Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Wrc2 2017

Liked 213 Times in 107 Posts
    Bryan Bouffier was on french radio (RMC). He told he will do Corsica in WRC2. Then, he will see - or an ERC program, or stay in WRC2.
    Plus a deal is coming in Poland. He looked quite enthusiastic about it.

2. Likes: Fly (8th February 2017),Mirek (8th February 2017),pantealex (8th February 2017),RS (7th February 2017),WUff1 (8th February 2017)
    Liked 1,367 Times in 710 Posts
    Sweden had best RC2 rally in a long time.
    We need the Hyundai R5 to hold a whole rally, to have a threesome of competitive cars.
    PSA will make a new one, and VW also, that will be a Fabia replica I guess. Toyota will make one as well, but no date yet.

So this will be very good series also in years to come.
    need a bit more press in my opinion.

Liked 490 Times in 250 Posts
    Certainly needs more coverage, WRC promoter does it's level best to ignore them. Fortunately the radio show usually does a great job of covering it, but TV-wise they're practically non-existent (although their inclusion in the SSS coverage actually made me watch it!). I've really enjoyed watching the Facebook Live feeds covering the field though, could be superb for rallying in general.

Skoda seem to have the edge still car-wise; when do Ford get their next Evo kit?

Hope to see a few more Hyundais out this year; looking forward to seeing Neuville take on Ypres in June too. I'm guessing there's nothing they can do to improve it now it's homologated, but they may need someone more reliable than Abbring to bring it home.

I think the market could get a bit too oversaturated next year though, if the promised Polo, Yaris and C3 all come to fruition.
    Last edited by dodge33cymru; 12th February 2017 at 13:57.
    aka Rodger Davies

5. Likes: itix (12th February 2017),peter_85 (12th February 2017),steve.mandzij (12th February 2017)
    Liked 2,241 Times in 1,199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dodge33cymru View Post
    Skoda seem to have the edge still car-wise; when do Ford get their next Evo kit?
    I think someone said April?

Thing is Skoda will have an evo this year too..

Liked 3,776 Times in 1,679 Posts
    There is also different problem with WRC2. If you are as a spectator on WRC event and watch WRC cars (especially with this new powerful cars) and then you see R5 cars, it is very big difference and R5 cars looks really much slower. Despite there are good and fast drivers like Mikkelsen, Kopecky, Tidemand or Suninen, difference is really big. You can do what you want, WRC2 will always be "second league of WRC". Everyone will focus mainly to the overall leaderboard of the rally...

8. Likes: br21 (12th February 2017),pantealex (13th February 2017)
    Liked 467 Times in 284 Posts
    I've been thinking the same in the last two rallies, R5s look even more miserable after the new WRCs. Not only speed and soundwise but also the lines they take.

Quote Originally Posted by PLuto View Post
    There is also different problem with WRC2. If you are as a spectator on WRC event and watch WRC cars (especially with this new powerful cars) and then you see R5 cars, it is very big difference and R5 cars looks really much slower. Despite there are good and fast drivers like Mikkelsen, Kopecky, Tidemand or Suninen, difference is really big. You can do what you want, WRC2 will always be "second league of WRC". Everyone will focus mainly to the overall leaderboard of the rally...
    For a manufacturer like Skoda, competing in WRC2 only makes sense from the point of view of promoting the R5 and not the car brand.

Liked 490 Times in 250 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RS View Post
    For a manufacturer like Skoda, competing in WRC2 only makes sense from the point of view of promoting the R5 and not the car brand.
    That's a good point; I always struggled to see why they supported this instead of ERC but that's a fair shout.

You're right that the new WRC cars do make them look a bit slow. When you see them on their own as the top class they really don't seem that way at all (although still sound way too quiet compared to S2000s).
    aka Rodger Davies

Quote Originally Posted by dodge33cymru View Post
    That's a good point; I always struggled to see why they supported this instead of ERC but that's a fair shout.

You're right that the new WRC cars do make them look a bit slow. When you see them on their own as the top class they really don't seem that way at all (although still sound way too quiet compared to S2000s).
    Not so much in Sweden but also often in WRC2 the gaps are so big after one or two days they really are cruising, so not even showing the maximum performance of the cars.

Quote Originally Posted by SlowSon View Post
    I've been thinking the same in the last two rallies, R5s look even more miserable after the new WRCs. Not only speed and soundwise but also the lines they take.
    This also means the jump from R5 to WRC is larger, so that's not particularly healthy for the sport.