Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theugsquirrel
    Well I can see it being used by V8's as Queensland Raceway is a pretty tacky circuit to be honest. And due to the fact that its a Tilke circuit I can see it also being used by MotoGP. Those are the only relatively major series I can see it pulling.

But wow...I want to know what that much money is going INTO, ignoring the question of where its coming from.

Good point. In terms of track construction, access roads, grandstands, pits and other infrastructure, the track shouldn't cost more than a quarter of that amount.

I suppose parts of it could be used for lerner drivers, advanced learner drivers, wannabe racing drivers, kart racing, test tracks among other things, but the income would have to be massive to pay off the 680 million.
    When in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Even if this project takes off, Albert Park will still have the race for a couple of years, but after that it's really doubtful.

This year the mainstream media down here (The age, herald sun, etc. ) were very dismissive of the whole F1 thing, and there was so much talk about Victoria hosting so many events that victorians are sick of it. So I wouldn't be surprised to find out that victoria loses the Grand Prix real soon.
    Iceman: Adjective 1)Rapid, swift 2)Nickname of Kimi-Matias Räikkönen, a legendary Formula 1 driver

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    If Bernie and Tilke have their hands in it, you can bet half of that is probably going straight into their pockets.

I like to refer to a quote by Pete Dye, who designed the Bulle Rock golf course near my home, when asked about his award winning design; "I did not undo God's work". Tilke's tracks look like the work of a bulldozer and a grader and little more. I'll give him credit for the actual architechture at the tracks, but the layouts need way more elevation changes. I think that is the element that, until Turkey has been the greatest complaint I have with Tilke's tracks. The tracks lack any kind of interesting terrain, and in some instances, they ppear to have actually avoided interesting terrain. It may be the fact that they have been built in deserts, re-claimed swamps and such, however the Turkish track is the only one of his creations I can actually look forward to on the schedule.
    HINCHTOWN!!

Liked 1,251 Times in 680 Posts
    No, no no, not Tilke please, his circuits are all identikit, he ruined Hockenheim, the rest aren't much better. What's the hold he has over Bernie et al?

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC
    he ruined Hockenheim
    Osterreichring too.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by theugsquirrel
    Osterreichring too.
    i recently watched a video on board from that track in around 85 i think, with cheever driving.

then i thought of the A1 ring in comparison to it.

made me quite sad really
    nowhere fast.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC
    No, no no, not Tilke please, his circuits are all identikit, he ruined Hockenheim, the rest aren't much better. What's the hold he has over Bernie et al?
    I seem to remember reading somewhere that Bernie actually owned some shares of (or was a partner) in Tilke's firm & that was why Tilke was mostly used in building new courses to add to F1's schedule.

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zoostation
    i recently watched a video on board from that track in around 85 i think, with cheever driving.

then i thought of the A1 ring in comparison to it.

made me quite sad really

I know Fantastic circuit defiled and butched by Tilke. I think he should design a fast flowing circuit like the Osterreichring.

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
    It's funny, but when I watch F1 on the telly, I don't realise how mundane any circuit is, because all I see are cars approaching corners most of the time.

To make it worse, when the cars are halfway down the track, my TV cannot define the colour, so it simply comes out as sorta grey or white.
    When in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    all i can say is good god i hope they build it AND QUICK!!!

As anybody who has been to Willowbank would say, Queensland has nothing when it comes to permanent tracks. (i really hate that craphole caled willowbank)

and the location is fantastic. right between brisbane and the coast... and PUBLIC TRANSPORT ACCESSABLE!!!! Something you cant do at willowbank.

We Queenslanders are dying for a proper racetrack! Indy is our best track, and its only there one weekend a year!!! Lakeside is no longer good for proper racing (unfortuately), Willowbank is absolutely woeful in every sense of the word!!!!! i dont care if its a ****ty tilke track, we need something and we need it NOW!!!!

So bring on this supertrack!
    Sir! While I disagree with what you are saying, I will fight to the death your right to spell the words incorerctly and use heinous.. grammar yo !!!