Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
    Liked 661 Times in 290 Posts
    questions for Revman.
    Now that you followed three WRC events what do you think so far ? Are you enjoying the events ? Are you looking forward to rest of WRC season ?
    https://twitter.com/KiwiWRCfan adding a fans perspective to Twitter

Liked 144 Times in 49 Posts
    Thank you so much for caring enough to ask..... Simply, I am absolutely in love with this sport. 100% enjoyed the first three events (obviously Sweden was incredible). As Jari-Matti was in the hunt Sunday of Sweden, I got up in the middle of the night to watch the power stage. Just awesome! What I love the most is the technical aspects of the cars, the set up philosophies, & changing tracks. I think that motorsports in general have moved away from the open development of cars to make sure that competition stays close. I love that a significant part of the WRC is the cars. WRC.com and WRC Plus have given me very acceptable coverage and ways to follow. So, in sum, this sport is exceeding my expectations in terms of my enjoyment! Great stuff! Without question, I am looking forward to the rest of the season!
    Last edited by Revman; 15th March 2017 at 14:59. Reason: Addition

3. Likes: Adler (15th March 2017),eddy707 (15th March 2017),Eli (1st May 2017),EstWRC (15th March 2017),KiwiWRCfan (15th March 2017),Mirek (15th March 2017),pantealex (15th March 2017),Simmi (15th March 2017),TWRC (15th March 2017)
    A couple of newbie questions:

1) How does the recee work? Do the drivers drive the Volvos around the courses on Thursday with co-drivers, and make the notes. Do they already have the notes? How fast do they go? How are they scheduled?

2) How do the gravel crews work? Do they go out in the morning of the rallies to get current conditions, etc. Do they go out each day? How fast do they go? How are they scheduled?

3) Still trying to get my head around the running order. Am I correct that the Championship leader goes first on all Stages on Fridays, and then the order is determined according to the rally standings with the slowest first? Is last always better?

Thanks in advance.

친애하는 지도자
    Liked 2,720 Times in 1,256 Posts
    1. the recce takes place the week before the rally starts they usually cover the stages (2 passes for each) within 2-3 days. They must have a maximum speed of 80 km/hr which is GPS controlled. they use notes from previous years if they are available. Not all recce cars are volvos, a lot use evos and subarus as well, or 2wd normal road going cars with some modifications. The schedule is provided by the organiser and they go in groups according to seeding numbers.

2. the gravel crews go through the stage around 3-4 hours before the start of each, they do not go full speed, they are just there to note any differences in the notes (slippery places, standing water, surfaced rocks ects).

3. the order goes like that.
    Friday - they go according to current championship standing order
    saturday and sunday - Those who retired on friday and are using superrally (only WRC cars) go first then the top 10 of friday go in reverse (it does not matter if you are in a WRC or not, if you are 10th you go first ater the friday retired crews). In general on dry gravel the later you start the better, in muddy conditions the later you start its worse, on dry tarmac if the stage has a lot of cuts then the later you start the worse it is, if it doesn;t you might have a small advantage since you can see the braking points of the car ahead.

6. Likes: A FONDO (30th April 2017),er88 (30th April 2017),EstWRC (30th April 2017),gorganl2000 (2nd May 2017)
    Liked 1,504 Times in 893 Posts
    1) Drivers could drive any car as they want on recce, M-Sport use Volvo's, a special volvo's with some strong protection to just survive some stages. And if you note "cut" you must actually cut on recce, so you must have a strong car if that corner have a rock. For example Lukiyanuk have a rent Norwegian recce car for Rally Sweden.
    Every rally have own recce schedule, but normally it starts at Monday or Tuesday. Each driver can do 2 passes through stage, if stage or rally was new on 1st pass driver call notes and co-driver actually notes it, on 2nd pass co-driver calling notes and if something wrong - driver correct him. If this stage not new for crew - they just adjust own old notes to current situation on stage.
    They have 80kph limit of max speed during a recce.

2. Gravel crew have pacenotes from main crew and just check if something special not come to the stage (ice, mud on tarmac rallys etc). They do ~2hrs before main cars are doing a stage, they didn't have a speed limit or so. And every stage have time witch close to different cars, for public, for safety... and all this times published by organizer, you can easily find it on rally web site.

3. On 1st day all on championship order. 2nd and 3rd day - all finished RC1 cars in reverse order, then Rally2 RC1 cars and then all other as they finish prev. day.

Liked 179 Times in 70 Posts
    In regards to recce and notes, check out this video from Paddon, it has some details on the process.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q7EYVJL9XU

Liked 2,261 Times in 892 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Revman View Post
    2) How do the gravel crews work? Do they go out in the morning of the rallies to get current conditions, etc. Do they go out each day? How fast do they go? How are they scheduled?
    The biggest thing to say about gravel crews is that, despite the name, they are not used on gravel rallies. They are only used on the tarmac events - and only for the full WRC crews. The only exception is Monte Carlo, where the entire field are permitted an 'ice crew' if they want. It works the same way.

As others have said - they come through around 2 hours before the stage. There's doesn't seem to be an exact time or order they are able to come through. Seems to be a balance between coming through as late as possible to get the most accurate conditions, but also having enough time to convey the information to the co-drivers.

These two-man crews use the same reccy cars the drivers/co-drivers used earlier in the week. Quite cool too is the fact that these crews are often ex or even current driver/co-drivers. Examples are Mikko Hirvonen helping Craig Breen this year. Simon Jean-Joseph as Ogier's long-term guy. Pierro Liatti and Fabrizia Pons did gravel crew for Paddon last season.
    RS Motorsport Media - Follow me on Instagram: rsmotorsportmedia

Thank you for the responses. Very much appreciated. What an absolutely fabulous form of motorsport this is!!!!!

11. Likes: abxyz (1st May 2017),EstWRC (1st May 2017)
    I have moved to the level of WRC addiction.

1) I cannot sleep during Rally weekends. I get up several times in the night (US Pacific time) to either watch WRC Plus, or simply watch the splits come in.
    2) I spend my free time watching Rally replays to prepare for the next event.
    3) I just spent 2x what a hat would cost me in the States to purchase a Toyota Gazoo WRC hat.

I love my NASCAR over here in the States--don't get me wrong, but WRC is true racing to me. I don't need the side-by-side stuff some crave. I want sophisticated, finely tuned, highly engineered, even exotic racing machines going as fast as talented drivers can drive them. I watch times. I love that stuff. In terms of pure racing---this is what I have been looking for all of my life. Just love it! Thank you for putting up with me. This forum has taught--and continues to teach me--so much! My thanks to all of you!!!!

13. Likes: EightGear (5th July 2017),hsmed (6th July 2017),NickRally (6th July 2017),pantealex (6th July 2017),Rally Power (6th July 2017)
    Liked 2,261 Times in 892 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Revman View Post
    I have moved to the level of WRC addiction.

1) I cannot sleep during Rally weekends. I get up several times in the night (US Pacific time) to either watch WRC Plus, or simply watch the splits come in.
    2) I spend my free time watching Rally replays to prepare for the next event.
    3) I just spent 2x what a hat would cost me in the States to purchase a Toyota Gazoo WRC hat.

I love my NASCAR over here in the States--don't get me wrong, but WRC is true racing to me. I don't need the side-by-side stuff some crave. I want sophisticated, finely tuned, highly engineered, even exotic racing machines going as fast as talented drivers can drive them. I watch times. I love that stuff. In terms of pure racing---this is what I have been looking for all of my life. Just love it! Thank you for putting up with me. This forum has taught--and continues to teach me--so much! My thanks to all of you!!!!
    Cool to hear Revman. Have you checked out older seasons of the WRC? There's some good stuff if you search around on YouTube. There are some absolute golden years during the 90s, plus the Group B machinery from the mid 80s is epic.
    RS Motorsport Media - Follow me on Instagram: rsmotorsportmedia