Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Goodbye Felipe

Liked 203 Times in 148 Posts

Goodbye Felipe

Well, I'm surprised that no one has opened this thread yet, so I'll have to.

I wasn't expecting to read the confirmation of Massa's retirement just yet, so it's come as quite a surprise to me. However, quite frankly, I think it's come a few years too late - he's a nice guy, but not that great as a driver IMHO.

Liked 58 Times in 27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by N4D13 View Post
    Well, I'm surprised that no one has opened this thread yet, so I'll have to.

I wasn't expecting to read the confirmation of Massa's retirement just yet, so it's come as quite a surprise to me. However, quite frankly, I think it's come a few years too late - he's a nice guy, but not that great as a driver IMHO.
    i totally agree with you. i like him but i guess he wouldn't have got a seat next year and he decided to retire instead of not getting a seat.

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    His motivation was not quite there this year. He seemed to get all the problems with the car at Williams this year hence has not showed his normal level of performance. A driver like Massa brings alot of experience to a team, hence l think he would have found a seat if he really wanted to continue in F1. However, it is true that the sort of seats he would have wanted are locked out by fresh in-fluxing talent or relocating younger talents with experience.

He is part of F1's history and we shall talk about him when we reminisce the high points of his carreer that intersects Hamilton's, Alonso's, Raikonnen and Schumacher's. I think he is deserving of a respectable farewell.

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    double post.
    Last edited by Starter; 2nd September 2016 at 01:28. Reason: double post
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

A very good driver capable of winning and did. Always better than 2/3 of the drivers on the grid, but age catches up with the best of us (except maybe for Fangio and Watson). Great comeback from his injury. He's earned a good retirement.
    -- Smokey Stover

Liked 642 Times in 508 Posts
    Farewell Felipe! On your day you were as fast as anyone. You are a man, and a racing prodigy. This sums up your 2008 campaign:

Man what a climax to an incredible season. I watched that race at a dive bar in the San Diego Gaslamp with Gloomyday!
    May the forza be with you

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    A very good driver capable of winning and did. Always better than 2/3 of the drivers on the grid---

I don't think I would rate him that highly. I personally wouldn't place him among top 10 drivers on the grid and wouldn't have done so for years already.

Otherwise a decent mid-level talent, who has got pretty fortunate with cars in his career. For 10 years already he has been driving only either good or very good cars.

His performances during 2006-2009 are memorable. Some truly standout drives and even a title challenge, which came completely unexpected for many.

Since then not much to remember though. Consistently getting beaten by team-mates, sometimes by an embarrassing amount, and only very few impressive drives. About time to retire and at least finally this Williams seat opens up for somebody else.

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Farewell Felipe. On his day, a very good driver but never a great one. One of those i'd signpost as the difference between a 'fast driver' and 'racer' - I think, the last year in particular, he's lacked the motivation and so the time is right.

A classy guy though, a great chracter.
    :champion: WRC3 championship, WRC4 championship, WRC4 PCWRC, WRC4 ERC
    Winner - TRD2 Bathurst:burnout:

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts

Nationality :- Brazilian
    First F1 race : Australian GP 2002
    Total nos of races : 243 race starts
    Total nos of podiums : 41
    Total number of wins : 11
    Highest Title position : 2nd [2008]
    Total career points : 1110 points
    Teams driven for : Sauber, Ferrari, Williams

In an era of Schumacher, Vettel, Hamilton and Alonso, Massa has held his own to show he is a talented racer. His record shows that he is no slouch. And his remarkable determination to return to racing after what could have been a career ending injury where a projectile [spring] from Ruben Barichello's Brawn lodged into his forehead, shows what a fighter this guy is. His war of words with Hamilton was funny and would be missed. His absence from the grid next year would certainly be noticed. Farewell Felipe, we look forward to the next generation of Massa.

Quote Originally Posted by jens View Post
    I don't think I would rate him that highly. I personally wouldn't place him among top 10 drivers on the grid and wouldn't have done so for years already.
    You'll notice I didn't say "great" I said "very good".

Otherwise a decent mid-level talent, who has got pretty fortunate with cars in his career. For 10 years already he has been driving only either good or very good cars.
    There have been a number of drivers who, because of happening to be in the right place at the right time, achieved results greater than perhaps expected. I rate him slightly higher than that.
    -- Smokey Stover