Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 790 Times in 652 Posts

UAE Abu Dhabi 2016 - Yas Marina [Finale in the desert twilight]

THE FINALE IN THE DESERT TWILIGHT

This is one of my favorite Hermann Tilke track, built on the man made Yas Marina island. Mostly made from reclaimed land from the Persian Sea. It hosted its first grand prix on the 1st November 2009. It is a twilight race, hence a spectacular flood lite 5.5km track offering 55 of the most thrilling laps through the cool air of the sandy desert.

The track is shaped like some futuristic gun or power drill consisting of twenty one corners and two major fast straights. Hence, it is a track of two halves; the engine grunt half where the Mercedes and Ferrari would be dominant, and the twisty halve where aerodynamic supremacy dominates. It is essentially a track that suites the Mercedes cars perfectly. But it also offers a great opportunity for the Redbull to be closer to Mercedes.

Sebastian Vettel is the most successfull driver to race this circuit, winning it 3 times. Vettel also has the historical honor of being the first F1 driver to win on this track. The lap record of 1:40:279 was set by Vettel in 2009 while driving the Redbull RB5 designed by Adrian Newey; a car Vettel fondly called Kate. Lewis Hamilton has won it twice, Kimi and Rosberg are the only other drivers to have won this track. Each winning it once. Rosberg was the last winner of the Yas Marina circuit.

Every so often, l watch the Bahrain 2014 race and wish we get to see Rosberg and Hamilton race each other like that again. One hopes to see that at this Abu Dhabi weekend. But l fear, Rosberg has much to lose, hence would not want to take any risk in a close quarter fight for the win.

With 5 points to spare, it is a weekend that may see the crowning of a new F1 drivers champion. Rosberg does not want a repeat of the 2014 race, which saw him out of contention due to a reliability issue. As long as Rosberg finishes on the podium if Hamilton wins, he would be crowned the champion of 2016. If Hamilton do not win the race and Rosberg finishes 4th or higher he would be world champion. A Rosberg DNF would hand the title to Hamilton, as long as Hamilton finishes 7th or higher.

See details of the permutations here.

The Redbulls and possibly Ferrari have the chance to get in the mix of the title battle. A carefull Rosberg may be seen as prey this weekend. Hence, he must have a great start to keep the Redbulls at bay. For Hamilton, this is a must win race as anything could happen over the 55 laps of this race.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 28th November 2016 at 08:06.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

2. Likes: Klinsman (23rd November 2016),Mia 01 (24th November 2016),zako85 (24th November 2016)
    Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    [IMG].. Mostly made from reclaimed land from the Persian Sea.
    Gulf.

Quote Originally Posted by zako85 View Post
    Gulf.
    Same difference ;-)
    William Shakespeare

That was a display of supremacy by Hamilton in Q3. He raised the bar each time he laid down a fast lap. Everyone was just playing catch up. The cool thing about it was, each run was quite a gap from second place man Rosberg. The Q3 time [1:38:755] was roughly 3 tenths off the fastest qualifying lap ever done on this track. That was in the pre-hybrid era by Vettel in the 2011 Redbull-Renault and was at 1:38:481.

The best chance possible for Rosberg to have a trouble free race this weekend, was to start the race on pole. He was clearly trying hard to achieve that today, but Hamilton had the legs on him all the way from Q1 to Q3.

Rosberg may have been spared the fiesty dutchman Verstapenn, but he has Ricciado on his tail who l think would not mind taking the highest podium step possible if he smells a chance. It is looking like it may turn out to be a cracking race, assuming the Ferrari and Redbull remain in the mix.

I wonder, with the constructors championship settled, would Hamilton back Rosberg into the Redbull and Ferrari and see what shakes?
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 26th November 2016 at 16:31.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    I wonder, with the constructors championship settled, would Hamilton back Rosberg into the Redbull and Ferrari and see what shakes?

I might get fired by Merc but I'd probably do just that if I was Lewis.

Am I alone in thinking that way and does that make me a bad person?
    The emergence of the new 'Rainmaster' - Mad Max at Interlagos 2016!

Wehrlein really impressed today as well. Taking the Manor into Q2 for the fifth time this season ahead of Magnussen in the Renault, both Torro Rosso, both Sauber and his teammate. That was a really great performance from the German. I suppose he has just shown Force India what they are missing ;-)
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 26th November 2016 at 19:35.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 47 Times in 35 Posts
    IF Rosberg has mechanical issues or an accident will Mercedes sabotge Hamiltons car so Rosberg is champion

Liked 644 Times in 509 Posts
    Cut it out bro!!
    May the forza be with you

If Rosberg makes it through the first corner, he would have half a chance of clinching the title. After the first corner, he just needs to nurse the car home with fingers crossed that he does not have any reliability woes.
    William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Zico View Post
    I might get fired by Merc but I'd probably do just that if I was Lewis.

Am I alone in thinking that way and does that make me a bad person?
    Nope, just duking it with the competition ;-)
    William Shakespeare