Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    I would be happy with any of the suggested names as I like all of them.

Bottas would be great as I'd like to see what he can do in a top team - likewise with Grosjean. Alonso would be great for obvious reasons, and Sainz in a top team would be highly motivated to demonstrate that he's just as good as Verstappen.

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    I think Wehrlein would be up to the job. I think he is as good as Verstapenn and Sainz. He just could not show his true talent in the Manor. But he did give us a glimpse of what he might be capable of. He and Ocon are the future of Mercedes, l see no reason why they would not bring him into the main team and start to nurture him properly. I cannot see a better opportunity to make him a championship winner material than partnering him with a three time world champion like Hamilton.

While l like the Alonso idea, it seems too shortsighted to me. He his closer to the end of his career than Rosberg was. Bottas on the other hand would give Mercedes a longer service, but that may have the effect of keeping Wehrlein and Ocon from a silver arrow seat until Hamilton retires. Depending on how well Bottas performs of course.

The long game would be to promote Wehrlein into the spare seat. He would reward Mercedes with a number of world championships in a few years, l am sure.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 7th December 2016 at 23:24.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I think Wehrlein will get the job.

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    http://www.espn.com.au/f1/story/_/id...mercedes-drive
    Kamui Kobayashi has thrown his hat into the ring for a Mercedes drive after the world champions posted a job advert for Nico Rosberg's vacant seat.
    - ESPN, 9th Dec 2016.

With the exception of convincing Nico to come back, this is the path of least resistance to get the best driver. He should have won Le Mans this year if it wasn't for the fact that the Toyota shat itself with less than 5 minutes to go.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    For a start Alonso is not cheap. Also Mclaren would ask for a huge amount to let Alonso go. I can't see it happening but weirder things has happened in this sport.
    I don't know why McLaren wouldn't want to release Alonso from contract, besides the fact that Alonso's (and Button's) driving was the only thing that saved McLaren from a complete and total humiliation. In the end, they're paying a ridiculous amount of money for driving a car that regularly fights with Toro Rossos on the field. I think it would have been wiser for McLaren to save some money while at the same time developing young talent.

Quote Originally Posted by zako85 View Post
    I don't know why McLaren wouldn't want to release Alonso from contract, besides the fact that Alonso's (and Button's) driving was the only thing that saved McLaren from a complete and total humiliation. In the end, they're paying a ridiculous amount of money for driving a car that regularly fights with Toro Rossos on the field. I think it would have been wiser for McLaren to save some money while at the same time developing young talent.
    I suppose they think Alonso is their best shot at mounting a serious challenge for the constructors and driver titles if they somehow get it right next year and find themselves in the sharp end of the grid. It is a mutual gamble, if Mclaren falls short next year, l would bet my last dollar that Alonso would walk away from Mclaren.

Probably, Alonso's best chance of winning another world championship is in the next three years, after which, he would unlikely be an attractive proposition for top teams. I would wager that Alonso in the Mercedes in 2017 may win the title by 2018 at the latest.

As far as it goes with Mercedes, they have been caught out by the shock withdrawal of Rosberg. But they just have to bide their time for one year and pick their preferred choice in 2018. Most of the best drivers on the grid have their contracts ending in 2018. Vettel, Ricciado and Alonso would be available at that point, so why fret now. Personally, l think they should experiment with Wehrlein in 2017 and see how he copes with a season alongside one of the very best in the game. It is risky for Wehrlein, but it would be a great experience for him and he would learn so much from seeing a three times world champion put together a campaign for the 2017 driver's title from inside Mercedes.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 9th December 2016 at 18:58.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 100 Times in 76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    Personally, l think they should experiment with Wehrlein in 2017 and see how he copes with a season alongside one of the very best in the game. It is risky for Wehrlein, but it would be a great experience for him and he would learn so much from seeing a three times world champion put together a campaign for the 2017 driver's title from inside Mercedes.
    How well do you think he has done against Ocon? Qualifying was much better, race pace, not so much.

There's always Perez, everyone seems to have ignored him, but I'm sure FI will agree to discounted engines...

Quote Originally Posted by Koz View Post
    How well do you think he has done against Ocon? Qualifying was much better, race pace, not so much.

There's always Perez, everyone seems to have ignored him, but I'm sure FI will agree to discounted engines...
    Brazil was not a good race for Wehrlein. He did not maintain the heat in his tyres as well as Ocon did and he suffered for it. Much like Rosberg in the wet at Monaco this year. Apart from that he has always finished most races ahead of Ocon this year. Even when he had a bad qualifying. This is not to suggest that Ocon is not a good driver. What l am getting at is that Wehrlein has always been able to show that he had more experience than Ocon. That said, Ocon has also showed that with a little more time, he would match or even beat Wehrlein. From what l have seen, they are very closely matched with Wehrlein having a slender edge.

I think these two in a Silver Arrow would offer the same level of exciting entertainment as the Hamilton vs Rosberg rivary. And l look forward to it.

Wehrlein in the Mercedes would win races next season. If Verstapenn can do it, l bet Wehrlein can do it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Koz View Post
    There is too much hassle surrounding Perez. As a money bag driver with immense talent, the impact of pricing him away from the clutches of Force India who relies on both his talent and money bag would be troublesome to the Mercedes - Force India relationship. If he was out of contract, Perez would be one of the names highly talked about for this seat. I rate him highly actually. I think in a great car, he would win a drivers world title.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 10th December 2016 at 10:30.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    In races where they both finished, Ocon and Wehrlein were exactly even, 3 each. Including retirements (at least one of which was of Wehrlein's own doing) it was 6-3 in Ocon's favour. Given their relative levels of experience, I think that reflects either well on Ocon or poorly on Wehrlein.

According to PlanetF1, Massa says he would come out of retirement for a Mercedes seat. Firstly, this says Massa stopped because Williams wasn't going anywhere for his liking and there wasn't any interesting option for him. Secondly, Massa and Hamilton kinda hate each other. Massa felt the 2008 title was stolen from him and would like to return the favour. A Hamilton- Massa partnership would be just as entertaining as a Hamilton - Alonso partnership for the obvious reasons.

But has Massa still got what it takes. Can he match Hamilton on pace? Can he function without Smedley?
    William Shakespeare