Page 35 of 52 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast
    Liked 233 Times in 115 Posts
    Actually to add to my post above, the mud guards in front of the wheels are not part of the FIA requirements as far as I can see.

Liked 314 Times in 170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NickRally View Post
    Actually to add to my post above, the mud guards in front of the wheels are not part of the FIA requirements as far as I can see.
    I read the regulation to mean that mud flaps in front of the front wheels are optional but those shown on the drawing in front of the rear wheels are required. Either way you don't have them on tarmac so both configurations really need to be tested and the rest of the bodywork needs to be optimised to deliver the desired performance compromise between both.

Looking at the image below, I can't see mud flaps in front of the rear wheels:

http://www.rallyitaliasardegna.com/w...HANNINEN-1.JPG

Last edited by NickRally; 28th June 2017 at 20:15.

Liked 777 Times in 419 Posts
    Too much dampers and aero lately!
    Saw this picture in one of Dimitris posts:

And it got me thinking. The Yaris has the radiators in-line with the intercooler first (also a massive intercooler) and the engine radiator second. It makes sense from a power perspective given that the colder and denser the air is, the more you can manage to squeeze into the engine. It does however channel warmer air through the radiator and could explain the cooling problems they had at warmer rallies. Do we know the other team's set up?

Liked 16,091 Times in 6,982 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by itix View Post
    that's why I posted this photo,hadnt seen like this before.

Liked 784 Times in 390 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by itix View Post

And it got me thinking. The Yaris has the radiators in-line with the intercooler first (also a massive intercooler) and the engine radiator second. It makes sense from a power perspective given that the colder and denser the air is, the more you can manage to squeeze into the engine. It does however channel warmer air through the radiator and could explain the cooling problems they had at warmer rallies. Do we know the other team's set up?
    The Yaris has two radiators with the intercooler in the middle. The intercooler is not in front of the radiators. All three are on the same plane.

Liked 777 Times in 419 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by racerx1979 View Post
    The Yaris has two radiators with the intercooler in the middle. The intercooler is not in front of the radiators. All three are on the same plane.
    That may be, but what would the end ones be then? There are no visible pipes going in or out. Behind is most definitely the main radiator as you can see the coolant pipes going in and out of it.

For me the black strips are just something to fix the radiators in place because it looks like double end tanks where the coolant pipes enter the radiator. That's why I thought the entire front was an intercooler. The side ones are too big to be oil and gearbox coolers in my opinion.

Liked 16,091 Times in 6,982 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by racerx1979 View Post
    we have to watch some better photos,the right one as we look the photo is definitely intercooler,just watch the pipe which comes from behind the engine where I suppose is the turbo.
    for sure something different we ve seen till now,thats why I posted the photo.
    Can we have some more photos closer to engine bay?

Liked 784 Times in 390 Posts
    The right and left coolers have small inlets /outlets. Not large enough for an intercooler. The center end tank is sufficient for an intercooler. I'll try to find a better image.

racerx1979 is right, the centre one has the right size pipe for an intercooler (interestingly it is an air-to-air one), while the hoses on the two radiators either side are the right size for the cooling system, which could have the two radiators working in parallel (most likely) or in series:

I went through my files and only found a similar image for one other car - the Citroen, which I took in Portugal:

Last edited by NickRally; 1st July 2017 at 00:21.