Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Liked 777 Times in 419 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dimviii View Post
    how happened that? didn't watched Sweden wrc rally?
    It is about 5 hours drive to rally sweden region from my place and my parents weren't very rich so going 5 hours both ways plus hotel etc etc wasn't really in the budget for the joy of one family member out of 7.

When I studied I had no money (or car) and when I started working I moved to Italy (which is why the Monte was the first one).

I did watch sweden last year for the first time actually.

2. Likes: AL14 (30th December 2016),dimviii (28th December 2016),pantealex (28th December 2016),Rallyper (28th December 2016),skarderud (23rd January 2017),tommeke_B (28th December 2016)
    Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stefanvv View Post
    Every driver "moans" about "something" from time to time, even Gronholm if You wish.
    One the other hand, how You imagine someone to bring numerous titles without being a personality himself? Is that happen randomly, or it is just about strong personality, which knows what he wants, and how to get it?
    Agreed that all drivers moan about something...except Ogier, he monas about everything

He may know what he wants and be very driven, doesn't make him interesting though.
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Liked 144 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seb_sh View Post
    After 8 pages, I actually have some questions for you, Revman, if you don't mind

What's your background related to motorsport? Why the Toyota fandom?
    How did you hear about WRC? What made you get into it?

To add a bit about the drivers: Hanninen was chosen for his development skills and is driving this year more as a test driver/reference. Lappi was chosen because he's an up and coming star that showed good speed, even if he is crash prone, Makinen probably hopes he can groom him to be more consistent. After VW thing Latvala was basically an available more experienced Lappi with good testing/setup skills.
    Happy to give you some background. Thank you for asking....

I have loved cars all of my life, and I have always seen motorsports as an expression of a manufacturer's ability when they are left to create. I attended my first race in 1995--an IndyCar event. At about the same time, I became fascinated with Ferrari and their involvement in F1. I loved that they tried like crazy to make a V12 work when others thought differently. Again, manufacturer creativity fascinates me.

I am passionate about Toyota largely because that was the first car I purchased, and I have never even been in another brand's showroom to purchase a car. Again, given my feeling that motorsport is a manufacturer's expression of ability, I gravitated to all things Toyota when it came to motorsport. They entered IndyCar, and although very slow, I was loyal. I struggled through the F1 years waking up at 4:00 a.m. hoping for the unthinkable which never came, yet I remained loyal. Given that I am in the USA, Toyota's next venture was NASCAR. Fortunes have been much better as Toyota captured the Driver's Championship last year, and the Manufacturer's this year. Toyota's involvement in NASCAR brought me even closer to the brand. Allow me to explain....

I saw a Toyota cap on TV in Victory Lane. I wanted that cap, but it could not be purchased anywhere. I decided to write the President of Toyota Racing Development to get a cap. I sent money as I was not looking for anything free. He send me three hats (and gave me my money back). A couple of weeks later, he invited me to be the guest of Toyota Racing Development at a race. I was given all access plus suite accommodations. I met all of the drivers. Additionally, I was given a personal tour of Toyota Racing Development. The relationship with this company has continued over the years, and I was the guest of Toyota Motorsport once again at the NASCAR race in Phoenix last month.

Toyota has taken an interest in me I think because I am a manufacturer first supporter. Even though NASCAR has tight regulations regarding the car, I am still more into the technical side of the sport rather than drooling over drivers.

So, I am a lifelong Toyota owner with a very tight relationship with this manufacturer's racing side. I love this company, and have tremendous respect for Akio Toyoda. This relationship with Toyota leads me to WRC. I love that the regulations are more open than NASCAR, and the car plus its development fascinates me. I am not a motorsports fan who needs side by side racing--although that is what NASCAR strives for. This is what I am really growing to love about WRC. A technically sophisticated machine driven brilliantly over massive changes in terrain. Drive it the fastest, and you win. This is what motorsports should be. I feel that NASCAR is sometimes consumed with manufacturing the side by side stuff, and it isn't necessary for me.

Once again, thank you for asking. I am flattered that you would care. I am enjoying my preparation for the WRC season. I am five races into my study, and really starting to feel prepared. I cannot wait for Monte Carlo!

5. Likes: AL14 (30th December 2016),Eli (5th July 2017),er88 (28th December 2016),Hartusvuori (28th December 2016),hsmed (29th December 2016),jiipee64 (28th December 2016),Munkvy (2nd January 2017),N.O.T (30th December 2016),pantealex (28th December 2016),Rallyper (28th December 2016),raybak (29th December 2016),Sardalense (29th December 2016),seb_sh (28th December 2016),the sniper (28th December 2016)
    Liked 2,836 Times in 1,610 Posts
    OK. Now you´ve found the root of four-wheel motorsport. Congratulations to that. WRC is the top of the line of rallying which, I believe you´ve already understood. It contents national variations in most countries in Europe, Asia, n & S America and oc Australia and NZ.
    Instead of taking one corner thousands of times like in racing a rallydriver takes thousand corners one time.
    Happy to share your motorsport heritage. Now you´ve come home.
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

7. Likes: Revman (28th December 2016)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rallyper View Post
    OK. Now you´ve found the root of four-wheel motorsport. Congratulations to that. WRC is the top of the line of rallying which, I believe you´ve already understood. It contents national variations in most countries in Europe, Asia, n & S America and oc Australia and NZ.
    Instead of taking one corner thousands of times like in racing a rallydriver takes thousand corners one time.
    Happy to share your motorsport heritage. Now you´ve come home.
    Thank you! I have watched six rally reviews so far, and my jaw has not left the floor. Absolutely fabulous stuff! Thanks again for the welcome. I don't want to be a burden, but I sure have learned a lot since joining. Fabulous fans here for sure. You all have my respect.

Liked 2,195 Times in 1,078 Posts
    Dakar rally (which btw has almost nothing to do with WRC kind of events) is 2nd-14th january in Paraguay/Bolivia/Argentina , there is plenty of Toyota´s there...

Many former and current WRC drivers are driving there, like Carlos Sainz double World Rally Champion with Toyota or Sebastian Loeb 9 times World Rally Champion.
    "quattro best 4wd rallycar ever"

Liked 11,150 Times in 4,426 Posts
    Dakar route of this year shall be even more friendy for former WRC drivers than last year if I am not mistaken. Many hard mountain roads with very few desert legs.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

Liked 44 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    Dakar route of this year shall be even more friendy for former WRC drivers than last year if I am not mistaken. Many hard mountain roads with very few desert legs.
    http://urheiluuutiset.com/mikko-hirv...a-jengi-eksyy/
    http://www.dakar.com/dakar/2017/us/route.html#tab6

Mikko Hirvonen thinks it's going to be more Dakar like with less roads than last year. Also navigation is supposed to be harder this year.

12. Likes: Mirek (29th December 2016)
    Quote Originally Posted by pantealex View Post
    Dakar rally (which btw has almost nothing to do with WRC kind of events) is 2nd-14th january in Paraguay/Bolivia/Argentina , there is plenty of Toyota´s there...

Many former and current WRC drivers are driving there, like Carlos Sainz double World Rally Champion with Toyota or Sebastian Loeb 9 times World Rally Champion.
    Yes, I have been enjoying that race for several years now. Surprisingly, we get some daily coverage in the USA.

I am a little concerned about my Toyotas, however. They were set up to take a two wheel drive Hilux, but testing proved that the old four wheel drive would be better. De Villiers commented last year that they needed more performance, and I was hoping that the Evo would provide that. Having said all of that, anything can happen. Toyota really wants this race.

14. Likes: pantealex (29th December 2016)
    Liked 2,261 Times in 892 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    Like Googol says I think it is actually the other way around. I read a quote from Loeb this week saying he fears it will be decided by navigation rather than the speed of the driver/performance of the car. Which he says is less interesting to him.

In Dakar for sure the driver is not always the most important guy in the car.
    RS Motorsport Media - Follow me on Instagram: rsmotorsportmedia