Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: President Trump

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I came back here because I was bored and wanted to read some entertaining comments on the Trump election. 10 years ago this thread would have been a 15 page flame war of epic proportions.

Where have all the interesting people gone (excepting, of course, those still here)?
    I work for profit!

2. Likes: donKey jote (11th November 2016)
    Liked 785 Times in 582 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Breeze View Post
    I came back here because I was bored and wanted to read some entertaining comments on the Trump election. 10 years ago this thread would have been a 15 page flame war of epic proportions.

Where have all the interesting people gone (excepting, of course, those still here)?
    They went wherever you just came back from .

Some of them are moving to Canada right now , so they're busy .

Some are still in shock , and speechless .

Some are still drunk .

Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
    On a totally different note, I wonder it was the Clinton curse that sank Hillary. What I mean is that Bill's presidency was quite popular but his legacy brought down first Al Gore's bid and now Hillary's. It seems that Billy's dark shadow ruins anybody he supports.
    Llibertat

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudy Tamasz View Post
    On a totally different note, I wonder it was the Clinton curse that sank Hillary. What I mean is that Bill's presidency was quite popular but his legacy brought down first Al Gore's bid and now Hillary's. It seems that Billy's dark shadow ruins anybody he supports.
    He campaigned for Obama and it didn't hurt him. Hillary is genuinely not liked or trusted by many, many people.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
    Yeah, that I know. I myself neither like her, nor I trust her. She looks to me like a drone on a mission, totally soulless, artificial and determined to kill.

I am not impressed with Trump, either. I tried to watch one of the debates and he didn't have too many smart things to say.
    Llibertat

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudy Tamasz View Post
    On a totally different note, I wonder it was the Clinton curse that sank Hillary.

Hillary was a so-called "3rd Term" candidate.

1840 - Van Buren D
    1852 - Winfield Scott W
    1860 - Stephen Douglas D (a war might have spilt that vote)
    1968 - Hubert Humphrey D
    1976 - Gerald Ford R
    2000 - Al Gore D
    2008 - John McCain R
    2016 - Hillary Clinton D

Are all 3rd term candidates that failed.

Suprisingly.

1880 - James Garfield R
    1908 - Howard Taft R
    1928 - Herbert Hoover R
    1940 - FDR D
    1944 - FDR D
    1948 - Harry Truman D
    1988 - George HW Bush R

Are all 3rd term candidates that won.

Obama probably would have gone on to be a third term candidate if is wasn't for that pesky 22nd Amendment.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

McWopetaz Metroplex, Illinois U. S. of A.
    Liked 156 Times in 153 Posts
    Footnote: In one other third term attempt in his own right, U. S. Grant entered the race for a third term as President in 1880 after taking four years off but couldn't get the Republican nomination although he came very close. The eventual nominee James Garfield did go on to win the Presidency so I expect Grant would also have won.
    Last edited by Stan Reid; 14th November 2016 at 01:46.
    This is my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking

Liked 78 Times in 73 Posts
    What worries me as a non-American is the combination of Republican president, Republican senate and Republican congress. Where are the necessary checks and balances?
    Duncan Rollo

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Type View Post
    What worries me as a non-American is the combination of Republican president, Republican senate and Republican congress. Where are the necessary checks and balances?
    None of those three are on the same page as either of the other two. It's going to be interesting to see how it all unfolds.

I also find it interesting about all of the protests and have a couple of questions for them.
    1) Why are you protesting now? The election is over.
    2) What exactly do you hope to gain?
    3) What aren't you willing to at least wait until Trump screws up before complaining? There is a chance, albeit small, that he might do OK.
    4) When Obama won you didn't see the other side in the streets pissing and moaning that their candidate didn't win. What makes you think you are so special? Suck it up like the rest of us and wait your turn.
    Last edited by Starter; 13th November 2016 at 22:05.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

McWopetaz Metroplex, Illinois U. S. of A.
    Liked 156 Times in 153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Type View Post
    Republicans will have the Supreme Court too. The only check, other than the Constitution, will be the filibuster to block some (but not all) proposals in the Senate.
    This is my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking