I think the US and Mexican GP's confirmed that we really need to bring gravel traps back into F1.

I am not quite sure on the reason why they were removed in the first place? Was it safety reasons? If so, I don't recall an incident with gravel traps causing a particularly serious accident that tarmac would have avoided. Even then, surely if the safety factor was an issue at certain corners, then the tarmac could be installed here, otherwise - at the second to last and final corners of US and the first corner in Mexico, what is the benefit to racing of tarmac run-off? Surely a gravel trap would be better.

Reasons for:

1) Penalizes the driver after making a mistake, either going off or running wide depending on corner profile
2) Looks spectacular / exciting with gravel dust into the air as the car goes across it
3) Keeps drivers from abusing track limits

Reasons against:

1) Safety - arguably? Certain corners only I would say.
2) Reduces cars in the field - I don't agree, we have regular races of 20-22 finishers now with increased realibility. Drivers making big mistakes should be penalized by a potential DNF absolutely.
3) Longer time to recover cars - we have the VSC now to counter-act that potential hazard.

Thoughts??