Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Austria 2016

Liked 793 Times in 587 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by henners88 View Post
    I am hugely surprised after all the incidents between these two, Mercedes have not educated their drivers on appropriate attack and defence techniques. Surely this has been discussed to death in their boardroom?

I am also surprised fans on an f1 forum appear to have a better grasp of the rules and driving standards than a current driver. Nico either doesn't know, or he's playing dumb in front of the media in the hope the stewards will give him the benefit of the doubt.
    That's just it , though .
    They are sick to death of trying to manage these two .

Rosberg's defense here , insisting it was his line to take , implies heavily that this was what he has faced after earlier scenarios were discussed .
    He's not playing dumb . He's making a point by playing by internal Merc rules .
    Why the hell else would he insist he's right when also saying he respects the decision ?

I believe Merc rules need to change , as the FIA ones won't , and shouldn't .
    And , I believe that's what Nico wants .

It's that , or team orders .

Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post

Rosberg's defense here , insisting it was his line to take , implies heavily that this was what he has faced after earlier scenarios were discussed .
    Why the hell else would he insist he's right when also saying he respects the decision ?

I haven't seen anything where either have claimed that this is down to 'internal' rules. That's news to me. I know in driver briefings the drivers have agreements where they all agree on reasonable sporting manoeuvres. For example Button has said in a few occasions that something goes beyond the spirit of what is universally agreed at the GPDA. If Mercedes have their own set of agreements then I am not aware these have been made public.

Teams generally tell drivers that the guy on the inside has the corner I would imagine, as long as they don't crash or force each other off. Nico pushed the very boundaries of defending the inside line and I think he's well aware of that.

Liked 793 Times in 587 Posts
    I haven't seen anything where either have claimed that this is down to 'internal' rules. That's news to me. I know in driver briefings the drivers have agreements where they all agree on reasonable sporting manoeuvres. For example Button has said in a few occasions that something goes beyond the spirit of what is universally agreed at the GPDA. If Mercedes have their own set of agreements then I am not aware these have been made public.

Teams generally tell drivers that the guy on the inside has the corner I would imagine, as long as they don't crash or force each other off. Nico pushed the very boundaries of defending the inside line and I think he's well aware of that.
    It's all speculation on my part , for sure , but it sure is what it looks like from here .

And his point is that boundaries have been pushed before .
    Again , my speculation .

It's all speculation on my part , for sure , but it sure is what it looks like from here .

And his point is that boundaries have been pushed before .
    Again , my speculation .
    I think it could just as likely be Nico softening the aftermath of his mistake.

You could be right that Mercedes have said the driver up the inside wins the corner, but I doubt they would agree that pushing the other driver off the track is reasonable. If Nico had have turned earlier he would have made the corner and cut Hamilton off at the exit which is perfectly acceptable. Lewis would have had to yield. He went beyond the spirit of any agreement, you'd have to say, and ended up getting his wrist slapped.

Liked 790 Times in 652 Posts

Bagwan buddy, are you saying there was team order for the guy who qualified 6th to be allowed to leap to the front of the guy who qualified 1st. It is kind of like you are saying that Mercedes have decided before the race that Rosberg is to win this race and Hamilton should step aside when Rosberg approaches him. Or Hamiton should not overtake Rosberg once they have placed him ahead of him.

Is that what you are saying?

Liked 146 Times in 122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    Is that what you are saying?
    I think what he's referring to is that there is a standing rule in the Merc team that, when one overtakes the other, the overtaking driver bears main responsibility to minimize risk.
    как могу я знать что я думаю, пока не слушал что я говорю

Quote Originally Posted by dj_bytedisaster View Post
    I think what he's referring to is that there is a standing rule in the Merc team that, when one overtakes the other, the overtaking driver bears main responsibility to minimize risk.
    Like going to the outer boundaries of the track and leaving 15 feet of room up the inside?

Like going to the outer boundaries of the track and leaving 15 feet of room up the inside?
    No, like backing off if you see that your team mate is in a position to make it impossible for you to pass without taking a risk. Nico has backed out of moves countless time where Lewis gave him a simple choice: back off or crash. This time it was Nico's turn and Lewis chose the crash option. He should have know that Nico would use every trick in the book, even dirty ones, to avoid getting mugged in the last lap, simply because he would have done exactly the same.

Liked 790 Times in 652 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dj_bytedisaster View Post
    Ok thanks for clarifying. That would sort of make sense but really unworkable in all circumstances. And l am not sure that it could be applied to the Spielberg situation anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    Ok thanks for clarifying. That would sort of make sense but really unworkable in all circumstances. And l am not sure that it could be applied to the Spielberg situation anyway.
    It is impractical for the drivers, but Mercedes doesn't give two hoots about who wins the title, they want to maximize team points at all costs and from a team perspective, with the goal of avoiding even normal racing accidents at all costs, that rule is the best way to go.

To me that was a typical Adelaide-94 situation. Rosberg ran wide three times in the two laps before, so Lewis should have know that either Nicos brakes or tyres are fading. All it would have taken would be to brake earlier rather than later, let Nico run wide, and out-accelerate him on the tighter line. I would bet a sizeable amount of currency that Verstappen in Lewis's place would have done exactly that. He seems to have an instictive eye for where his opponents are struggling.