Page 18 of 52 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
    Liked 52 Times in 28 Posts
    If these pics. are to believe, Fiesta is technicaly the shortest car, to my surprise, I was sure Yaris is the smallest.

Liked 782 Times in 309 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by J_n_z View Post
    If these pics. are to believe, Fiesta is technicaly the shortest car, to my surprise, I was sure Yaris is the smallest.
    Shortest wheelbase at least, the Yaris overall length might still be shorter.

Liked 168 Times in 128 Posts
    Pictures are also showing Citroen with longest wheelbase, but that should be the Hyundai, so the numbers look suspicious too.

Liked 233 Times in 115 Posts
    According to the official Hyundai Motorsport site, i20 is 2570mm wheelbase:

i20 wheelbase.JPG

I guess I need to run it through an image processing software and find out which one is correct.

Liked 216 Times in 105 Posts
    Apparently Mads Ostberg did Sweden without the Centre diff mapped... According to https://www.motorsport.com/wrc/news/...or-wrc-876831/

To quote - "I didn’t use the centre differential, we just locked it because we didn't have time to work out the settings." Which is interesting, wonder how much impact that had on the handling!

Finally some time to write few lines on the Toyota images I uploaded earlier.
    (1) The diffuser is shorter than the Fiesta, but I suspect this was in order to allow it to be more steeply raked inside the constraints placed by the road car package and regulation requirements. Part of this is the necessity to place the transition point (2) from the flat floor into the diffuser further back than the Fiesta. This arrangement will produce more suction at the transition point resulting in more downforce from the floor area. To an extent, people might be put off by higher diffuser angles as they will be more sensitive to ride height changes, but I genuinely can’t imagine this being a problem on the current rally cars (it would have been noticeable on the old flat bottom cars). Once again it would appear the lower edge of the diffuser strakes is touch below the flat floor ahead of the diffuser. Also note the small gap between the suspension guard and the floor with the shape of the guard having a nice curvature around the suspension opening – whether the gap is supposed to be there or shows detached guard, is not clear to me at this stage.
    In (3) and (4) you can see the most interesting in my view feature on the Yaris, the side Venturi tunnels - I suppose they were made easier by the narrower road car width. I am not entirely clear (that is I am not clear until the technical document outlining these features becomes available) how much mods to the original bodyshell are permitted under the new rules in order to fit such tunnel, and so the question remains could a team like Citroen for example have fitted such tunnels in their design with the wider road car package. Nevertheless a nice feature on the Toyota and a well done to the designers, it reminds me of the early F1 ground effect cars of 1979-1980 with their separate (to the main tunnel) side Venturi tunnels placed ahead of the rear wheels and very steeply raked (you can check Ligier of this period for a good example of this).
    In (5) you can see the flat underbody side panels on the Ford and the Citroen (Hyundai is similar). Once again it is yet to be established if the designers of the rival squads struggled to fit these and decided against them as not being very effective or simply did not think of employing such features.
    On (6) there are some areas where the floor is not smooth/flat, which is not present on other photographs (i.e. they are closed off creating smooth floor) – not sure if this is packaging/ballast/weight/tuning tool or something to do with the aero platform. This appears to be happening (on/off panels) on all the cars.
    On (7) you can see two examples of the rear suspension guards – on the left nicely attached and on the right detached from the floor – I suspect these guards will form a constant part of the faults meetings in the team post every rally .
    And on (8) below (additional photo), you can see the trimmed central part of the front splitter skirt as pointed out by J_n_z (thanks J_n_z) – I wasn’t sure how much effect this would have with the ride heights being run, but after pondering it, I suppose the skirt itself will have the effect of artificially reducing the effective ride height (i.e. the effective ride height that the air sees which will most likely be smaller than the actual skirt gap) and so by trimming it in the central portion, it acts in a similar manner to the raised front splitter on the sports prototype cars for example.

http://www.geocities.ws/rallytech/ae...20Aero%207.JPG

One other interesting feature that might be present on the 2017 WRC cars could be some small Venturi tunnels/diffusers ahead of each front wheel, but I haven’t yet seen good photos proving or disproving their presence. I am also not entirely sure how effective they would be with the front splitter skirt present ahead of them. We will have to wait for some better photos there.

Regards,
    Nick
    Last edited by NickRally; 26th February 2017 at 18:44.

7. Likes: itix (27th February 2017),sonnybobiche (9th March 2017)
    Liked 55 Times in 29 Posts

Any idea why we can't see no pipe from the inlet in front of the rear wheel to the rear brakes ?
    As we can see on the other cars...
    http://wrc.is.free.fr

Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
    And on (8) below (additional photo), you can see the trimmed central part of the front splitter skirt as pointed out by J_n_z (thanks J_n_z) – I wasn’t sure how much effect this would have with the ride heights being run, but after pondering it, I suppose the skirt itself will have the effect of artificially reducing the effective ride height (i.e. the effective ride height that the air sees which will most likely be smaller than the actual skirt gap) and so by trimming it in the central portion, it acts in a similar manner to the raised front splitter on the sports prototype cars for example.

http://www.geocities.ws/rallytech/ae...20Aero%207.JPG

One other interesting feature that might be present on the 2017 WRC cars could be some small Venturi tunnels/diffusers ahead of each front wheel, but I haven’t yet seen good photos proving or disproving their presence. I am also not entirely sure how effective they would be with the front splitter skirt present ahead of them. We will have to wait for some better photos there.

Regards,
    Nick[/QUOTE]

Hi Nick,

great to read your analysis. But in one point I have to contradict (if this is the right word in English). My opinion: The middle part of the front splitter is simply higher off the ground because usually the middle of a normal road (other than a race track) is a little bit higher compared to where the wheels are placed on the road. So having the middle of the front splitter a little bit higher prevents the splitter from being damaged.

What do you think?

10. Likes: sonnybobiche (9th March 2017)
    Thanks Oppositelock, you could well be correct there - I seem to have my "aero hat" permanently on , but it could simply have been done for basic road clearance reasons.

12. Likes: sonnybobiche (9th March 2017)
    Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post

Any idea why we can't see no pipe from the inlet in front of the rear wheel to the rear brakes ?
    As we can see on the other cars...
    Is the car in a fully built state regarding the brakes or are there more bits to go on as far as the brakes are concerned? I.e. I can't see one at the front either, but the angle is not great for this.