Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    The irony is that the majority of our immigration doesn't come from Europe, so we actually already have 'control' over that. Also if we're to have any kind of trade deal with the EU (if we leave) then it will almost certainly include allowing flow of labour....which will put us pretty much where we are now.

I think another big thing that makes people want to leave is that they feel they're being dictated to by laws from European bureaucrats who weren't elected...which isn't the case (although laws are proposed by unelected members they have to be agreed by people who have been elected...which is pretty much the same as the House of Lords system we have in the UK anyway). Also many of the people that are voting to Exit can't actually name any of the laws they supposedly don't like, or name ones that can be easily debunked. A good example was this http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/p...s-says-EU.html
    Only if you actually read into it there is a clause which says that member states can add their own exclusions, as long as they notify the EU. Another big talking point is economics and the supposed way that we give billions to the EU, which overlooks the benefits we get in return (not leas the trade deal).

As Steveaki says it's been an unpleasant campaign, truthfully I don't think any of them really know and both sides have used a lot of spin, more than you seem to get in normal election campaigns. The in fighting within parties is interesting also, and might have repercussions, personally I wish politics was more like that though. Too often you hear ministers just giving the party line rather than their own opinion.

Anyway, hopefully we make the right choice. As you may gather I'm quite strongly in one camp, and I'm genuinely worried about what could happen, but I'm intrigued by the outcome either way.
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

2. Likes: donKey jote (23rd June 2016),steveaki13 (23rd June 2016)
    Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    Your, and much of the rest of Europe's, problem is the large numbers of immigrants. Immigrants are a good thing for most countries up to a point. When the quantity of people coming in exceeds the ability of the host country to assimilate them, good feelings toward the immigrants will not ensue. You also wind up with too many people not working. That's not a knock at the immigrants, many want to work but have issues with language and needed skills. Add in the immigrants who can't find a job to the numbers of native born who either can't find a job or don't want a job - exacerbated by the global recession - and you have a substantial percent on the dole. Tax paying citizens get tired of this real fast.
    Not sure about your country, but IME there are many immigrants who are better skilled and harder working than the British. The people scrounging benefit are generally 'English', spend most of their day smoking and watching 50" TVs.

4. Likes: steveaki13 (23rd June 2016)
    Liked 137 Times in 110 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post

Probably wouldn't have gotten this far if the solvent countries had been more active earlier in reining in the excesses of the countries who don't have a clue about fiscal responsibility. IMO of course.
    Not that I'm trying to justify what some incompetent politicians have done with the money but that view is a little too simplistic. There were other forces that made money move from frugal Germany and others like that to the more easy going Southern Europeans. For instance, a country like Spain found itself in trouble even if they were rather fiscally responsible.

The problem UK is having with UE is the free movement of people. The source of all problems in UK are the Poles, Romanians and the other Eastern Europeans. If they can get rid of them they're golden. Heaven on earth.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Liked 387 Times in 327 Posts
    Nice post Steve. By reading it through the lines I think that you voted to stay with us.

BTW, it's bloody hilarious that the country that was the biggest colonial empire has issues with immigrants.

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by donKey jote View Post
    With respect... bollocks!

(I'm also an immigrant, and before anybody tries, I'm sick of hearing the old "Oh but I don't mean you" argument)
    Nice cherry picking of only part of my statement. Do you work for either the Trump or Hillary campaigns?
    Last edited by Starter; 23rd June 2016 at 22:45.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Well... what can one say? The sheer stupidity of humankind still baffles me. What's next? Trump president?

9. Likes: donKey jote (24th June 2016)
    Liked 1,064 Times in 465 Posts
    Crazy Brits, what are they even thinking? A voluntary vote to screw their country, that must be a first.
    SimRace Vereniging Nederland
    www.srvn.nl

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    Why does everyone everywhere I see be negative? OK so its going to be tough and not ideal, but its what we have and we can still be a successful country. It just wont be as part of the EU. We are not going to become a 3rd world nation. In 10 years, 50 years or 100 years it may be the best decision. If the EU fails.

However it could be a bad decision that see's us struggle and wish we hadnt left.

Whatever I think to many just condemn. We will be OK. It will just be different. We must be positive, take it on the chin and make it work the best we can.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

There are a couple of reasons that I'm negative. The first is that I liked being part of the EU, it made sense. Secondly I think that this is a huge gamble that will almost certainly (in the short term at least) see our economy suffer. Thirdly I think it could lead to instability within the EU and I don't think that's good either.

But mainly in upset because I think people have voted emotionally rather than listening to facts. So much of both campaigns were spin but already we've had Farage announcing that the figure quoted as going to the NHS each week was wrong and a mistake.

13. Likes: Big Ben (24th June 2016),donKey jote (24th June 2016)
    I spent the last 10 minutes trying to change my username on this forum with no results. Can't we do that anymore? I'm starting to dislike the one I have right now. This may sound out of topic but it isn't