Quote Originally Posted by Greasy View Post
There have been many occasions where people felt the best driver lost the championship, people have come up with various reasons why and whether it is to make themselves feel better or to justify their favourite drivers efforts, is part of the game. However, you can only drive based on the points system in place and that is what Nico has done, he didn't have to go all out to win the final races and if you want to win a championship you have to see the bigger picture. Hamilton has been faster and I imagine those botched starts will appear more important now but Nico did what was required and kept his cool and walks away a deserving champion.
I haven't shared my opinion to make myself feel better. I'm a fair weather Formula 1 fan who watches possibly less than a third of a season live these days. I've supported Lewis historically but am happy he's finished the season the way he did. On top, dominant and a multiple world champion who will need to carry his momentum into next season and hope the team give him better reliability in 2017. Finishing the season 5 points adrift of his world champion teammate despite finishing 3 less races is no mean feat. I don't need to state that to feel better, just be happy he's performed so well over the entire season bar 1 race where he underperformed.

You're right Nico kept his cool and did just enough, nothing spectacular or brave, just enough to maintain the advantage he was given. Like his father he wins the ultimate prize, just. Well done Nico