Page 131 of 136 FirstFirst ... 3181121129130131132133 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,310 of 1358
    Liked 2,275 Times in 1,069 Posts
    Would actually be a surprise if Ogier doesn't get excluded/ time penalties now

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
    Over the last few weeks I've been experimenting with various scripts for visualising WRC rally stage results, as well as automatically generating simple text summaries (these are very basic at the moment!)

The latest report - for the Mexico rally - is available as a reveal.js slideshow at https://psychemedia.github.io/WRC_sketches/

I'd be interested to know if folk on this thread find any of the visualisations particularly useful - or useless! - as well as any ideas for the sorts of feature anyone thinks a simple script may be able to detect and what sort of "robot journalist" copy might be automatically generated as a result... The charts are all openly licensed so feel free to embed them in this thread if you want to comment on any ones in particular.

3. Likes: b3637853 (15th March 2017),HenryEST (15th March 2017),kubiczech (15th March 2017),Lundefaret (15th March 2017),sonnybobiche (14th March 2017)
    Liked 290 Times in 113 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by psychemedia View Post
    Over the last few weeks I've been experimenting with various scripts for visualising WRC rally stage results, as well as automatically generating simple text summaries (these are very basic at the moment!)

The latest report - for the Mexico rally - is available as a reveal.js slideshow at https://psychemedia.github.io/WRC_sketches/

I'd be interested to know if folk on this thread find any of the visualisations particularly useful - or useless! - as well as any ideas for the sorts of feature anyone thinks a simple script may be able to detect and what sort of "robot journalist" copy might be automatically generated as a result... The charts are all openly licensed so feel free to embed them in this thread if you want to comment on any ones in particular.
    Wow, that's really impressive.

Liked 306 Times in 158 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by er88 View Post
    Would actually be a surprise if Ogier doesn't get excluded/ time penalties now

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Weights and measurements are like pregnancy tests, one cannot be slightly pregnant

6. Likes: BigWorm (15th March 2017),dimviii (15th March 2017),dupanton (15th March 2017),smokingjoe (15th March 2017)
    Liked 87 Times in 43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by psychemedia View Post

Cool stuff, with the slideshow, a little nav screen may be useful to know whats up, down and sideways?

I think the "SSX - stage split time, rank position" is potentially useful and interesting, maybe even for the drivers! nice work.

Liked 341 Times in 189 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sonnybobiche View Post
    Because real reporting in the WRC almost doesn't exist. The Promoter makes sure that anything embarrassing or controversial is never, ever mentioned or asked about by anyone, at least in English.

E.g. in Monte Carlo it was really clear that a spectator had been hit and was possibly dead. Spanish commentators were talking all about it. It was all over twitter. But Becs Williams and the English commentators were pretending nothing had happened. "Oh, yeah, the stage has been cancelled. We'll be going to stage 2 directly. Here's some music." Even in the highlights they spent literally three seconds acknowledging what had happened.

Or just watch the highlights of rally mexico:

Hardly a word said about the ridiculous situation and cancelling the first two stages.

No explanation really of why Sordo had 10 minutes of penalties, but they did show him being informed that he'd gotten the 10 minutes back! (Yay! Wait, what penalties? When? Why? Oh yeah, because of another big fuckup by the organizers you never heard about.)

Try to find the onboards from any Hyundai in stage 7, where they all had problems and there was a red flag (also not mentioned) because Sordo was stopped on stage and Tanak might crash into him. Those onboards have not been uploaded, despite WRC+ explicitly advertising at the beginning of the year that all onboards from every stage would go up.

Hell, if you even try to watch Tanak's onboard from that stage, you notice that the audio mysteriously cuts out a few seconds before the red flag so you can't hear their reaction.

Speaking of Tanak, no mention at all that he had a big crash during the recce due to oncoming traffic. If you didn't read this forum, you'd never have known about it.

Still no mention that there is a situation with the FIA investigating Ogier's gearbox.

Honestly, journalism in the WRC is almost a joke compared to F1. David Evans does an okay job, but that's like one article a week if you're lucky. Half the time you can't really understand what the article is about unless you've already heard rumors about whatever situation he casually brings up. Martin Holmes is good but very brief, and again, infrequent. If it weren't for forums like this one, and coverage by non-English media, most people would be totally in the dark.

Rant over, for now...
    I've always found WRC.com reporting/journalism a bit like going out for a beer with your boss. He (or she) may have bad breath, body odor and severe flatulence but are you going to say anything? Are you going to mention the obvious? No, no point in biting the hand that feeds you. Shame really, but understandable. I do wish they would be more journalistic than they are otherwise they are just company representatives pushing the company line.

9. Likes: A FONDO (15th March 2017),Fast Eddie WRC (15th March 2017),Rally Power (15th March 2017),sonnybobiche (15th March 2017)
    Liked 1,878 Times in 734 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sonnybobiche View Post
    Hell, Mikko got a win taken from him for having a clutch that was actually heavier than the homologated part.
    Not so strange if they had seen some cracks in it and made it stronger
    "Die with memories, not with dreams" Scott McIsaac
    http://www.motorsportfilmer.net

11. Likes: pantealex (15th March 2017)
    Liked 16,087 Times in 6,980 Posts
    top 5 moments at Mexico ,including Ogiers spin.
    https://youtu.be/rKeUv8hOvOI

13. Likes: steve.mandzij (15th March 2017)
    Liked 1,389 Times in 447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by noel157 View Post
    I've always found WRC.com reporting/journalism a bit like going out for a beer with your boss. He (or she) may have bad breath, body odor and severe flatulence but are you going to say anything? Are you going to mention the obvious? No, no point in biting the hand that feeds you. Shame really, but understandable. I do wish they would be more journalistic than they are otherwise they are just company representatives pushing the company line.
    I'm not so worried about wrc.com being tool for content marketing. It's logical and I don't expect to find news there.

What I'm annoyed about is the level of rose-tinted reporting from the accrediated media whose paychecks should come elsewhere than teams and the series directly. They seem to seriously lack teeth in their writing, because - and this is my assumption - if they'd write on time and critically, they'd probably stopped been invited to places, etc. So normally, when shit hits the fan (sometimes literally!) they just keep quiet. And once the storm of negative response from fans in social media stops, they pick up the topic the next Monday and point out the fans are wrong, we were there, it looked right.

This lack of backbone and lack of desire to bring up hot topics in real time really sucks. OK, Mexico traffic jam happened at night for them, but much of their audience were up in Europe anxiously waiting for news. Even if they'd sat in the stuck truck themselves realizing damn we're not going to make it, they refrain from any posting to wait for official announcement. In cases like bad accidents it's absolutely better to show courtesy and wait for official news, but not everything must be retweeted from the official notice board.
    Photos: rallirinki.kuvat.fi | Twitter: @HartusvuoriWRC

15. Likes: AL14 (15th March 2017),EightGear (15th March 2017),Fast Eddie WRC (15th March 2017),jparker (15th March 2017),noel157 (15th March 2017),pantealex (15th March 2017),Rally Power (15th March 2017),sonnybobiche (15th March 2017),tommeke_B (15th March 2017)
    Liked 2,937 Times in 1,338 Posts
    WRC is a small and quiet world; apparently there’s no need for a full and independent coverage. WRC broadcasts looking Brits expatriate parties and Evans tabloid style news seems to be the best we can have…

Thank God (or whoever) there’s this Forum.
    Rally addict since 1982

17. Likes: jparker (15th March 2017),sonnybobiche (15th March 2017)