Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 790 Times in 652 Posts

Can Nico Rosberg win the 2016 Drivers Title?

Just a few weeks ago, there was much talk about whether Hamilton can recover to ignite the fight for the drivers title this season. It all seemed impossible. Faced with one calamity to another while a very smiling Rosberg racked up the points with four straight wins. Forty three points ahead on race day at Spain and it seemed very much a done deal with Rosberg only needing to do enough to maintain his very healthy lead.

Like a bad dream in one of those hellish American movies, Rosberg went to bed after the British grand prix with one sole point ahead. A troubled sleep no doubt. With Hamilton on a surge but with looming engine penalties, it now beggers the question, can Rosberg still find a way to win the WDC of 2016? As it stands at this moment, it is very much on the balance. Either of the Mercedes drivers can win it. It comes down to championship winning temperament, strategy and a bucket load of luck. As far as talent goes, they both have loads of it. But who really is the smart money on? Which of these guys have the edge to pull it off this season?

As the underdog, the sentimental goodwill is with Rosberg to win it this season. But sentiments do not win championships. A wily head, great work ethics and great strategy (and tons of luck) wins the victor the title. Hence, whose turn is it this season?
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 26th July 2016 at 09:20.

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    There are no "turns". it's about desire with luck thrown in as the wild card.

With no strange events and just the two racing it's Hamilton hands down. He has that killer instinct that I'm not sure Nico has - or at least hasn't learned how to use yet.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    Yes.

Liked 2,195 Times in 1,078 Posts
    Yes he can.
    "quattro best 4wd rallycar ever"

Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    Anyone heard any further news on Rosberg's gearbox issue at Silverstone? Will he face a gearbox penalty in Hungary? If so then it's certainly going to make things a lot harder for him on a circuit where Red Bulls and Ferraris will not be easy to pass.

Liked 802 Times in 437 Posts
    He can - in as much as he's mathematically able to, but he won't. I don't see Rosberg as an 'underdog'. He's had pretty much everything he could have wanted in terms of a 'blessed' career with no struggle to get where he is. The money was always there to ensure he could showcase his talent. Hamilton is the reverse, his talent made sure that the money would come. So yes NR will get a couple of 'gimme' races but that's not sufficient to stop LH winning enough of the events when they start on level terms to take the hat trick crown
    Kris Meeke got fired -PSG so terrified they quit!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    He's in the best car however he will never manage to gain the psycological edge over Lewis and we have seen great examples if thus recently.

Spa last year, turning point after a coming together! Nice won the race but lost the psychological battle. Made worse in USA in turn 1!!!

Again in Austria Lewis gained a psychological advantage that I expect him to take all the way to the title.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    It's certainly possible. And with Hamilton's early bad luck, start issues and potential engine penalties before the end of the season, the odds are still in Rosberg's favor... except for his tendency to choke at inopportune times. I think most people would say that Hamilton can win another WDC simply by beating Nico - which we've seen happen numerous times. But in order to secure his first WDC, Nico needs to beat Hamilton and also needs Hamilton to experience some more bad luck. Given that the Mercedes W07 (especially Hamilton's power units) isn't so bulletproof this year, I can see that happening.

Nico reminds me of IRL driver Will Power: very capable, but often cracks under pressure. Maybe he'll finally break that cycle though.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 2,264 Times in 944 Posts
    I may seem a bit superficial but I think he is just less talented than Hamilton. Only good luck can help him but in a champioship with so many events it is impossible to stay ahaed for more than he actually did until yesterday. It would be good for him to accept it otherwise he would live a career and a life of disappointments and regrets (as it is actually).

10. Likes: Mintexmemory (25th July 2016)
    Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AL14 View Post
    I may seem a bit superficial but I think he is just less talented than Hamilton. Only good luck can help him but in a champioship with so many events it is impossible to stay ahaed for more than he actually did until yesterday. It would be good for him to accept it otherwise he would live a career and a life of disappointments and regrets (as it is actually).
    Superficial? Anyone who followed the 2014 season would conclude that Hamilton is faster than Rosberg. The same was confirmed in 2015. One didn't need to wait until now to make that conclusion. Having said that, I think Rosberg is close enough to Hamilton to create a challenge that can't be ignored. Rosberg is the racer who will snatch the win from Hamilton if Hamilton happens to blink the wrong way some time during the racing weekend. This is something that can't be said when comparing say Vettel and Webber. One of the reasons the years of Vettel domination (at least half of all of them) were such a snoozefest was because Webber simply couldn't get anywhere near where Vettel was. It would have been a lot more fun as Rosberg was Vettel's teammate.