Page 23 of 318 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373123 ... LastLast
    Liked 207 Times in 129 Posts
    if you switch off the antilag you will have the same push from the engine but some tenths of a second later.am i wrong?it's not up to driver how push will take from the engine?(depends on how much sensitive is his right foot)
    fb page
    bring back acropolis rally to wrc calendar

Liked 5,552 Times in 2,296 Posts
    Bisaha testing to MC, pic by Marcel Svacina

Liked 11,150 Times in 4,426 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nafpaktos View Post
    if you switch off the antilag you will have the same push from the engine but some tenths of a second later.am i wrong?it's not up to driver how push will take from the engine?(depends on how much sensitive is his right foot)
    No, not really. It's not like after some delay there would be a full pressure out of the sudden. In fact when You step on the gas without ALS the exhaust gass pressure starts to grow. How it grows the turbo rotation speed grows as well and so does the turbo pressure. It's not a 0-1 step but a curve.

The acceleration of the turbo depends a lot on its size. When talking about situation without ALS the smaller turbos have rather rapid response and give good pressure at low engine rpm but don't bring anything for high engine rpm because the turbo gets beyond its safe rotation speed. These turbos are typical for modern stock engines. They add torque at low rpm but don't add much to the peak power.

The larger turbos which You need for racing give more pressure at high engine rpm but are slow to accelerate from iddle state (due to larger inertia of the compressor and turbine) and also the exhaust gasses at low engine rpm don't have enough energy to propel them, i.e. such turbos don't bring much at low rpm and need ALS or electric motor to speed up their response.
    Last edited by Mirek; 7th January 2017 at 17:20.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

4. Likes: nafpaktos (7th January 2017)
    Liked 1,369 Times in 712 Posts
    R classes should be allowed to run narrower wintertyres than WRCar, to create some interesting results.

but to be honost, all rallycars should be allowed narrower wintertyres. Many people that drives much on snow chooses to buy narrower wintertyres from a safety perspective. Same should apply to rally cars.

Liked 544 Times in 302 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulland View Post
    R classes should be allowed to run narrower wintertyres than WRCar, to create some interesting results.

but to be honost, all rallycars should be allowed narrower wintertyres. Many people that drives much on snow chooses to buy narrower wintertyres from a safety perspective. Same should apply to rally cars.
    Maybe they count on stages where winter tyres are used could be dry on some or most places. Narrower winter tyrers wouldn't be ideal then.

Liked 207 Times in 129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post

The acceleration of the turbo depends a lot on its size. When talking about situation without ALS the smaller turbos have rather rapid response and give good pressure at low engine rpm but don't bring anything for high engine rpm because the turbo gets beyond its safe rotation speed. These turbos are typical for modern stock engines. They add torque at low rpm but don't add much to the peak power.

The larger turbos which You need for racing give more pressure at high engine rpm but are slow to accelerate from iddle state (due to larger inertia of the compressor and turbine) and also the exhaust gasses at low engine rpm don't have enough energy to propel them, i.e. such turbos don't bring much at low rpm and need ALS or electric motor to speed up their response.
    Where do you classify the turbo of the wrcars?i suppose to relatively small ones since they can switch off the the als if it is needed.
    fb page
    bring back acropolis rally to wrc calendar

Liked 1,176 Times in 389 Posts
    You need to remember also that ALS in WRC cars is little bit different than this in R5 (or gpN). That in WRC is not pushing the car that much. In gpN evo with strong ALS when you release your foot from throttle car is still moving, similar with R5, with WRC with fresh air valves it's different. (I'm not 100% sure 2017 WRC cars are allowed to use such type of ALS, but I'm almost sure). So testing such option like driving without ALS makes sense with R5 on very slippery roads, but with WRC usually not (only if it's crazy slippery and then you want very slow/low throttle response). But it's off-topic, sorry.

9. Likes: A FONDO (8th January 2017),dimviii (7th January 2017),leighton323 (8th January 2017),Mirek (7th January 2017),nafpaktos (7th January 2017)
    Liked 11,150 Times in 4,426 Posts
    You are right, I saw some funny accident with an Evo gn.N on ice with a driver who drove it for the first time. It happened in a speed of walking but he couldn't stop it with the ALS on

I'm quite sure that WRC cars have the air bypass still allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by nafpaktos View Post
    Where do you classify the turbo of the wrcars?i suppose to relatively small ones since they can switch off the the als if it is needed.
    The WRC turbo is reasonably bigger than of common stock cars. I would say my 1.4TSI turbo may be roughly half of the WRC one in diameter and also the boost is a lot smaller 0,6 bar compared to 1,5 bar. The rotating inertia grows with a square of the diameter but on the other hand with a WRC engine one has to take into account that the exhaust pressures aren't really comparable with the stock engine.
    Last edited by Mirek; 7th January 2017 at 19:40.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

Liked 1,176 Times in 389 Posts
    Garrett MGT2260 as an example of R5 turbo, Garrett TR30R as an example of WRC turbo. So you can check and compare sizes on your own.

12. Likes: Mirek (7th January 2017),nafpaktos (7th January 2017),TyPat107 (8th January 2017)
    Liked 16,095 Times in 6,984 Posts
    or google IHI RX6 was used at Subaru wrc cars.

14. Likes: Mirek (7th January 2017),nafpaktos (7th January 2017)