Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts

Is Mercedes fixing the 2016 driver chamionship

I think if you want to be politically correct you would say it is pure bad luck. You may also say it is unthinkable that Mercedes would give a win that is in the bag to rival Redbull with the aim of favoring Rosberg over Hamilton. But if you look at the statistics coldly, you have to say the statistics do not align with the politically correct view.

The cold facts are that Mercedes have the first pick of the engines before allocating engines to customer teams. And the engine in the Hamilton car was a new engine that has done only three races. Based on these facts, you would expect reliability issues to be with customer team as opposed to the Mercedes reigning world champion who you would expect to have the very best choice of the parts.

Also, this pattern seem to be similar to what happened in 2014. Would you believe that the Mercedes engine is crap enough to fail so frequently? That is very hard to believe. It then comes down to whether the engine is being fitted properly unto the car? Now that is very possible and conceivable. Then there is the question of whether it is due to driving style? Based on the pace of Hamilton when the failure occurred, it is looking very unlikely.

This situation begins to make one think, how would a team bring about a championship outcome of their choice against a stronger driver? If they have that aim, this would be just the way they would go about it. But there are questions like how really would they make an engine fail during the race without leaving a trace in any computer logs? You have to remember that a gearbox failure cheated Hamilton of his first championship title in his first season in 2007.

What do you think guys and gals, is Mercedes fixing the driver championship?
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 2nd October 2016 at 14:52.

Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    No, I don't think so... at least not in the reliability issue.

If they wanted to do it they would be a lot more clever and cute about it rather than tarnish the brands own image with a public perception of poor mechanical reliability.
    The emergence of the new 'Rainmaster' - Mad Max at Interlagos 2016!

3. Likes: donKey jote (2nd October 2016),gm99 (2nd October 2016)
    Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts
    I don't think they fixing it, it's just Lewis is getting all the bad luck this year. It's sad as he is clearly the better driver of the two, but that is motor racing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Likes: andyone (9th October 2016)
    Liked 180 Times in 140 Posts
    If you watched the reaction on Merc' pitwall after Hamilton's failure today, I find it hard to believe that they orchestrated it. I find it even harder to believe Mercedes would sacrifice a sure win and an early victory in the constructor's championship.
    Oct. 31, 1999 - one of the blackest days in motorsports.

Liked 100 Times in 76 Posts
    Lewis has always been kind of unlucky. Think back to the second half of 2012.

And that WTF in Brazil 2007.

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gm99 View Post
    If you watched the reaction on Merc' pitwall after Hamilton's failure today, I find it hard to believe that they orchestrated it. I find it even harder to believe Mercedes would sacrifice a sure win and an early victory in the constructor's championship.
    Reactions can be faked. We have to look for more tangible indication l think. Bad luck is not a plausible explanation. This sort of thing always have a reason. And a dodgy Mercedes engine is definitely not the reason; as no one would believe that.
    That said, Petronas would certainly not be thrilled with a Redbull one two in their home race.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 2nd October 2016 at 14:57.

Liked 177 Times in 122 Posts
    Boo hoo.
    United in diversity !!!

McWopetaz Metroplex, Illinois U. S. of A.
    Liked 156 Times in 153 Posts
    I've long wondered if Merc was giving Hamilton the engine that tested best on the dyno. The engine putting out the most power usually doesn't last as long so maybe Lewis should wring out his crying towel.
    Last edited by Stan Reid; 2nd October 2016 at 15:21.
    This is my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking

Liked 180 Times in 140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    Reactions can be faked. We have to look for more tangible indication l think. Bad luck is not a plausible explanation. This sort of thing always have a reason. And a dodgy Mercedes engine is definitely not the reason; as no one would believe that.
    Well, then maybe it's Lewis' driving that is not conducive to the Mercedes engine's longevity. I don't have any proof of that, of course, but it's as likely an explanation as Mercedes sabotaging their own driver/car.
    Oct. 31, 1999 - one of the blackest days in motorsports.

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by henners88 View Post
    I don't think they fixing it, it's just Lewis is getting all the bad luck this year. It's sad as he is clearly the better driver of the two, but that is motor racing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Normally I would be of the same opinion but it has all gone too far now and something doesn't add up! No one can have 100% of the bad luck like he has had and 7 other drivers on the grid have no failures. It has gone beyond the realms of pure chance now.

Any time there is a mistake to be made it is with Lewis they make it. There comes a point where you have to put aside how idiotic it would be for a team to sabotage a driver so publicly and actually see it for what it is.

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.

I have to eliminate that this is down to bad luck because by the laws of probability he can't be that unlucky. It's impossible. So the likely probability here is that someone is somehow sabotaging him. It may not be a team wide directive but it may be someone's because it's the only real possibility left.