Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Liked 385 Times in 191 Posts
    Classy decision from Niko. No need to cash on status. Been there done that kind of approach.

Wehrlein or Bottas will replace him

2. Likes: journeyman racer (1st January 2017),Mia 01 (3rd December 2016)
    Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    Yeah they have both matured over the last 10 years and I don't see a future pairing being as difficult as the one McLaren had to endure. Both of them as team mates again would be a mouth watering prospect though!

There is another fly in the ointment here, had there been no sweeping rule changes then Mercedes would have been without question the place to drive but now that there is, there is no guarantee of their competitiveness for next year so a driver going to their team is taking a bigger gamble than they normally would have than say this had happened last year. Plus, never in F1 history has any teams dominance survived massive rule changes.

So, will drivers want to take the risk to drive for Merc is the question?
    I have to agree, there would be more respect between them this time round. That said, when they put rubber to tarmac, an almighty rivalry would commence. Mercedes culture may not suite Alonso who likes to gain advantage by making the team focus on him. Mercedes would have a job on their hands maintaining a semblance of parity between the pairing. It would be as tough as the Hamilton vs Rosberg rivalry and possibly more.

One thing would be certain though, Hamilton would have his work cut out with an Alonso or Vettel pairing.

On Mercedes' competitiveness next season, it is true that they may not turn out to be the most dominant force in 2017. I think there is still an engine component to performance next year. Hence l expect them to be there or thereabout. I fully expect them to be winning races. If they would be able to win enough races to be constructors and driver champions, is yet to be seen. I don't think Mercedes is that much of a risk. They are certainly a less risk than Ferrari or Mclaren on paper.

Redbull are showing signs of confidence in their 2017 package. If Adrian Newey has anything to do with the chassis, then you can be relatively sure that they possibly have a winner.

Mclaren is a dark horse going into 2017, but with the change at the top, expectations are dampened somewhat. But they may prove us wrong and really establish themselves as a frontline contender.

There is a question mark on Ferrari, which is one of the reasons most would expect Vettel to jump ship and head to Mercedes which on paper looks like a better bet than Ferrari for the 2017 season. That said, they are redesigning and reconstructing their car for the 2017 season. They may well get it right and become the dominant force for the next three to four years.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 3rd December 2016 at 12:07.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 193 Times in 131 Posts
    I truly will miss Nico! He is leaving a big hole in the Mercedes team, now Lewis, whitout competition, can rack up a number of WDC. I fear this. Hope Alonso or Vettel takes his seat.

Liked 47 Times in 35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Once your kids are a little older they don't need you quite as much. He's still a young man and wouldn't be the first to retire then come back.
    Your gonna tell me Jaques Villenueve will make a comeback too Mark ! Rosberg is a Millionaire from Keke and in his own right .IF he comes back in a few years the sport will have moved on ,and IF he admits its difficult now ,it wont get any easier ,and if he does then I will bare my ar** in Marks and Spenc
    ers window

6. Likes: journeyman racer (1st January 2017)
    Liked 76 Times in 56 Posts
    Although I don't think Mercedes favour their German drivers, I do think that they'd like to have at least one German driving the car. So I say their top choices would be Wehrlein or Vettel, depending on if they're looking for a veteran or not.

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    Half F1 grid is after Rosberg's seat, says Lauda
    http://www.reuters.com/article/us-mo...medium=partner
    https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/f...oes-where.html
    Nico Rosberg had more scrutiny, given that his contract expired at the end of the current season, but negotiations began early and despite rumoured interest from Ferrari both parties confirmed a two-year extension in July, shortly before Rosberg's home race.

Wehrlein, 21, scored Manor's only point of the year in Austria, whilst his qualifying performance at the same venue prompted Silver Arrows chief Toto Wolff to describe him as 'special'.

one driver MAY BE massa
    VERSTAPPEN: ‘If I’d let Sainz past, dad would’ve kicked me in the nuts!’

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    Plus, never in F1 history has any teams dominance survived massive rule changes.
    SHENANIGANS!

McLaren Honda.
    1988 - 1.5L V6 turbo
    1989 - 3.5 V10

Honda as an engine supplier went from the 1.5L turbo cars to 3.5L normally aspirated cars and won five in a row in the process.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

10. Likes: journeyman racer (1st January 2017),steveaki13 (4th December 2016),Storm (5th December 2016)
    Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    Lauda: "Rosberg gave Mercedes no time for a back-up plan".

Wow! Mercedes didn't have a contingency plan in case their World Champion driver (which ever driver won the championship) decided to retire on top of his game?
    Come on Niki!
    The secret to winning races: More Throttle, Less Brake.

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    SHENANIGANS!

McLaren Honda.
    1988 - 1.5L V6 turbo
    1989 - 3.5 V10

Honda as an engine supplier went from the 1.5L turbo cars to 3.5L normally aspirated cars and won five in a row in the process.
    Those rule changes mainly impacted the Engine supplier rather than the constructor themselves. The impact to the chassis wasn't huge in the rules for 1989.

I'm sure were this years rule changes mainly Engine orientated Mercedes would be top of the list given their history of producing top class engines.

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nem14 View Post
    Lauda: "Rosberg gave Mercedes no time for a back-up plan".

Wow! Mercedes didn't have a contingency plan in case their World Champion driver (which ever driver won the championship) decided to retire on top of his game?
    Come on Niki!
    Why would they? It's the first time in F1 history that a driver has turned their back on a team and career in such a dramatic fashion. It couldn't have been foreseen. Even Ferrari didn't have a reserve driver lined up toe replace Felipe after his 09 crash. That was incredible but not really this.