Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    This is a good thing for the EU because it will force them to seriously reevaluate policys and directions. That's a reevaluation that almost certainly would not have happened without the vote.

I think most of you are looking at too short a term. You need to consider the long run. You've only been part of the EU for what, 30 or so years? That's a minor blip in history. There will be some short term disruption then things will settle down. In the long run an independent country can find a better path for itself or possibly rejoin the EU somewhere down the road after they clean up their act. Perhaps a closer alliance with Asia? (We might even let you apply to become a state. ) Anything is possible and being all negative serves no purpose but to make yourself feel bad.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Liked 387 Times in 327 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post

There will be some short term disruption then things will settle down. In the long run an independent country can find a better path for itself or possibly rejoin the EU somewhere down the road after they clean up their act.
    What????
    Is EU a sort of a game? First you're a member who imposed your conditions to join, then you're unhappy, take your toys and leave causing trouble for the others, but then you might come back when your muscles want it. No sir! Farewell and leave us alone.

3. Likes: donKey jote (24th June 2016)
    Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    @ Starter - You clearly have very little grasp on the nature of the EU or politics on this side of the world. As gadjo says, there won't be any crawling back to the EU (certainly not in any economical fashion) and this has far bigger repercussions for the EU than them just looking at policies but could lead to more countries leaving and an instability which could even result in the EU ceasing to exist.

Incidentally I think it's cute that an American felt the need to talk about history
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

5. Likes: donKey jote (24th June 2016),janvanvurpa (26th June 2016)
    Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrJan View Post
    @ Starter - You clearly have very little grasp on the nature of the EU or politics on this side of the world. As gadjo says, there won't be any crawling back to the EU (certainly not in any economical fashion) and this has far bigger repercussions for the EU than them just looking at policies but could lead to more countries leaving and an instability which could even result in the EU ceasing to exist.
    I doubt that, if there ever were a "regrouping", that it would be crawling back. It would be mutually beneficial or it wouldn't happen. Of course it has huge implications for the EU, duh.

Much of Europe has had a free ride and is a little too sassy. Think of what would happen (it's not going to happen, but think about it if it did) should the US decide to pull back all economic aid and it's military presence from Europe. You'll be up close and personal with Mr. Putin.

Incidentally I think it's cute that an American felt the need to talk about history
    The advantage of living over here is that I get to run my mouth about you guys just as many of you felt free to express your opinions about American issues not so long ago. With just as much accuracy and depth of understanding too.

Of course we are all perfectly qualified to speak on these issues because we are the highly educated and trained expert diplomats which all the nations of the world only wish they had access to. They should hire all of us posters on this forum. We'd set them straight in no time.
    Last edited by Starter; 24th June 2016 at 17:39.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Liked 66 Times in 54 Posts
    I'm slightly ashamed to be British right now.

People have clearly voted for something that they have no idea about. This can be summed up by what happened in Sunderland.

The towns economy is built around the Nissan plant, employing nearly 7000 people. 80% of what is made there is exported to the EU. Yet 60% of people from this area voted to leave.

Seriously, what is wrong with people? Why has it become fashionable to be anti-intellectual.

Or is it just because people hate foreigners.
    Tazio 14/3/2015: I'll give every member on this forum 1,000.00 USD if McLaren fails to podium this season!

8. Likes: donKey jote (24th June 2016)
    Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    Despite what I voted. I still get angry that there is such bile at those who vote to leave.

Maybe they truly believe that the EU will fail or the a United states of Europe is coming or that the UKs future is better away from the EU.

Why is everyone so anti peoples choice. Democracy gives people the right to decide and the right to get things wrong in your eyes and right in others. We should now be accepting the decision and moving on to try and build a new direction.

Also why is it a feeling that people hate Europe? We will still want to buy their goods and they will still want to buy ours. Leaving the EU means not liking the organisation, the running of it or just the principle. It doesnt mean not wanting to be friends.

Its like wanting to stay friends but buying your own house. lol
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Quote Originally Posted by steveaki13 View Post
    Despite what I voted. I still get angry that there is such bile at those who vote to leave.

Maybe they truly believe that the EU will fail or the a United states of Europe is coming or that the UKs future is better away from the EU.

Why is everyone so anti peoples choice. Democracy gives people the right to decide and the right to get things wrong in your eyes and right in others. We should now be accepting the decision and moving on to try and build a new direction.

Also why is it a feeling that people hate Europe? We will still want to buy their goods and they will still want to buy ours. Leaving the EU means not liking the organisation, the running of it or just the principle. It doesnt mean not wanting to be friends.

Its like wanting to stay friends but buying your own house. lol

Direct-democracy (i.e referendum) only result in populism winning.
    Tazio 14/3/2015: I'll give every member on this forum 1,000.00 USD if McLaren fails to podium this season!

11. Likes: EightGear (24th June 2016)
    Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    So whats the answer? Dictatorship?

I think if you stand by democracy you cant demand people turn out to vote in all sorts of elections and when they do. Say hang on. It didnt go the way we want so we should take the right away.... thats bonkers.

If you give rich, poor, educated and uneducated the right to vote. You except the decision and move on. Not moan and bitch about it.

IMO.
    Democracy is bigger than what we as individuals think is right.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

So whats the answer? Dictatorship?

I think if you stand by democracy you cant demand people turn out to vote in all sorts of elections and when they do. Say hang on. It didnt go the way we want so we should take the right away.... thats bonkers.

If you give rich, poor, educated and uneducated the right to vote. You except the decision and move on. Not moan and bitch about it.

IMO.
    Democracy is bigger than what we as individuals think is right.
    Direct democracy is not the same as Parliamentary Democracy.

14. Likes: donKey jote (24th June 2016)
    Liked 387 Times in 327 Posts
    Democracy gives people the right to decide and the right to get things wrong in your eyes and right in others.
    That's what scares me. That average people with no competence in a certain field are called to take decisions.

Real friendship is not related to a pragmatic attitude. It might require loyalty and sacrifices. I generally appreciate your positive attitude but I don't believe that stupid cliche of we divorced but we're still best friends.

Nobody ever forced UK to join EU in the first place, that's why I dislike yesterday's choice.