Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Baku 2016

Liked 180 Times in 140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    The 5 minutes penalty on Kimi was harsh and unnecessary. There was clearly no gain in time crossing the line like he did. A warning would have sufficed, l thought.
    Five minutes would indeed have been quite harsh
    Oct. 31, 1999 - one of the blackest days in motorsports.

2. Likes: rjbetty (21st June 2016)
    Liked 306 Times in 158 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    This track looks nuts .
    I expect lots of safety car periods , and long ones as cars and debris will be hard to clear .

This must be hell for those with businesses downtown , crippled for the sake of the show .

I'll predict 12 cars will reach the checkered flag , in a time limited race .

Been interesting reading all your predictions in this thread, you sure do drink from a half empty glass.

Liked 146 Times in 122 Posts
    Hamilton said after winning Monaco, that the issues with the car were still unresolved. I suppose Baku only goes to show that there are inherent problems with the car affecting both drivers, but afflicting Hamilton the most.
    Well, folks, you need to make up your mind. If things go wrong for Lewis (Baku), it's the fault of the car, if things go wrong for Nico (Monaco), it's the fault of the driver. What is it? Maybe it's time to stop behaving like football fans and pay all drivers the same respect.
    как могу я знать что я думаю, пока не слушал что я говорю

Liked 192 Times in 174 Posts
    When was the last time there was so much passing on track?
    Tito Vilanova = :champion:

Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    When was the last time there was so much passing on track?
    F1 cars just need a decent straight to wind up in. I enjoyed the race.

I see it as an excellent track which will punish track boundary violations harshly. Yay.

There did seem to be a difference in the cars between qualifying and the race. Tyres? Fuel? Track Temperature? Just me? Who knows.

The Mercedes won the race to the first corner and that was sort of it for the top step. Kept me interested though because there was always the potential for this track to bite.

Hamilton proved why the only radio communications in F1 should be medical in nature.

7. Likes: truefan72 (20th June 2016)
    Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    The 5 minutes penalty on Kimi was harsh and unnecessary. There was clearly no gain in time crossing the line like he did. A warning would have sufficed, l thought.

The radio debarcle was just ugly. It shows the rule on radio was not well thought through. Coaching is one thing, asking technical question about a complex system is another. I hope common sense prevail when this is next discussed with the FIA. In the circumstances faced by Hamilton and Raikonnen, the rule just seemed like something out of Alice in wonderland.
    I think it's just another example of the repeating systematic knee jerk reactions that the powers at be do in F1. F1 is like a wild river with people being swept away with ideas and notions, knee jerk reactions to every issue instead of actually taking a step out and looking what can be done to fix the problem. This has been ongoing in F1 for many years but has really come to the foreground in recent times with the extra information at our finger tips due to .social media outlets.

Unfortunately, until such time as Bernie croaks it or steps down, I don't see it changing as he, in my opinion, is a big part of the problem. He's an old dinosaur. He's great for the likes of CVC to get the best business deals but when it comes to the core health of F1 he's an absolute disaster. It's his fault that the teams have so much power in F1 because of the concorde agreement he signed with them. The whole thing is a shambles at the moment and, until such time as he goes, I don't see much things really changing. The power he has given RBR over the last few years and how he has bent to their whim is ridiculous. RBR wanted the rules changed in 2014 after 4 races because they were no longer winning and Bernie just went along with them. We wouldn't have these rule changes for 2017 if it wasn't for Bernie being their little puppet. And now, just when the performance is beginning to merge after two years they will change the rules again and probably move back to a situation similar to 2014 with one team dominant, except maybe this time it will be RBR, McLaren, Ferrari or Mercedes and the rest playing catch up. For real competition the rules need to be stable.

Regards the driver coaching, it probably had gone too far with drivers being told where to lift off in corners, or what gears to take etc over the radio, but now it's gone too far the opposite direction. Yesterday had a negative impact on the show where a driver that could have made the race exciting, wasn't able. The teams needs to be allowed to tell the driver if there's an incorrect setting and what to do to fix it or at the very least answer the drivers questions. Fine tuning needed.
    Last edited by The Black Knight; 20th June 2016 at 07:59.

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dj_bytedisaster View Post
    Well, folks, you need to make up your mind. If things go wrong for Lewis (Baku), it's the fault of the car, if things go wrong for Nico (Monaco), it's the fault of the driver. What is it? Maybe it's time to stop behaving like football fans and pay all drivers the same respect.
    I think we all know Nico had issues in Monaco. That was glaringly obvious from the start of the race.

10. Likes: henners88 (20th June 2016)
    Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    So things have gone as I have predicted. This circuit looked very hard on engines and brakes, so Mercedes was supposed to get another almost sure win, and if you look at how Rosberg maintained a +10 second over the following car for much of the race, I wasn't too much far off the mark. This time we got lucky that Mercedes didn't get its usual 1-2 finish. The championship goes on as could have been predicted approximately twelve months ago.

Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
    The double DRS with a single detection point was ridiculous, that in addition to the single file corner (old castle) killed the race. We need wide tracks, wide corners - forcing cars into single file with the current cars just takes away from a potential battle.

Liked 790 Times in 652 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dj_bytedisaster View Post
    Well Mercedes has owned up to putting the car in the wrong setting. At least l am objective about it, what about you buddy????

14. Likes: truefan72 (21st June 2016)