Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: WRC Trophy

Liked 377 Times in 187 Posts
    I'm with AnttiL. The cause for Bertelli competing in the WRC is the combination of a premature midlife crisis and a monstrosity of a silver spoon, and nobody is impressed. I'm not trying to imply that he is entirely talentless but if you are say a decent amateur footballer and for whatever reason you get a chance to play with people way better than you, at first it's fun but on a regular basis you just look like a tool and you would feel like one too when you're always the one giving the ball away. In WRC Trophy or even WRC2 he could see his own progress and a fight with a veteran or a youngster is surely more meaningful than trailing even the off-form works drivers by minutes.

But then we don't have to get it I suppose.

2. Likes: AL14 (9th May 2017)
    Liked 2,261 Times in 892 Posts
    I don't really agree Watson.

It's about mentality and why you do it. In the case of Bertelli, I think he's taking advantage of the opportunities rallying presents. Specifically that with the right budget you can have access to the exact same car as the world champion, and you can legitimately pit yourself against the best in the world. I think he's working on improving his time-loss per kilometre.

I have to assume that is a bigger attraction to him than battling maybe one or two other drivers for a meaningless pot. If he really wanted competition he'd be in WRC2. But he has the means to be at the very top. I can't blame him for not targeting the 'I beat Martin Prokop Trophy'.
    RS Motorsport Media - Follow me on Instagram: rsmotorsportmedia

친애하는 지도자
    Liked 2,720 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
    I don't really agree Watson.

It's about mentality and why you do it. In the case of Bertelli, I think he's taking advantage of the opportunities rallying presents. Specifically that with the right budget you can have access to the exact same car as the world champion, and you can legitimately pit yourself against the best in the world. I think he's working on improving his time-loss per kilometre.

I have to assume that is a bigger attraction to him than battling maybe one or two other drivers for a meaningless pot. If he really wanted competition he'd be in WRC2. But he has the means to be at the very top. I can't blame him for not targeting the 'I beat Martin Prokop Trophy'.

LOL.

5. Likes: Simmi (8th May 2017)
    Liked 377 Times in 187 Posts
    I know what you mean Simmi. I just don't see the thrill in it. Surely it must be great fun to hoon around in the latest spec car but then he'll never be able to consideringly close the gap to the big boys in this lifetime, will he? I know I'm repeating myself but sport is first and foremost about competition and if he doesn't want any he might as well just buy the car and a forest and go pedal to the metal there.

Then again, it does not bother me and any car on the start list is healthy for the WRC. I just don't understand what he gets out of it and that is fine also.

Liked 2,264 Times in 944 Posts
    Bertelli is just a spoiled kid that rates himself way much higher than he actually is because (it seems to me) he has been accustomed to it when he was a child.

I know I may sound superficial but it seems so clear to me. This guy tries to convince himself he is worth it everytime, and then fail miserably, but after 3 years he is still there. I agree with Watson, when you play with the big boys it's funny at first... but then you begin to become pathetic when you lose the ball continuously.
    Last edited by AL14; 9th May 2017 at 17:23.

8. Likes: AnttiL (9th May 2017),EightGear (9th May 2017)
    Liked 544 Times in 302 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    Could we finally have some competition in this class?

Could someone tell me what's the motivation for Bertelli to drive a 2017 car and not compete the WRC Trophy? His speed clearly isn't on the level of the works drivers or Østberg, he has basically no one to compete with.

Raimund Baumschlager drove a 2016 Polo in an Austrian event a week ago, maybe he could do a WRC event? Or do you have to pre-enter to WRC Trophy at the beginning of the season?
    He has the money to do it, so he does it for his own stimulation.

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    What is the future of this class? Will it continue to 2018? Will we have new competitors?

Liked 3,476 Times in 1,016 Posts
    There's no point of continuing this tourist trophy. All respect for people who like to enjoy their expensive hobby, but they don't belong there, between WRC and WRC2. I hope the FIA puts an end to this misery.

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommeke_B View Post
    There's no point of continuing this tourist trophy. All respect for people who like to enjoy their expensive hobby, but they don't belong there, between WRC and WRC2. I hope the FIA puts an end to this misery.
    I mean, have no problem with the tourists entering their cars, but at least their class should start after WRC2 to prevent incidents like Kopecky being slowed down by Serderidis on a long stage in Catalunya. And if there's lack of WRC17 cars on the power stage, the WRC2 leaders should be shown instead. And luckily the latter is what they've started to do towards the end of the season. The same should go for WRC radio, if they have time to interview 3 drivers after the last WRC17 car, we get the Trophy guys instead of the WRC2 leaders that could be actually interesting.

13. Likes: Archie Gillaine (16th October 2017),Mirek (16th October 2017),Teme (16th October 2017),tommeke_B (16th October 2017)
    Liked 2,261 Times in 892 Posts
    Yeah it's really added nothing at all to the show this season. Just messed up the seeding a bit like AnttiL says.

I maintain it was worth a try but the demand just isn't there. It was also quite interesting that the people who most vocally appeared to call for this - M-Sport - barely had any involvement in the trophy. I think their Fiestas are all being rallied elsewhere.
    RS Motorsport Media - Follow me on Instagram: rsmotorsportmedia

15. Likes: AnttiL (16th October 2017),Archie Gillaine (16th October 2017)