Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BleAivano View Post
    Racing is about being the fast driver/rider. Racing/Rally/etc is not about intentionally slowing down (in the way Ham did) to try get an advantage.
    Ok if the track/road conditions are really bad but that wasn't the case today.

I have seen this several times before in other motorsport branches like WRC and speedway where the leader intentionally slowed down or even stopping to gain advantages.
    That kind of stuff has no place in motorsport and should be considered unsportsmanlike conduct that should be connected to subsequent penalties should anyone try it again.
    I think F1 fans have gone particularly soft of late to be honest. Is it still ok to back drivers up during a safety car to gain an advantage like they all do, or when drivers help their teammates by backing up opponents to let the other pull away? Or has a precedent been set now by Lewis and it's suddenly unacceptable?

There was never any question Lewis was going to win the race. What he couldn't do was fight with Nico unless he slowed down and that is the epitome of a world champion. It didn't work but he tried it and ended the season as the dominant teammate. You can't blame him for trying to fight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes: truefan72 (28th November 2016)
    Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    Racing is about being the fast driver/rider. Racing/Rally/etc is not about intentionally slowing down (in the way Ham did) to try get an advantage.

I have seen this several times before in other motorsport branches like WRC and speedway where the leader intentionally slowed down or even stopping to gain advantages.
    That kind of stuff has no place in motorsport and should be considered unsportsmanlike conduct that should be connected to subsequent penalties should anyone try it again.
    Then if a driver is in a slower car or doesn't feel comfortable to push his car he should just let a faster driver through?

Also that means Hamilton just had to win and hope for reliability issues which is unlikely this day and age.

Sorry I disagree with your point of view in this case.

Sent from my GT-I9301I using Tapatalk
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

4. Likes: truefan72 (28th November 2016)
    I think the focus on Hamilton is typically hiding the issues. I am talking about any driver.

I fear maybe I am in a minority. However there seems to be so little marginally legal hard racing these days it has gone soft.

6. Likes: henners88 (27th November 2016)
    Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    Is backing up dirty? It is unsportsmanlike but I'd bet more than half the drivers on the grid (inc Nico) would have done the exact same in that situation.

8. Likes: henners88 (27th November 2016),truefan72 (28th November 2016)
    Most retired drivers I have heard from so far say it was something that had to be done.

10. Likes: henners88 (27th November 2016)
    Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    Racing is about winning.

12. Likes: truefan72 (28th November 2016)
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    Racing is about winning.
    Championships or races?

Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Greasy View Post
    Championships or races?
    Both. If you can win the final race and beat your closest rival in the process, it tastes sweeter on the podium. Hamilton was always going to win the race, he just needed to get involved with Nico to get both trophies. It was a valiant effort but Nico came out on top, just.

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts

Sorry buddy, racing is about winning. Not necessarily about being the fastest. The cunny ways that drivers use to get ahead in the points is part of the fascination of motorsport. It has always being a thing that happens in the sport. Like Senna taking Prost out in the first corner of the last race or Schumacher taking Hill out or teams using water ballast to have a fake weight and dumping the water during the race to get the car lighter and faster. The list goes on.

What l am getting at is, it is an over reaction to say Hamilton was unsportsmanlike. If he did not try something, he would not be happy that he did not at least try something to see what might happen.

Hence. l have to agree that the Mercedes team were the donkey of the race. To be more specific, Paddy Lowe was the actual donkey of the race.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

16. Likes: truefan72 (28th November 2016)
    Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    Lewis Hamilton

all it would have taken is 1.685 Sec + 2 passes for him to have came 3rd
    1 Lewis Hamilton - Mercedes 25 1:38:04.013 186.824
    2 Nico Rosberg - Mercedes 18 +0.439 Sec 186.81
    3 Sebastian Vettel - Ferrari 15 +0.843 Sec 186.797
    4 Max Verstappen - Red Bull 12 +1.685 Sec 186.771
    if iit had been any one other then Vettel would Hamilton's plan to cheat worked ? kids should be tort not to look up to some one that is prepared to cheat to get what they do not deserve
    VERSTAPPEN: ‘If I’d let Sainz past, dad would’ve kicked me in the nuts!’