Page 3 of 54 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
    Liked 171 Times in 99 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RS View Post
    Yes, he was slower on tarmac, but he would have only needed 38 more points across two rounds to win the title this year, so it is quite possible. Plus of course he will only get better on tarmac.
    In which 2 of the remaining 4 rallies he could be 4th or higher?

2. Likes: Jarek Z (12th October 2016)
    Liked 3,271 Times in 1,722 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Essaj View Post
    Sirmacis should easily be able to win championship next season if he manages to find a budget for the whole season. His only real contender from the guys who competed this season is Lukyanuk, Kajto in my papers can't challenge for it if there is any "potential" driver/s racing for the whole season. only reason he won this year is the fact that he drove every round and Lukyanuk being dumb at few races.
    I'm sorry, but that's not true. Kajto didn't compete in every round of the ERC. He drove 8 rallies out of 10. It's Lukyanuk who competed in the most rounds of all (9 out of 10) even though he constantly complains about his budget.
    https://www.fiaerc.com/standings/
    http://www.rallymadness.prv.pl - rally photos and movies!

Liked 1,389 Times in 447 Posts
    I see Veiby Jr. going to Skoda Motorsport very strongly. He's learning curve is very steep in 4WD and we don't know much yet how he could progress, except he will progress. He did initial starts with Fabia R5 in Finnish championship this season, two on snow and one on gravel. He was fast out of the box. His style is very aggressive and flamboyant, but the clock liked it. Veiby lost his first start in Finland by less than 3s and dominated the other two winning those. Of course Finnish championship as of now is no measure for 4WD pace, but it's something. All point to him joining Skoda.

As for Suninen, I agree he should step up to WRC. Staying in WRC2 would not be the end of the world, but I see no point why he should join Skoda Motorsport and hang himself to the contract when he has access to just as competitive car as a privateer.
    Photos: rallirinki.kuvat.fi | Twitter: @HartusvuoriWRC

Liked 2,241 Times in 1,199 Posts
    Thanks for the insight Hartusvuori.

Points for Sunninen to join SM if he doesn't get a WRC seat.. Experience of working with a works team to develop a car, possible extra rallies on tarmac in Europe (like Tidemand got this year), possibly more competitive car (I recall he claimed once or twice this year works guys had a stronger engine)

Anyway sounds like it could be irrelevant if he has some money for Malcolm.

Liked 668 Times in 285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarek Z View Post
    I'm sorry, but that's not true. Kajto didn't compete in every round of the ERC. He drove 8 rallies out of 10. It's Lukyanuk who competed in the most rounds of all (9 out of 10) even though he constantly complains about his budget.
    https://www.fiaerc.com/standings/
    Yeah sorry, thought Cyprus was the only event that Kajto didnt participate, that was my bad. Still I think that his pure speed is lacking and he is not able to match or beat Alexseys or Ralfs true speed, when they actually manage to stay on the road or don't break their cars.
    Don't get me wrong, I do think that he totally deserved this years victory with his consistent drive but next year is going to be tough for him if they all stay in ERC.

Liked 3,774 Times in 1,677 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Essaj View Post
    Yeah sorry, thought Cyprus was the only event that Kajto didnt participate, that was my bad. Still I think that his pure speed is lacking and he is not able to match or beat Alexseys or Ralfs true speed, when they actually manage to stay on the road or don't break their cars.
    Don't get me wrong, I do think that he totally deserved this years victory with his consistent drive but next year is going to be tough for him if they all stay in ERC.
    Before problems for Kajto and Ralfs, in first leg of Azores Kajto was clearly faster than Sirmacis. Also on Acropolis was Kajto on same speed or faster than Sirmacis (but Kajto made a mistake). Only Liepaja is the event where Ralfs was faster than Kajto.

Liked 2,241 Times in 1,199 Posts
    And Estonia.. but we should also remember Kajto had some technical problems this year and was probably driving with the title in mind a lot of the time.

Liked 777 Times in 419 Posts
    I'm going to assume that we will have no manufacturers in the championship next year either... Which is a bit sad.

Liked 3,774 Times in 1,677 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by itix View Post
    I'm going to assume that we will have no manufacturers in the championship next year either... Which is a bit sad.
    For me it is better. Only real manufacturer having own team is Skoda Motorsport. Before leaving ERC, they were dominating as nobody was able to catch their speed. And look in WRC2 - only who are really able to be on their speed are Evans with factory Ford and Suninen with almost factory Skoda. M-Sport has only one factory car Evans as promotion for Fiesta R5 Evo and Hyundai has Abbring to show the speed. Citroen has no factory team and Peugeot factory team is one big joke.

Liked 2,937 Times in 1,338 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hartusvuori View Post
    I see Veiby Jr. going to Skoda Motorsport very strongly. He's learning curve is very steep in 4WD and we don't know much yet how he could progress, except he will progress. He did initial starts with Fabia R5 in Finnish championship this season, two on snow and one on gravel. He was fast out of the box. His style is very aggressive and flamboyant, but the clock liked it. Veiby lost his first start in Finland by less than 3s and dominated the other two winning those. Of course Finnish championship as of now is no measure for 4WD pace, but it's something. All point to him joining Skoda.
    As for Suninen, I agree he should step up to WRC. Staying in WRC2 would not be the end of the world, but I see no point why he should join Skoda Motorsport and hang himself to the contract when he has access to just as competitive car as a privateer.
    Veiby did well in Finish rallies but he lost WRC3 to Tempestini. No doubt he’s a good driver and surely has a nice future ahead of him (also thanks to Even) but Sirmacis job in ERC was simply outstanding. Sirmacis may need to improve tarmac driving but a seat in Skoda WRC2 team would be totally deserved.

Totally agree on Suninen: he got WRC level already and Jouhki investment will probably start to pay very soon.
    Rally addict since 1982