Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Liberty Media

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts

More good news is trickling out about the Liberty Media purchase. This one is especially appealing to me (and I'm sure many others):

http://www.grandprix247.com/2016/11/09/liberty-media-want-f1-streaming-service/

Liberty Media are keen to introduce a direct-to-consumer web based streaming service featuring Formula 1 races and news once the the John Malone-controlled company acquires the sport. Liberty CEO Greg Maffei told analysts during the company’s quarterly earnings call that they are “very excited about the idea” of a Formula 1 streaming service which “makes a lot of sense for them and us.”

He acknowledged that it might take time as there are “things to be worked through” to clarify the rights that are available from the Bernie Ecclestone’s deals that Formula 1 and its teams have with broadcasters.

In my mind's eye, I can finally see the day when that DirecTV satellite dish leaves my yard!
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior View Post
    More good news is trickling out about the Liberty Media purchase. This one is especially appealing to me (and I'm sure many others):

http://www.grandprix247.com/2016/11/09/liberty-media-want-f1-streaming-service/

Liberty Media are keen to introduce a direct-to-consumer web based streaming service featuring Formula 1 races and news once the the John Malone-controlled company acquires the sport. Liberty CEO Greg Maffei told analysts during the company’s quarterly earnings call that they are “very excited about the idea” of a Formula 1 streaming service which “makes a lot of sense for them and us.”

He acknowledged that it might take time as there are “things to be worked through” to clarify the rights that are available from the Bernie Ecclestone’s deals that Formula 1 and its teams have with broadcasters.

In my mind's eye, I can finally see the day when that DirecTV satellite dish leaves my yard!
    I wonder what Sky thinks of that. I can see a war of words brewing.

Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    I expect when they clarify the rights that are left after Bernie's deals, it will turn out to be bugger all. More likely this will be something that comes in as existing broadcast contracts lapse.
    Maybe they will get away with geo-blocking the service to avoid encroaching on remaining broadcast contracts in certain regions, but given how easy it is to proxy around that, the broadcasters will surely find it unsatisfactory.

Liked 1,367 Times in 710 Posts
    What is your verdict on Liberty Media so far?

Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulland View Post
    What is your verdict on Liberty Media so far?
    pretty good IMO
    the real test will come in 2020 when they hopefully restructure the entire pay system and end these legacy payments and huge imbalance.
    you can't argue with results.