Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Rosbergs replacement

Just seen a short clip of Toto been interviewed by Sky Sports saying that they have to consider Alonso for 2017.

I reckon Fernándo's management are currently negotiating with Mercedes/McLaren for him to jump ship and pair up with Lewis for 2017, and that would be a mighty team with I am sure plenty of controversy.

Will Jenson consider staying as the number 1, or will we get musical chairs f1 style.

I think the Mercs are keen on making a decision ASAP so we will soon see.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    I just can't see it being Alonso. I don't think a throwaway comment when prodded by a journalist means they're seriously considering him. Surely Mercedes will look to the future with a younger driver.

Still, if it does happen, and Button does come back to fill his seat at McLaren, that would be, what, Jenson's 3rd retirement that didn't take? Or 4th?

Liked 203 Times in 148 Posts
    I think it's very unlikely that Mercedes will be bringing Alonso in. Rather than the fireworks arising from a Hamilton-Alonso fight, I'm expecting McLaren to have tied him down. I would be very surprised if Macca had allowed Alonso to treat them just a stopgap solution and given him an exit clause. Top teams don't usually do that kind of stuff.

As I already mentioned in a different thread, Joe Saward believes that the most suitable options for Merc right now are Romain Grosjean and Valtteri Bottas, with Carlos Sainz a distant third, as it's unlikely that RBR will be letting go of their investment.

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Klinsman View Post
    Just seen a short clip of Toto been interviewed by Sky Sports saying that they have to consider Alonso for 2017.

I reckon Fernándo's management are currently negotiating with Mercedes/McLaren for him to jump ship and pair up with Lewis for 2017, and that would be a mighty team with I am sure plenty of controversy.

Will Jenson consider staying as the number 1, or will we get musical chairs f1 style.

I think the Mercs are keen on making a decision ASAP so we will soon see.

For a start Alonso is not cheap. Also Mclaren would ask for a huge amount to let Alonso go. I can't see it happening but weirder things has happened in this sport.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 6th December 2016 at 18:33.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by N4D13 View Post
    I think it's very unlikely that Mercedes will be bringing Alonso in. Rather than the fireworks arising from a Hamilton-Alonso fight, I'm expecting McLaren to have tied him down. I would be very surprised if Macca had allowed Alonso to treat them just a stopgap solution and given him an exit clause. Top teams don't usually do that kind of stuff.

As I already mentioned in a different thread, Joe Saward believes that the most suitable options for Merc right now are Romain Grosjean and Valtteri Bottas, with Carlos Sainz a distant third, as it's unlikely that RBR will be letting go of their investment.
    I don't really rate Grosjean, and found it bizarre when he was initially linked to Ferrari before Kimi extended his contract.

Bottas I would say would be a good team mate for Lewis, I think he would certainly give him a run for his money.

6. Likes: andyone (11th December 2016)
    Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    For a start Alonso is not cheap. Also Mclaren would ask for a huge amount to let Alonso go. I can't see it happening but weirder things has happened in this sport.
    Yeah you never know Mercedes have deep pockets remember.

Also as far as sponsorship and publicity is concerned they will command the full attention of motor sport in general.

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    I don't really rate Grosjean, and found it bizarre when he was initially linked to Ferrari before Kimi extended his contract.

Bottas I would say would be a good team mate for Lewis, I think he would certainly give him a run for his money.

Obviously those inside the sport rank him higher than those outside, not sure why.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Yeah you never know Mercedes have deep pockets remember.

Also as far as sponsorship and publicity is concerned they will command the full attention of motor sport in general.

It would be the strongest driver lineup on the grid in 2017 certainly. It would definitely provide some entertaining action from start to finish of the 2017 season. The promoters would love it and it would be a great christmas present to the press. But you have to spare a thought for Mclaren if they lose their star driver, their prospect in 2017 would be somewhat dampened.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 47 Times in 35 Posts
    Finlands Valtieri Bottas
    I am informed by Finns that are in the know .
    And Willams will get a sweetener as regards Mercedes engines
    And Bottas,s manager is Mr Woolf

Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    I guess a question is has Toto been secretly enjoying all the attention the team gets as a result of the conflicts between Hamilton or Rosberg. If yes, then Alonso. If no, then Bottas.

12. Likes: andyone (11th December 2016)