Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Liked 76 Times in 56 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by henners88 View Post
    If I had time to go back and watch the races with a 5 week old baby at home I would. I've made sure I've read the race reports for the 15 races I've missed and it's rarely shown Hamilton to be poor apart from in Baku. The fact he finished 3 less races than Nico and only finished 5 points behind suggests on its own that he had a better season performance-wise. Had he not retired in just one race he would have tied the championship up by Mexico. That's pretty good going in my book.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Congrats on the addition to your family!
    Apart from his many poor starts for most of the season, I'd agree that he was the better driver. And he should be, because he's the more talented of the two. Maybe the race reports you read didn't mention how he managed to turn poles into (eventual) second places. That's something he could've fixed earlier in the season if he was willing to put in the work early enough. Even with his bad luck in terms of reliability this year, keeping ahead of Nico in just one of those races instead of dropping back and fighting to get second would've made the difference. The poor reliability is pretty much out of his control. Working harder to fix a weakness (in this case his poor starts) is something he has control over. I think he just let it slide, because like most of us, he thought the reliability issues would even out over a season and it wouldn't be important enough to make a difference. Well, this year it mattered.

Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Firstgear View Post
    Congrats on the addition to your family!
    Apart from his many poor starts for most of the season, I'd agree that he was the better driver. And he should be, because he's the more talented of the two. Maybe the race reports you read didn't mention how he managed to turn poles into (eventual) second places. That's something he could've fixed earlier in the season if he was willing to put in the work early enough. Even with his bad luck in terms of reliability this year, keeping ahead of Nico in just one of those races instead of dropping back and fighting to get second would've made the difference. The poor reliability is pretty much out of his control. Working harder to fix a weakness (in this case his poor starts) is something he has control over. I think he just let it slide, because like most of us, he thought the reliability issues would even out over a season and it wouldn't be important enough to make a difference. Well, this year it mattered.
    Thanks. Well he's learned the hard way, but in all honesty I think he'll be pretty positive heading into the winter break. He overcame his slight issue and ended the season winning more races and demonstrating the gulf in speed between the two. At least with 3 world titles he can afford to take this one on the chin. I'm sure Nico will be back stronger next season to dispel the opinion he is a lucky winner. I think next season could be a good one if this is considered.

I'll be quite honest though I have no evidence either way to prove that Lewis did or did not put any effort into overcoming his start issues. Did anybody within the team or paddock comment on this?

I just remember reading (or was it commented on during one of the races) about two thirds through the season that he spent a considerable amount of time in the simulator trying to tackle the issue of his poor starts.

I just feel Lewis didn't reach his potential this year. I guess none of us truly reach our potential, but it's sad to see something slip away because of it.
    I think he's learned a lesson and will come back stronger. With the change in formula and an eager teenager in the RB, I'm hoping for a really good season next year.

But enough about Lewis (for now) - Go celebrate your victory Nico - you earned it!

I just remember reading (or was it commented on during one of the races) about two thirds through the season that he spent a considerable amount of time in the simulator trying to tackle the issue of his poor starts.

I just feel Lewis didn't reach his potential this year. I guess none of us truly reach our potential, but it's sad to see something slip away because of it.
    I think he's learned a lesson and will come back stronger. With the change in formula and an eager teenager in the RB, I'm hoping for a really good season next year.

But enough about Lewis (for now) - Go celebrate your victory Nico - you earned it!
    June 5th 2016 is the first quarter of the season and even his engineers struggled to see what he was doing wrong hence why it was stated the issue wasn't a quick fix. He slammed the simulator saying he might as well be playing it on his PlayStation so I think the passion was there to get it sorted. Starts aside he never appeared to be lacking commitment even when going for gaps Nico was only too keen to close violently. I haven't written the season off as a poor performance as my impression is totally the opposite.

I'm sure Nico is celebrating his victory still. Hopefully Hamilton is already preparing his game for next season. If he gets those starts completely nailed, we could be in for a very boring 2017.

Well I remember seeing the poor starts, seeing pics of him power surfing, and some time later heard he was tackling the start issues in the simulator. I was taught work before play, so that's why my putting 2 + 2 together gave me the impression he wasn't in it as much as he could have been. Heck, go have your fun, but sort your problems first.
    As far as a boring season if he gets the starts 100% nailed - I'm sure Mercedes will find a way to keep it interesting ;-)

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    bs, eh? Really?
    What did I say that was bs?
    Are you saying Lewis didn't say he was hungrier than Nico?
    Are you saying Lewis didn't go power surfing with Justin Bieber?
    Are you saying Lewis didn't (finally) spend time in the simulator to figure how to fix his poor starts?

Oh - I see what you're saying: Mercedes stole it from Lewis. Ya, I like conspiracy theories too. I just don't buy this one.
    I am saying we do not have time for personal attacks on individuals. State what you did or did not like about what has happened and everyone would respect that. You do not have to agree with everyone in how you see things but do not expect us to put up with you making unfounded comments based on what appears to be a very poor understanding of events.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 165 Times in 131 Posts
    Well done Nico. Only second World Champion son of a World Champion. Well deserved, it is hard to win a title with no team mate for support.

Please use the number 1 plate next season.

Liked 643 Times in 508 Posts
    Big ups to Nico for taking down "The Boss"
    It's been another dull season with just one team in the fight.
    Nico finished second to last in a two car championship, and the boss finished last.
    Come on 2017!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JDkdc246QQ
    May the forza be with you

Quote Originally Posted by anfield5 View Post
    Well done Nico. Only second World Champion son of a World Champion. Well deserved, it is hard to win a title with no team mate for support.

I'm sure he will, first time novelty and all that.

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anfield5 View Post

Hamilton did just that in 2008, 2014 and 2015. So did Vettel four times. Winning it without support of teammate is how it is properly done l think.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

11. Likes: driveace (30th November 2016),henners88 (30th November 2016)