Quote Originally Posted by henners88 View Post
If I had time to go back and watch the races with a 5 week old baby at home I would. I've made sure I've read the race reports for the 15 races I've missed and it's rarely shown Hamilton to be poor apart from in Baku. The fact he finished 3 less races than Nico and only finished 5 points behind suggests on its own that he had a better season performance-wise. Had he not retired in just one race he would have tied the championship up by Mexico. That's pretty good going in my book.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Congrats on the addition to your family!
Apart from his many poor starts for most of the season, I'd agree that he was the better driver. And he should be, because he's the more talented of the two. Maybe the race reports you read didn't mention how he managed to turn poles into (eventual) second places. That's something he could've fixed earlier in the season if he was willing to put in the work early enough. Even with his bad luck in terms of reliability this year, keeping ahead of Nico in just one of those races instead of dropping back and fighting to get second would've made the difference. The poor reliability is pretty much out of his control. Working harder to fix a weakness (in this case his poor starts) is something he has control over. I think he just let it slide, because like most of us, he thought the reliability issues would even out over a season and it wouldn't be important enough to make a difference. Well, this year it mattered.