Page 21 of 42 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Brc 2017

Liked 9,311 Times in 4,938 Posts
    Maybe it's the coverage and videos that are giving the other series a better impression. I've watched the first events of the Belgian & Irish Championships on TV and was really excited and entertained by the action. Lets see how the BRC programme compares...

Liked 490 Times in 250 Posts
    Great footage in this video:

https://youtu.be/f0gYhHxJiMI
    aka Rodger Davies

4. Likes: Rally Power (21st March 2017)
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
    Is it a lack of 'buzz'? Rallying seems to be quite separate from the rest of motorsport; and has it's own followers/ journalists, and very few non rallying journalists tend to cover it. During the weekend I saw plenty of coverage, particularly on Twitter, of Sebring and the Goodwood Members meeting from a wide range of people.

Longer video including Edwards' off at 1.00...

https://youtu.be/vZtTYQ-ZlYo

But then compare to this Spa Rally vid for action, excitement and crowds...

https://youtu.be/fclE1D03Cp8
    Last edited by Fast Eddie WRC; 23rd March 2017 at 16:02.

Liked 1,529 Times in 657 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    Longer video including Edwards' off at 1.00...

https://youtu.be/vZtTYQ-ZlYo
    That's Rory Young from the Scottish Championship, not Edwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    But then compare to this Spa Rally vid for action, excitement and crowds...

https://youtu.be/fclE1D03Cp8
    I don't think you're comparing like with like, particularly when you're going by videos. A lot of the main competitors in the Belgian Championship have a lot of experience, both in their respective classes of car and of the events and types of roads they're driving. In the British Championship you have a lot of younger guys, many of whom still have relatively little experience of the R5s they're now driving. Not many of those guys will have driven over the Border Counties stages before. Particularly when taking video evidence into account you've got to look at the itineraries too. On both rallies most running took place on the second day. On the Spa Rally there were four stage repeated three times. On the Borders there were five unique stages, three of which were ran just once, two ran twice. I'd suggest that the videos might show more 'action' on the Spa Rally at least partly because of this, as naturally if you're just going over and over the same bit of tarmac you're going to push harder on subsequent runs than if you're going over a rough unswept gravel stage for possibly the first and only time.

As for crowds, yeah I imagine there were more spectators on the Spa Rally than the Borders, but there are various factors to consider there too. Particularly accessibility and publicity wise. Having been on the Borders Rally, having travelled over 200 miles to get there, I had a good time and enjoyed the show. There were plenty of people in the designated spectator areas, which unusually for me I stayed in as they were good spots to spectate from. Only rally fans from this country who weren't there can explain why they didn't attend! I can only repeat what I've said before about the BRC needing to create 'events' though. While the Borders being in the BRC wasn't the original intention, if it stays in how does it make sense to have the Scottish Rally and Borders as two separate, short and rather insignificant rallies in the same area when a combined 'Rally of Scotland' event over two and a half days might attract more attention. At the very least rally fans from further afield will surely be more inclined to attend the event if they can make a full weekend of it. Surely it'd also make more sense for competitors, both financially and logistically.

The British Championship could do with more entries and more variety of vehicles in different classes, but this isn't easily influenced. Realistically all the MSA can do and should do is promote the BRC better and get it 'out there', rather than seemingly just concentrating on filling the pages of Motorsport News... For me the biggest thing within their influence that needs to change is the BRC You Tube channel. Currently it's a complete embarrassment. Why even bother uploading a 1min 04sec onboard video and nothing else after the first round? It seems crazy to me that in the second year of the 'new' BRC, in this day and age, that they're doing so little with that outlet. It's a wasted opportunity.

Finally just a couple of observations from the Border Counties Rally. The only real disappointment was the complete lack of Vauxhall Adams. I guess the Vauxhall 'works team' was never anything like such a thing. It was bad enough that there was only going to be one car for Arron Windus, but for the team to pull out, I believe because no-one else wanted to pay them for a drive and there wasn't a proper budget coming from Vauxhall, meant they had to pull out. It's a real shame as Adielsson and Duggan were often great to watch in their Adams last year. Too bad there wasn't more commitment from Vauxhall.

The only other thing I'd like to mention was the parking arrangements on the Craik stage on Friday night. The official parking wasn't marked with any signs or arrows at the main road or to the stage, something I've never seen before. Unless you'd checked an OS map you wouldn't even know which road to take into the forest, as the location given as the entrance on the word document found on the Borders website is only, as far as I can see, shown on an OS map. Once into the forest a large number of people seemed to have taken the wrong route at a junction, this led to many people not turning up to the stage until after the stage had started, with some people turning up half way through the second run! Yet again I'm bemused by the lengths a rally organiser goes to to set up and control super safe viewing areas, while doing absolutely nothing to prevent most of those potential spectators getting lost driving down rough gravel tracks around a large forest in the dark and rain...

8. Likes: AndyRAC (26th March 2017),Simmi (26th March 2017)
    Thanks for the correction... watching on a phone I could only make out the car type & number...

Some good points you make... the BRC has a long way to go in many areas.

10. Likes: AndyRAC (26th March 2017)
    Liked 1,529 Times in 657 Posts

12. Likes: Allyc85 (25th March 2017),Rally Power (26th March 2017)
    Colin Clark on his FB video today suggesting there could be 3 more top R5 drivers entering the next event, the Pirelli Rally.

I hope he's right, I think the BRC needs them to give 2017 a real boost.

Liked 490 Times in 250 Posts
    Really good to see Colin's kitchen table talks for the BRC. Really enjoy this format.

About those additions:

- 1 'WRC2 regular' (Veiby or Suninen?)

- 1 'one time WRC regular who was on Pirelli last year' (Matthew Wilson?)

- Pirelli sponsored driver (think this one is more speculative)
    aka Rodger Davies

15. Likes: Rally Power (28th March 2017)