Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Liked 144 Times in 49 Posts
    kirungi okwogera,

I am glad that you find the thread refreshing. I was worried that it might be too elementary, but I sure appreciate the information. What a fabulous sport!
    Last edited by Revman; 26th December 2016 at 06:09. Reason: address

Liked 1,389 Times in 447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Revman View Post
    How do the cars get from stage to stage?
    While being state-of-the-art racing machines, they are road legal cars too. And have to remain so, meaning if a crew happen to lose a wheel on stages, they can't criple to service as three wheel car. They could, but regs don't allow. It've been strickened since last years. Earlier it was possible.
    Photos: rallirinki.kuvat.fi | Twitter: @HartusvuoriWRC

3. Likes: pantealex (26th December 2016)
    Liked 313 Times in 137 Posts
    If you are interested about technical stuff you can follow homologation of cars.
    http://www.fia.com/regulation/category/760
    Open 2017 Complete list of homologated vehicles with extensions

If you want to read sporting regulations http://www.fia.com/regulation/category/119
    2017 Sporting regulations and appendices.

About regulations http://www.fia.com/regulation/category/123

These specific regulations don’t tell so much because there are some homologations regulations that aren’t public.

And of course I can’t resist to advertise my home WRC rally by a couple of videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeeV...ature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q42jT7AsNFE
    “Don’t eat the yellow snow” Frank Zappa

5. Likes: jiipee64 (26th December 2016),Revman (26th December 2016)
    Liked 1,835 Times in 710 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Revman View Post
    How do the cars get from stage to stage?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hartusvuori View Post
    While being state-of-the-art racing machines, they are road legal cars too. And have to remain so, meaning if a crew happen to lose a wheel on stages, they can't criple to service as three wheel car. They could, but regs don't allow. It've been strickened since last years. Earlier it was possible.
    To add to this, it's in the spirit and base rules of rallying that the cars complete all the route on their own power, without outside assistance except for designated service zones. So except for service only the crews (driver and co-driver) are allowed to work on the car and only using tools and parts found in the car.

There are some exceptions for example for refilling the radiator with water from nearby creeks, or even some Corona beer if that's more readily available (true story).

In the old days the rules were a bit less strict and cars could crawl on 3 wheels to the next service or service points were not as strictly enforced. On the Monte Carlo some teams even did mid-stage tyre changes!

Another interesting detail is the cars have two operating modes: stage and road. The stage mode is used in competition and everything is turned to 11 (turbo, engine mapping, anti-lag, diffs etc.) road is more tame and used on the road sections.

7. Likes: Hartusvuori (26th December 2016),pantealex (26th December 2016)
    친애하는 지도자
    Liked 2,720 Times in 1,256 Posts
    also all proper rally cars are equipped with a "road" ECU map for fuel economy and engine maintenance which they use on road sections.

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seb_sh View Post
    In the old days the rules were a bit less strict and cars could crawl on 3 wheels to the next service or service points were not as strictly enforced. On the Monte Carlo some teams even did mid-stage tyre changes!
    Not even 'the old days', seem to remember Loeb doing it fairly recently. Although in '96/'97 (around then, can't recall which exact year) Makinen lost a rear wheel in Rally GB but was stopped by the police from carrying on. IIRC Gronholm had a similar problem a few years later. Of course the cars still have to comply with traffic laws of the country, people have been stopped for speeding in the past at several events.

Things didn't used to be quite so strict there's a great video of Ari Vatanen on a rally in the UK where they borrow the driveshaft from a spectator's road car (think it was a Capri)

Edit: Was actually the diff - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LmzOKiJfiQ
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

10. Likes: seb_sh (26th December 2016)
    Liked 140 Times in 81 Posts
    1976 Scttish Rally. Not the worst way to kill forty minutes of your time. With the exception of a few Finns it's very British, though.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=RGQDBlLA_RE

Liked 11,151 Times in 4,427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrJan View Post
    Not even 'the old days', seem to remember Loeb doing it fairly recently. Although in '96/'97 (around then, can't recall which exact year) Makinen lost a rear wheel in Rally GB but was stopped by the police from carrying on. IIRC Gronholm had a similar problem a few years later. Of course the cars still have to comply with traffic laws of the country, people have been stopped for speeding in the past at several events.

Things didn't used to be quite so strict there's a great video of Ari Vatanen on a rally in the UK where they borrow the driveshaft from a spectator's road car (think it was a Capri)

Edit: Was actually the diff - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LmzOKiJfiQ
    The reason why it is now forbidden is exactly that the outcome was completely unpredictable and as such quite unfair. Sometimes the traffic police closed eyes and the show went on (Loeb in Mexico for example), sometimes the police was strict and the crew was fucked (Mäkinen in GB). Now the rules are stricter but same for everybody.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

13. Likes: dimviii (26th December 2016),itix (29th December 2016),pantealex (26th December 2016)
    Liked 144 Times in 49 Posts
    Talk to me about Hanninen.....Seems like a journeyman type of driver. Did development work for Hyundai and now Toyota....Does this guy have rally winning potential?

Liked 1,835 Times in 710 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    The reason why it is now forbidden is exactly that the outcome was completely unpredictable and as such quite unfair. Sometimes the traffic police closed eyes and the show went on (Loeb in Mexico for example), sometimes the police was strict and the crew was fucked (Mäkinen in GB). Now the rules are stricter but same for everybody.
    I remember Gronholm in GB, something like:
    Policeman: I can't let you continue
    Gronholm: But I can continue
    Policeman: No you can't
    Gronholm: But I can, I know I can, if you let me

16. Likes: b3637853 (29th December 2016),dupanton (26th December 2016)