Thread: President Trump

Hybrid View

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior View Post
    I had no intention of voting for either one of them. But in a two horse race, if forced to choose only between the kook and the crook, I would have voted for him.
    Plan:

- Abolish primaries
    - Put seven candidates from the major parties on the ballot
    - Preferential Instant Run-Off Voting
    - Compulsory Voting
    - Elections on Saturday or make the Tuesday an official Civic Public Holiday

Proportional Representation in the House of Reps might be a nice idea as well.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Plan:

- Abolish primaries
    Either that or require that primaries be open to all registered voters instead of same party only.

- Put seven candidates from the major parties on the ballot
    How do you decide which seven?

- Preferential Instant Run-Off Voting
    ??

- Compulsory Voting
    Not a chance.

- Elections on Saturday or make the Tuesday an official Civic Public Holiday
    Do you really think that will increase voter turn out? Or will the ones who don't vote now just enjoy another paid day off.

Proportional Representation in the House of Reps might be a nice idea as well.
    The house is proportional to population now. Or are you talking about proportional to registered party members? Or both?
    Last edited by Starter; 29th November 2016 at 14:12.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    ??
    Preferential Instant Run-Off Voting

By preference - number every box.

The candidiate with the fewest number of 1's is eliminated and their number 2 preferences are distributed.

Repeat process until one candidate has 50%+1 of the votes.

Do you really think that will increase voter turn out? Or will the ones who don't vote now just enjoy another paid day off.
    I'd like to see your reasons for defending voting on a Tuesday in the 21st Century.

The house is proportional to population now. Or are you talking about proportional to registered party members? Or both?
    The House has never been proportional to the number of votes that the parties receive. There are no third parties represented at all in the House.
    Also, apart from the at-large seats, the seats in the House are also gerrymandered to the point that there are almost no proper contests.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Preferential Instant Run-Off Voting

By preference - number every box.

The candidiate with the fewest number of 1's is eliminated and their number 2 preferences are distributed.

Repeat process until one candidate has 50%+1 of the votes.
    Ah, OK I like that.

I'd like to see your reasons for defending voting on a Tuesday in the 21st Century.
    Because it doesn't interfere with TGIF partying?
    But I was really talking about the abysmal number of qualified voters who actually take the trouble to vote. I seriously doubt that there would be any real increase in the number of voters. Additionally, the lower end of wage earners who might have difficulty taking off work during the week to vote are in retailing sorts of jobs and they are working on weekends too.

The House has never been proportional to the number of votes that the parties receive. There are no third parties represented at all in the House.
    That would pretty much require a Constitutional amendment and the chances of that are about the same as my winning the WDC title next year.

Also, apart from the at-large seats, the seats in the House are also gerrymandered to the point that there are almost no proper contests.
    I could not agree more on the gerrymandering. It's an embarrassment to the system and both major parties use it whenever possible. Needs to be outlawed.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

That would pretty much require a Constitutional amendment and the chances of that are about the same as my winning the WDC title next year.
    Doesn't.

The House of Representatives shall be composed of Members chosen every second Year by the People of the several States, and the Electors in each State shall have the Qualifications requisite for Electors of the most numerous Branch of the State Legislature.

- Article I, Section 2, Clause 1, United States Constitution, 17th Sep 1789.

The chances of having Proportional Representation are about the same as Frosty The Snowman's chance of finding work shovelling people's driveways in Hades but that's because to actually make it so, requires passing said legislation through The House of Representatives and Senate.
    It's a bit hard to tell people to take their snouts out of the trough when they're fast asleep in it.

6. Likes: Tazio (30th November 2016)