Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Liked 3,476 Times in 1,016 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    They have taken over from the alcohol companies and pretend to be promoting a healthy lifestyle when
    their products are just full of sugar calories and no goodness. And then they market this to younger people when there is a already a big problem with obesity.

Rallying makes these companies look 'cool" when they are really harming health almost like the old vices did.
    It's should be everyone's right to be stupid. I don't think that any "normally gifted person" is going to switch from water to redbull from advertising. They may be influenced to buy that redbull/monster/battery+ or whatever if they are drinking some similar rubbish already. In France it's forbidden to display any publicity for alcoholic beverages in motorsports. I don't believe people are drinking more or less because of advertising. In the late 90s advertising of tobacco/cigarettes was banned "for health". Who started smoking because the "Bastos" logo was displayed on some rallycars? Maybe those advertisers could, in long term, indeed change minds of those already smoking. People kept smoking just as much until governments started to ban smoking in most places and made it extremely expensive to smoke... I haven't heard a positive word from the banning of those advertisers, especially from rally enthusiasts. In contrary, everyone has been complaining, and is still complaining, about how much money has been taken away from all kinds of motorsport. Now you want the same with energy drinks?

2. Likes: Simmi (31st December 2016),TWRC (31st December 2016)
    Liked 2,261 Times in 892 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    They have taken over from the alcohol companies and pretend to be promoting a healthy lifestyle when their products are just full of sugar calories and no goodness. And then they market this to younger people when there is a already a big problem with obesity.

Rallying makes these companies look 'cool" when they are really harming health almost like the old vices did.
    I'm not sure they are actively doing anything at all to promote 'healthy' lifestyles. I think that's an inadvertent connection you've made. They are pouring money into promotion of 'extreme' sports or athletes. In essence what they are promoting is 'fun'. Which is why I'm very happy to see energy drink brands supporting the WRC. When they leave it will say something about the sport.

Like tommeke says it's on us to not get mis-sold by these companies. For that same reason I'd happily let alcohol and tobacco brands back in. As a sport rallying isn't really in a position to pick and choose the types of brands that lend support.

I don't know whether they are also banned but maybe drivers should speak to vaping/e-cig companies?
    RS Motorsport Media - Follow me on Instagram: rsmotorsportmedia

Liked 1,835 Times in 710 Posts
    One thing to consider about "harmful" products and banning/unbanning advertising is the effect they can have on children. I agree it's on us to be discerning adults and not get "fooled" but children are much more easily seduced by the bright colors and noise of the cars and can form quite strong emotional associations. Of course it's the parent's job to educate the kids but it's really hard to do if a certain brand is all over the place and made to look cool.

5. Likes: Fast Eddie WRC (1st January 2017)
    Liked 82 Times in 38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommeke_B View Post
    WRC having an older fanbase? I'm not so sure... For example in Catalunya I've see plenty of young people along the stages. It probably depends from country to country, but on most places I've been there are spectators from all ages.
    Well, from a few researches I´ve found it seems that you are righ with young fanbase. In 2007 was conducted research at selected WRC events (NZ, Germany, Catalunya,Portugal) and biggest group of spectators was usualy in age group 20 - 30 years old. And this seems to be quite right also nowadays, because in my thesis i´m doing this topic and majority of respondents in my research at Barum rally was in age category 20-30 years.

7. Likes: ChassisFlex (2nd January 2017),tommeke_B (1st January 2017)