Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by keysersoze View Post
    I'm a Perez fan, but even I have to admit that Sergio only beat Nico in the points. The Hulk may have got snookered on strategy--and had some bad luck in the races--but he beat the Mexican in qualifying. Perez is probably the better racer, but it's not by much.

To the OP, if you think a 19 year-old joining a team after the season was 1/5 over, matched up against one of the best in the world (Ricciardo), and getting a win, outqualifying him 7 of 17 times, is "overrrated," I think you are expecting too much. One can look to just about any race and see that Max is an outrageous talent, but I'll give you one in particular: Brazil.

Sainz is darn quick, but not quite the monster in races that Max is. The Spaniard is also the dirtiest driver on the grid--after Rosberg.

I thought the Mercedes battle was terrific. Their coming together in Spain made for some compelling storylines, as did Rosberg's crappy move in Austria (see previous comment).

Vettel's and Grosjean's raw soundbites were terrific, as were Hamilton's at the season-ender.
    I have to agree with you, to say Verstapenn is overrated is ridiculous after Brasil. He did not warm to a lot of people with his dodgy defensive moves. And he still needs polish with his media interactions. But when the chap is behind the wheel he is very exciting to watch as he is sure to do something sensational.

The fact of the matter is, due to the poor {inter-teammate [wheel to wheel] competition} showing by Mercedes, the 2016 season became the Max Verstapenn roadshow.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    This was a fine season. There were no "explosions and fireworks" like in 2012 or 2014. The mild "within-team" competition at Mercedes and the Red Bull drivers made it somewhat interesting.

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by N4D13 View Post

- I'm surprised that Pérez beat Hülkenberg. After his Le Mans victory, pretty much everyone felt that the German would be hot property, but it's not like he seems to have the speed to be at the sharp end of the grid. I also wouldn't have bet on Force India getting fourth place in the constructors championship - kudos to them, but will that prove costly in 2017?
    I have respect for Hulk. He is a very solid mid-field driver who will drive cleanly and aggressively and will bring the car back with lots of points. But at the same time, I think Perez has beaten him fair and square on a lot of occasions. That's probably why Hulkenberg is leaving Force India, preferring not to live in Perez's shadow. Unfortunately, this may leave Force India in a more vulnerable position vs competitors now that they employ Ocon who is still a rookie.

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zako85 View Post
    I have respect for Hulk. He is a very solid mid-field driver who will drive cleanly and aggressively and will bring the car back with lots of points. But at the same time, I think Perez has beaten him fair and square on a lot of occasions. That's probably why Hulkenberg is leaving Force India, preferring not to live in Perez's shadow. Unfortunately, this may leave Force India in a more vulnerable position vs competitors now that they employ Ocon who is still a rookie.
    When Hulkenburg breaks his duck, l think there would be a floodgate of wins to follow.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

5. Likes: truefan72 (28th December 2016)
    Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts
    Is that German dude still around? Because that's two seasons out of three where Ricciardo can say he was the best driver relative to the cars everyone drove.

Clear non-MB champion again!

In Britain. Ricciardo was the highest placed RB driver who didn't lose control and drive off the track.