Page 51 of 52 FirstFirst ... 4149505152 LastLast
    Liked 44 Times in 18 Posts
    Revman, teams were allowed a certain number of "jokers" to spend on updating homologated parts (it's not free-for-all like F1 for example), split between engine and chassis. How they count each update is a bit open to debate, so one joker could be a single new hole on the OEM chassis or 1 bodywork and all other panels that connect to it... So for you it would be a bit of work (but fun) trying to figure out who used the jokers on what without looking at the homologation dossier. It's a "use it or lose it" situation so one can assume every team used their full allowance (or maybe not??). For 2018 there are less jokers available, so they must be more selective about what is worth upgrading this way. Then there are parts which are homologated but multiple options are allows and can be added through the year (every 3 months) without restriction. The distinction between the two types of homologation would not be obvious without reading the technical regulation, unfortunately.

So what it all means is, some cars may look obviously different externally, while some may not, but you bet all of them would have had upgrades throughout 2017 and between the seasons for parts where jokers were not needed. I think most cars had one or two clear deficiencies, which would have been the focus of upgrades. We will now wait for Monte Carlo 2018 to see how well they improved them.

2. Likes: AnttiL (13th December 2017),Eli (14th December 2017),Mirek (14th December 2017),pantealex (14th December 2017),Rally Power (14th December 2017),sonnybobiche (13th December 2017),TWRC (14th December 2017)
    Liked 290 Times in 113 Posts
    Are wiring harnesses/ECU box/electric gubbins homologated?

Liked 44 Times in 18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sonnybobiche View Post
    Are wiring harnesses/ECU box/electric gubbins homologated?
    Mostly, yes.

5. Likes: sonnybobiche (15th December 2017)
    Liked 144 Times in 49 Posts
    Thank you for this reply. Tremendous. Do you see any trends regarding the aero (given that this is what we can see)? I read on one site that Toyota may have narrowed the front bodywork, revised the "grill" area, and added an upper dive plane to offset the massive wing. All speculation, or do you think this is a legit analysis?

7. Likes: sonnybobiche (15th February 2019)
    Liked 11,137 Times in 4,419 Posts
    I have one question...

Does anyone remember whether they kept using cross-tyre setups with 2017 cars? I am asking because unlike the old generation cars the new ones have active center differential.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

9. Likes: AnttiL (1st January 2018)
    Liked 377 Times in 187 Posts
    Does anyone know why in the WRC they use only one shift pedal where you pull to change gears up and push to change gear down instead of the two pedals they use in other series?

Liked 30 Times in 18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Watson View Post
    Does anyone know why in the WRC they use only one shift pedal where you pull to change gears up and push to change gear down instead of the two pedals they use in other series?
    I guess the purpose is to keep left hand handle the steering wheel while the right hands are all about shifting & handbraking.

Mitsubishi experiment double paddles in 2005 though

Liked 377 Times in 187 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mArvAlcao17 View Post
    I guess the purpose is to keep left hand handle the steering wheel while the right hands are all about shifting & handbraking.

Mitsubishi experiment double paddles in 2005 though
    Oh I see. Rallycars probably have more turning lock and therefore more turns from lock to lock so the shiftpedal on the left might be clumsy to reach in certain situations.

Liked 11,137 Times in 4,419 Posts
    Usual lock-to-lock rotation in WRC cars is 1,5 if I am not mistaken.

Liked 386 Times in 167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    I have one question...

Does anyone remember whether they kept using cross-tyre setups with 2017 cars? I am asking because unlike the old generation cars the new ones have active center differential.
    I can`t remember which rally it was but at least Latvala used cross setting as he complained about the behavior when they hadn`t used it i testing and the car felt nervous on the rally, also based on the Michelin reports of what tires each crew had they would almost have been forced to use cross settings.

15. Likes: dimviii (2nd January 2018),Mirek (2nd January 2018),pantealex (2nd January 2018)