Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

If Rosberg wins the WDC this year..

Will he be the least deserving champion of all time?

I can't think of another time where a driver has been so clearly inferior and won the championship due to reliability / other factors.
    2nd place in the big quizz challenge!

2. Likes: andyone (26th October 2016)
    Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    Silly question in my opinion. A world champion deserves to be a world champion.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

4. Likes: BleAivano (24th October 2016)
    McWopetaz Metroplex, Illinois U. S. of A.
    Liked 156 Times in 153 Posts
    I can think of a lot of them. How many championships would Fangio have won if he'd been driving for BRM (0)? He tried Indy and couldn't even qualify against 33 American drivers who mostly raced on dirt horse tracks.
    This is my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfa Fan View Post

I can't think of another time where a driver has been so clearly inferior and won the championship due to reliability / other factors.
    In my book Rosberg would be no worse than Button or Räikkönen, let alone several other champions before these two.

Also it is worth keeping in mind a very important differentiator in this argument. To win the WDC, Rosberg has to beat Hamilton in equivalent cars. It is a damn hard thing to do, even if you have the advantage of reliability. Because most WDC's have weaker team-mates to beat (the Barrichellos, Webbers, Coulthards, Bergers and Patreses of this world) and/or their closest rivals are driving inferior cars.

Liked 1,068 Times in 599 Posts
    No. This year he fixed the pressure mistakes and has driven brilliantly.
    Besides, how many starts has Lewis bonked this season?
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."

Liked 100 Times in 76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jens View Post
    In my book Rosberg would be no worse than Button or Räikkönen, let alone several other champions before these two.
    Why Raikkonen?

He fought the good fight in 2007, McLaren were slightly faster. He had mechanical failures and it went down to the last race.

9. Likes: Mia 01 (24th October 2016)
    Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfa Fan View Post

Yes, he would deserve it. It's not fair on Nico to just blame reliability. Lewis couldn't beat him in a straight fight in Singapore. In all likelihood Rosberg wouldn't have beaten Lewis in a straight fight over the course of a season, we all know that but you need to take your chances when they come along and Nico hasn't put a foot wrong all season. I've always said he is good for one or two championships. I think he's a fantastic driver, just he is unlucky he's up against one of the best of his generation.

As for Lewis, reliability aside, he has made some balls up this season. He has scoffed the start on numerous occasions whereas Rosberg hasn't. Whether that is as out of his control as reliability or not I don't know but he certainly hasn't been nearly as impressive overall this season as he was last year. He has only himself to blame in the end because he spends most of his time jet setting around the world instead of working hard with his engineers. I've always felt his lifestyle would catch up with him at some point. You can't just show up at each race spending no time in between working with your engineers and then expect to win championships. The funny thing is there have been no snapchats from him in over two weeks because he is finally working as a driver should work. A bit too late though, he should have been doing it all year. If he had worked hard all year, he may not have had some of those atrocious starts and could be leading the championship right now, or at least it'd still be in his own hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Koz View Post
    Why Raikkonen?

He fought the good fight in 2007, McLaren were slightly faster. He had mechanical failures and it went down to the last race.
    Raikkonen has shown since just how slow he really is. He's nowhere near being a top tier driver.

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Koz View Post
    Why Raikkonen?

In my view the Ferrari was actually slightly faster. And Alonso-Hamilton a superior line-up to Räikkönen and Massa.

Anyway. I didn't mean the championship season in isolation, but how I generally rate these drivers. It is not a dent on Kimi or Jenson, because they are good drivers. But same applies to Nico - he is also good. He has been running Hamilton reasonably close. And if you are looking at qualifying statistics, ever since they have become Mercedes team-mates, they have scored roughly a similar amount of pole positions. Pretty impressive in my book, even if we consider Hamilton has had to sit out several Q sessions during the years due to car problems.
    Last edited by jens; 24th October 2016 at 10:47.

Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steveaki13 View Post
    Silly question in my opinion. A world champion deserves to be a world champion.
    Exactly this.

The championship is not for being the "fastest" or most exciting. It's for scoring more points than your opponent. Clearly they guy who scores the most points deserves it.

Liked 203 Times in 148 Posts
    I wish people could support their favorite drivers without diminishing others.

14. Likes: gm99 (24th October 2016),Koz (25th October 2016),smsgrafica (3rd November 2016),Tazio (25th October 2016)