Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Just bear in mind if you are going to see a rally for the first time, a lot of the people here (myself included) look back on their first time with fondness, rememebering how close you could get to the cars etc - I remember think it was brilliant you could get so close you'd be peppered with gravel from the stage!

Unfortunately, health and safety has got involved and this closeness is becoming rarer and rarer, with stages being stopped if spectators are in the wrong places etc, it takes all the fun out of it if you are worried about being harangued for being a bit too close IMO.

2. Likes: Revman (22nd December 2016)
    Liked 11,149 Times in 4,425 Posts
    There were far too man dead people to keep things unchanged...

Stills some organizations like Automobile Club de Monaco don't care about safety at all. On the stages of Monte Carlo once You get from the access point You can do whatever You want. There are no tapes, no marshals, nothing. Anyway for such case I would strongly recommend to go spectating together with somebody experienced.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

4. Likes: itix (27th December 2016),Revman (22nd December 2016),WRC1 (24th December 2016)
    Liked 2,264 Times in 944 Posts
    Aaaah my first rally was a WRC rally. In Sardinia.
    I had watched so many videos and reviews before, but the feeling and the adrenaline I felt the day I watch it live I will never forget.

6. Likes: Revman (22nd December 2016)
    Liked 480 Times in 162 Posts
    My first rally car ever which I saw was WRC (Toyota Corolla WRC). Winter rally, minus 25 degrees... Still remember that feeling when car flew by - standing in small ice dust cloud, mouth wide open, goosebumps everywhere and uncensored excitement after then. This was it for me
    Friend of mine took me to rally and to exactly that place. Advice - try to find someone who understands a rally and join to him. For beginning in WRC events you can try to spot peoples who are moving away from official spectator places in to stage and to join them. They knows what they are doing quite often. And never forget about safety and physics law, always keep in mind "what if..."!

Enjoy!

8. Likes: AL14 (22nd December 2016),jiipee64 (25th December 2016),Rallyper (22nd December 2016),Revman (22nd December 2016)
    Liked 11,149 Times in 4,425 Posts
    With me it was that the rallysport came actually to myself I was always somewhat interested in rallying but never went spectating myself until the time I moved to the university in Prague. A stage of the Prague rallysprint led through the street under the windows of my university hostel. I woke up with the noise of the cars, went out and was caught forever
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

10. Likes: AL14 (22nd December 2016),dimviii (22nd December 2016),EightGear (22nd December 2016),Hartusvuori (25th December 2016),Revman (22nd December 2016),WRC1 (24th December 2016)
    Liked 2,937 Times in 1,338 Posts
    The others already said it all. You can learn a lot on the net, tv or radio, but live spectating is the best thing you can do to get into rally world. If it’s not easy to travel to a WRC event, try any national rally near you. Take the thrill of the stages but also notice the service crews work and codriver’s job (besides the notes signing). That way you’ll manage to understand this fantastic sport in a quick and exciting way. Btw, it’s great to have Toyota back.
    Rally addict since 1982

12. Likes: Revman (22nd December 2016)
    Liked 313 Times in 137 Posts
    Results and statistics.

http://www.ewrc-results.com/season.php

http://juwra.com/

Live results with driver’s comments after each (almost) stage. Also on ewrc-resutls.com

https://rally-base.com/
    “Don’t eat the yellow snow” Frank Zappa

14. Likes: Revman (22nd December 2016)
    Liked 1,064 Times in 465 Posts
    Since we are sharing stories about how people got into rallying, here is mine.

I have always been a big motorsport fan, but only really circuit racing. I also like simracing and on one day I decided to give Richard Burns Rally a try. It was bloody hard but it got my interest for rallying going, as I started to learn more about it. This was back in the end of 2010, and I knew 2011 would start with new regulations so I tried to follow it a bit. After joining this forum my interest has only increased, and has left me wondering how I could have ignored rallying for so long.

Circuit racing may be my 'first love' but rallying certainly is my biggest.

Oh and unfortunately I still have yet to attend a WRC round...
    SimRace Vereniging Nederland
    www.srvn.nl

16. Likes: AL14 (22nd December 2016),Rallyper (22nd December 2016),Revman (22nd December 2016)
    Liked 144 Times in 49 Posts
    Thank you all very much for the information! I am studying hard in preparation for the season. Yeah, I said "studying." I am passionate about motorsports, and I want to be able to enjoy the action from the beginning without trying to understand what is going on. I am preparing for Monte Carlo right now. Great stuff!

Liked 2,836 Times in 1,610 Posts
    @Revman where do you have your residence?
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...