Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    Liked 793 Times in 587 Posts
    I didn't see any donkeys in the race .

2. Likes: driveace (6th December 2016)
    Liked 790 Times in 652 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    The man to whom I gave the tree had a slightly darker complexion than mine , and his facial structure made me think he was perhaps a Mexican .

I didn't ask . I just gave him the tree .
    The man to whom l gave the tree had a tan complexion, his facial structure seemed hispanic of the northern american origin, he was perhaps a Mexican.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    Yep, Europe's multiculturalism is doing really well. We are all getting on like a house on fire.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    My house is bigger than yours.....

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Probably

Liked 793 Times in 587 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    The man to whom l gave the tree had a tan complexion, his facial structure seemed hispanic of the northern american origin, he was perhaps a Mexican.
    I also thought of Peru and especially Ecuador , as his face was roundish in shape .
    My son thought he was one of our local native Ojibwa .

But , it didn't matter , and I hope you got that point .

So , who did you see as donkey of the race ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    I also thought of Peru and especially Ecuador , as his face was roundish in shape .
    My son thought he was one of our local native Ojibwa .

But , it didn't matter , and I hope you got that point .

So , who did you see as donkey of the race ?
    You miss the point my friend, but hopefully you would get it.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    What l am getting at here is, most people who adopt anti-multiculturalism, do so for different reasons. Unfortunately this is where the basis of the prejudice component of anti-multiculturailism is rooted.
    I would agree with that. because it makes my point. There are a number of different reasons people would not wish to have society go predominately multicultural and to brand all of them as racist because of a few who are is not recognizing reality.

"the way of life, especially the general customs and beliefs, of a particular group of people at a particular time"
    Also known as a "comfort zone". The vast majority of people everywhere prefer to spend a majority of their time inside that zone. That's just human nature.

Anti-Multiculturalism in the western civilization is seeking to go the other way of becoming like these extremist cultures which are very intolerant of other cultures which are different to their own. And the suppression of exhibition of cultures contrary to the predominant culture.
    Completely disagree. Most countries have a historical pattern of predominance of one culture. Wanting to continue with that as "mainstream" in that country is hardly extremist. Most countries have also been historically tolerant of minorities and their cultures. It's when recent immigrants, or other groups, try to force everyone else to give their (minority) culture equal standing to the predominant one that trouble starts.

You can call it whatever name you want to call it, its Mode of Operation is similar to these extremist cultures. How l see it is, Anti-Multiculturalists are individuals with difficulty of existing in a world of multiple differences.
    Existing in a world of different cultures is one thing. Forcing people to embrace cultures they are not comfortable with is a different thing.

What l am getting at here is, at the point where cultures intercepts, they change each other wittingly or unwittingly. Hence a culture at one point in time is not the same as one when you look back in time.
    Cultures have always evolved over time. The question is over how much time? It's one thing for people to accept incremental change, which results in large changes over time, and a different thing to try and force large changes over relatively short periods - that goes completely against human nature. What is a natural inertia (and healthy too since it dampens wild swings) becomes active resistance and hostility. That's what you are seeing now. Ignore it at your peril.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    Completely disagree. Most countries have a historical pattern of predominance of one culture. Wanting to continue with that as "mainstream" in that country is hardly extremist. Most countries have also been historically tolerant of minorities and their cultures. It's when recent immigrants, or other groups, try to force everyone else to give their (minority) culture equal standing to the predominant one that trouble starts.
    If you read my post carefully, you will see that l have not advocated against the existence of a predominant culture in a single social system. What l have argued against is the predominant culture refusing to accommodate minority cultures within its society. In an anti-multicultural society, the predominant culture would seek to stamp out these minority cultures. I think the saying is; when in Rome act as the Romans. Which is the natural manifestation of things anyway otherwise people from minority cultures would not be able to function in the society. But the reality is, any hint or exhibition of cultures outside the predominant culture by an individual is frowned upon and that person soon finds themselves systematically excluded from society. This affects them when trying to find jobs or use social amenities like hospitals and schools. Their plight is not noticed by anyone and nobody represents their particular circumstances. This is one of the reasons why minority group in society form the poorest groups in most countries.

Existing in a world of different cultures is one thing. Forcing people to embrace cultures they are not comfortable with is a different thing.
    But it cuts both ways. Forcing people to abandon their cultures is the other side of your inability to embrace the existence or presence of the minority cultures in the society. This is the face off and where the prejudices emanate.

Cultures have always evolved over time. The question is over how much time? It's one thing for people to accept incremental change, which results in large changes over time, and a different thing to try and force large changes over relatively short periods - that goes completely against human nature. What is a natural inertia (and healthy too since it dampens wild swings) becomes active resistance and hostility. That's what you are seeing now. Ignore it at your peril.
    I completely agree. It is natural to push back in this circumstances.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 193 Times in 131 Posts
    Cut this, back to the topic.