Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    Liked 642 Times in 508 Posts
    According to Claire Williams:
    "We need to make sure that if we are to release Valtteri, we have the best credible option to replace him with but also put in the best structure that supports that moving forward. I wish I could announce who it was, but we are still crossing the Ts and dotting the Is at the moment with all of the contracts. We will be making an announcement shortly because we are testing soon and we all want to know who's going to be driving for us."

"We pay for our engines," she continued, "we pay on time for our engines and therefore they don't have any right to come to us and say, 'you need to release this driver for us'. If I decided not to release Valtteri, then Mercedes would be fine and say 'no problem, thank you for thinking about it'."
    Translation, the deal is done, we're just not sure Felipe is a desirable replacement.
    Maybe they are trying to plug Jense into that seat!
    Last edited by Tazio; 15th January 2017 at 21:37.
    May the forza be with you

Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazio View Post
    Maybe they are trying to plug Jense into that seat!
    I find it hard to imagine, given that he seemed happy to be going retirement, and he still has some sort of contract with McLaren. But crazier things have happened. Maybe he could be tempted by the chance to top the list of most Grand Prix starts, which he would with another full season.

Liked 2,195 Times in 1,078 Posts
    Bo77as confirmed.
    "quattro best 4wd rallycar ever"

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    The worst kept secret in F1 announced

Liked 642 Times in 508 Posts
    Ok it's official! Now I'll be interested to see if Bottas is allowed to go all Rosberg on The Boss' ass!
    May the forza be with you

Liked 192 Times in 174 Posts
    Boring for boring I guess...... Toto got his wish (and his fee)
    Tito Vilanova = :champion:

Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts
    Bottas will have the same weakness Rosberg had in 14. Despite his experience in F1. He doesn't have running-at-the-front-in-F1 experience. This is different to just being in F1. He has a car that will be good enough. Unlike with Maldonado and Massa, Hamilton will expose weaknesses he'll have.

He'll have a challenging year ahead regardless. His reputation will be built from his 2nd year.

Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    Valtteri has got into a seat that most drivers on the grid would sell their grandmothers for. Congratulations to him. Currently his F1 record stands at 0 pole positions and 0 wins. He now has a great chance to change those numbers. How many do we think he'll get?

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    Valtteri has got into a seat that most drivers on the grid would sell their grandmothers for. Congratulations to him. Currently his F1 record stands at 0 pole positions and 0 wins. He now has a great chance to change those numbers. How many do we think he'll get?
    He'll get some wins and I expect he'll be reasonably close to Hamilton. I think he'll get closer to him throughout the season. Don't know about wins and pole positions as that completely depends on the car Mercedes provide the two. I'd suspect Hamilton will win one or two GP's regardless and grab one or two poles. I'm not so sure about Bottas and how he'll do out the front of the grid but I suspect he'll do okay just not spectacularly.

Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    He'll get some wins and I expect he'll be reasonably close to Hamilton. I think he'll get closer to him throughout the season. Don't know about wins and pole positions as that completely depends on the car Mercedes provide the two. I'd suspect Hamilton will win one or two GP's regardless and grab one or two poles. I'm not so sure about Bottas and how he'll do out the front of the grid but I suspect he'll do okay just not spectacularly.

I think Valteri will do just fine but I am not convinced that Merc will necessarily be the best car in 2017. The last time we had big car spec changes it helped a team dominate and now we have another big car Aero/grip change that may well shift the balance. You'd think that this should reward Red Bull more than the others but isn't it about Ferrari's turn to dominate for a spell?

Not even pre-season testing yet but I'm gonna stick my neck out and say that Ferrari or RB are probably going to win the manufacturers title next year... based on nothing other than a hunch... and a hunch based on nothing other than a sense of the Regulation 'winds of change'.