Page 26 of 52 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast
    Liked 16,087 Times in 6,980 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NickRally View Post
    Thanks dimviii, just from curiosity point of view - do we know this for certain (about the mechanical front diff on the current WRC cars) and if yes, one more question – how do we know this ?
    they cant use something else,they have to use mechanical diffs,as they are not allowed active diffs, at front/rear.

Liked 233 Times in 115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dimviii View Post
    they cant use something else,they have to use mechanical diffs,as they are not allowed active diffs, at front/rear.
    Hm, I went through the tech rules and couldn’t see a restriction in terms of the operation (i.e. mechanical/hydraulic) of the front and rear diffs.

Liked 52 Times in 28 Posts
    @ dimviii: I know that f.& r. diff are not active and almost certainly have a mechanical locking system...
    By (locked diff.) I ment somehow functional mechanical LSD that probably perform quite a good lock at full throttle.

I my thinking is based on Ogiers RWD statement... but I don't know all details that was said, so it may be that I am completely wrong.

PS. As far as I can understand Focus RS system can simulate centre an rear active diff. quite good, but not for very long time of real pushing.
    Last edited by J_n_z; 21st April 2017 at 20:10.

Liked 11,137 Times in 4,419 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ctesibios View Post
    Anybody know the list of all devices that use hydraulics in the current, 2017, WRC cars?
    Gearbox, center differential and handbrake (different circuit I think).

Quote Originally Posted by NickRally View Post
    Hm, I went through the tech rules and couldn’t see a restriction in terms of the operation (i.e. mechanical/hydraulic) of the front and rear diffs.
    Frankly I haven't chacked the rules myself but afaik all the official announcements before the introduction of 2017 cars were only about center differential.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
    Mirek, gearbox hydraulics are for shifting only? I am guessing for the center diff it's for the"actuators" however they are made according to each manufacturer. And for the handbrake, is it for disengaging the rear wheels from the drivetrain or some kind of power assist?

Liked 18 Times in 7 Posts
    dimvii is right these new cars have mechanical front and rear limited slip differentials (same as the 2011-2016 spec). Mechanical meaning that their state changes mechanically while accelerating, breaking and coasting, although preload is what determines their behavior while coasting. The only differential controlled by a computer via a hydraulic system is the center differential, hence its name "active".

Quote Originally Posted by Ctesibios View Post
    Mirek, gearbox hydraulics are for shifting only? I am guessing for the center diff it's for the"actuators" however they are made according to each manufacturer. And for the handbrake, is it for disengaging the rear wheels from the drivetrain or some kind of power assist?
    I don't think there is a rear wheel disconnect on these new models. While a lack of a center diff warranted a use of a clutch pack disconnecting the rear axle to allow handbrake use, the cars with an active center diff. set the differential to an open position while the handbrake is used allowing for both front and rear axles to move independently.
    Last edited by Kris82; 21st April 2017 at 23:25.

7. Likes: dimviii (22nd April 2017)
    Agreed with all the statements about the active centre and passive front and rear diffs, just wondering how FIA controls this, but as it isn't in the main rules (or maybe I have missed it), it must be through one of the numerous Technical Directives that get distributed among the competitors, but are not publicly available.

4. Citroen C3

Time for the last remaining team. I have to say before the season started, I, as many other people, thought this is the car to beat and dominate the championship. After four rallies, we can (luckily) say that this is not quite the case, with all four cars capable of winning and keeping us entertained. At the same time, I am still very impressed with the attention to detail in the C3. After four rallies, if I didn’t know any better, I would have said they have the most mature design overall without necessarily excelling in any one particular area.

Below are few images with notes.

Last edited by NickRally; 22nd April 2017 at 01:55.

10. Likes: pantealex (23rd April 2017),skarderud (22nd April 2017)
    Liked 11,137 Times in 4,419 Posts
    Nick, what is the effect of the air flow hitting the rotating wheel? I mean with a difusor ahead of the wheel the air coming on the wheel is slower and differently spread than without it. I don't know anything about this phenomena. Is it even being considered in the design of these small difusors?
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

That's a very good question Mirek, I will sit down and write something next week (busy weekend).

13. Likes: Mirek (23rd April 2017)