Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314
    Liked 2,937 Times in 1,338 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
    I would be inclined to agree with you but nothing would surprise me anymore. Like sniper says it's just PR smoke and mirrors. Once the headlines go out that they have cut their WRC programme the work is almost done. The decision to retain all staff tells you everything you need to know. They have more than enough money to continue rallying.
    I don’t believe that a third party team run by VW Motorsport would be on VW’s board members minds when they’ve decided to pull out. It seems more a fallback solution, most likely put toghether by top VW M staff and some sensible VW managers in order to resolve VW M immediate future.

VW M personnel cost could be the only expense for VW on this possible WRC venture, with Qatar and Red Bull paying testing and running costs. VW could also save some money on their driver’s contract deals, if they manage to keep one of them on this new team.

At the end VW would still be in WRC, for a fraction of what they’ve been spending and without the need to get their name officially involved, saving them from political or labor protests. It really seems the perfect fallback solution!
    Last edited by Rally Power; 5th December 2016 at 02:58.
    Rally addict since 1982

2. Likes: Lundefaret (4th December 2016),pantealex (5th December 2016)
    Liked 2,937 Times in 1,338 Posts
    Maybe the VW private entry issue it’s better on this topic.

Quote Originally Posted by cali View Post
    I'm not against VW participating, quite the contrary but if I was a team manager, I would not see a point to let them in unless they commit the same way as the rest of the teams.
    VW plan B to get the ’17 Polo in WRC it’s an exceptional move and it deserves exceptional treatment, not a brainless administrative response.
    For sure WRC officials can stick to the rules and say goodbye to VW, but they also can get smart and figure a way for VW Motorpsort to run the car and keep a certain WRC involvement.
    Dieselgate can still roll some heads on VW top management. Who knows, maybe those that vote in favour of the WRC pull out will be the next ones...
    Rally addict since 1982

Liked 1,367 Times in 710 Posts
    Rebadge the Polo to Fabia WRC, Skoda runs it, Volkswagen Audi Gruppe homologates.

Liked 153 Times in 85 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulland View Post
    Rebadge the Polo to Fabia WRC, Skoda runs it, Volkswagen Audi Gruppe homologates.
    You can't be serious, are you?!?! It's not as easy as putting the Fabia exterior on a Polo chassis...
    Viola ad oltranza...

Liked 11,137 Times in 4,419 Posts
    Actually it shouldn't be that difficult. Both Polo and Fabia share the same PQ26 platform. Most of the new work would be likely on the aerodynamic design. On the other hand I am quite sure it won't happen.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

Liked 153 Times in 85 Posts
    Even IF it was so easy (it isn't), you'd need at least a new rollcage and new aero. These things would take time...
    Viola ad oltranza...

Liked 1,829 Times in 707 Posts
    The technical difficulty is not even the issue here, regardless of which brand "runs" it, the issue is they won't allocate budget so even if you could convert the Polo to a Fabia just by snapping your fingers it wouldn't help at all. Someone else (not in VW group) needs to fork up the cash.