or no use of streaming, and interaction with drivers and co drivers, no improvements in any area.

Something need to be changed.
    Make a set of cases. Put this to three different universities, two think tanks, and on facebook for Ordinary Joe to speak out. Ask sponsors what they would like to see change.

Put results into a report, go and brief Rally Comitty in FIA on the results, and a plan of change.

Rally has the potential, but need help to grow!

2. Likes: AndyRAC (28th December 2016),Rallyper (28th December 2016)
    Liked 2,241 Times in 1,199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky View Post
    Now, if Meeke would be going head to head into the last two rounds fighting for the championship with Ogier, then even the ladyboy sports (F1 in N.O.T's vocabulary) crazy British media would take notice.
    I think that's wishful thinking. When Meeke won his first and second WRC events there was pretty much nothing.

Most recent good coverage of rallying in the UK came when Skoda UK and Peugeot UK were in IRC, and even then I think it came largely because the importers paid for it.

4. Likes: AndyRAC (28th December 2016)
    Liked 9,309 Times in 4,937 Posts
    This thread is about Sponsorship Sources guys.

All this about WRC & media isnt the same thing and it's been well covered many times before on the forum.

Back on topic.. what do people think about the energy drinks and betting firms taking over from the old traditional sponsors ?

Liked 27 Times in 21 Posts
    I have almost forgotten tabacco sponsors now, but they were here a decade and a bit ago. Still, I think its for better - smoking isnt something to advertise.
    Latvian local sports sponsorship has been taken over by something even worse maybe - quick loan companies. At least, they are not so big to go global (or am I missing it?).
    Energy drinks and betting are strongly associated with sports, but its interesting that not so much of technology and electronics companies use this form of advertising.

Liked 1,244 Times in 676 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    This thread is about Sponsorship Sources guys.

All this about WRC & media isnt the same thing and it's been well covered many times before on the forum.

Back on topic.. what do people think about the energy drinks and betting firms taking over from the old traditional sponsors ?
    Well actually, sponsors require require decent media coverage & promotion - otherwise their product won't be noticed. ROI

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

8. Likes: Sulland (28th December 2016)
    It is a bit pro et contra, but maybe WRC needs its Bernie E, to professionalize the product, to attract the big sponsors?
    But it is a double edged sword, since there is no going back......

Again, In my opinion some of the answer lies in live presentation of the stages, and with different channels for the customer to choose from.

Today we can all stream live from our smartphone, so it is all about supply of bandwith. Not such a large obstacle in 2017, if the willingness is there!

Liked 2,241 Times in 1,199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulland View Post
    It is a bit pro et contra, but maybe WRC needs its Bernie E, to professionalize the product, to attract the big sponsors?
    Actually there are very few 'real' sponsors in F1 these days too. Many are linked to a driver or are the companies of the team owners etc.

Liked 82 Times in 38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulland View Post
    Wasn´t D. Richards trying something like this back 2000´s with ISC?

Liked 9,309 Times in 4,937 Posts
    Red Bull and Monster seem to be dominating WRC, Enduro and WorldRX sponsorship nowadays. I can see the attraction for the two latter ones with their younger audience, but WRC seems to me to have an older fan base. Red Bull must still see the benefit in sales but I'm a bit surprised.

I cant say I like seeing these energy drinks myself, but they are better than the gambling companies as sponsors. They seems to be growing in all sports and I hear about real problems people have when they get addicted to betting.
    #M-SPORTER

Quote Originally Posted by kure91 View Post
    Wasn´t D. Richards trying something like this back 2000´s with ISC?
    That was the plan, but then the technology was not as available as it is today.
    Last edited by Sulland; 29th December 2016 at 23:43.