Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
Preferential Instant Run-Off Voting

By preference - number every box.

The candidiate with the fewest number of 1's is eliminated and their number 2 preferences are distributed.

Repeat process until one candidate has 50%+1 of the votes.
Ah, OK I like that.

I'd like to see your reasons for defending voting on a Tuesday in the 21st Century.
Because it doesn't interfere with TGIF partying?
But I was really talking about the abysmal number of qualified voters who actually take the trouble to vote. I seriously doubt that there would be any real increase in the number of voters. Additionally, the lower end of wage earners who might have difficulty taking off work during the week to vote are in retailing sorts of jobs and they are working on weekends too.

The House has never been proportional to the number of votes that the parties receive. There are no third parties represented at all in the House.
That would pretty much require a Constitutional amendment and the chances of that are about the same as my winning the WDC title next year.

Also, apart from the at-large seats, the seats in the House are also gerrymandered to the point that there are almost no proper contests.
I could not agree more on the gerrymandering. It's an embarrassment to the system and both major parties use it whenever possible. Needs to be outlawed.