Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts

Mercedes Meltdown - Post Crash Thoughts

At the start of the 2016 Spanish grandprix, the worst case scenario of a grandprix weekend happened for Mercedes. Hamilton crashed into Rosberg, taking both Mercedes out of the race, in what was the hardest faceup between the two protagonists yet. Like Vettel and Webber did for Redbull some years back.

However, this Mercedes clash has different connotations. Firstly it shows a more robust Rosberg but with a twang of quite scary ruthlessness. This is probably the most startling aspect of the factors that resulted in the crash. The truth at Mercedes is they have crossed into a new realization, one where the racing between their drivers is now raw and ruthless. The glove is off you might say.

But what does this mean going forward. For Hamilton, it means he cannot be complacent anymore. If he want to win his fourth championship, he would need to shapeup and do a better job than he has done so far. For Rosberg, it means he cannot expect to get away with any sloppiness as Hamilton would certainly punish him for it. For Mercedes, the pulse rate just jumped up a couple of beats and would rise further every race weekend. The sort of ruthlessness displayed by Rosberg suggest that we may see a few more of these crashes. Is this a bad thing? For Mercedes, it could hand both or one of the championships to whichever team is doing the next best job. My money is on Redbull at this stage. For the fans, this is great. We get to see a real battle at the front. And if that washes out, we get to see another battle between Redbull and Ferrari emerge. Hopefully, Williams can smell the incredible opportunity and join the battle with Redbull and Ferrari. Now that would be brilliant :-).

Secondly, there is a danger that the Mercedes management may find the strain of the fierceness of their inter-driver rivalry too much to bear and default to their pre-season warning regarding dropping one of their drivers where things put Mercedes 2016 programme in jeopardy. One crash does not yet do that, but the next one would certainly bring about a swift decision. If you are in doubt, then seeing Parscal Wehrlien testing the Mercedes and not the Manor in the first in-season test, is a very clear indication of the mindset in Mercedes. This is a test that require teams to use for their driver programme, using a young driver with less than two F1 GP race experience. Parscal has more than two, which would suggest that a Verstapenn shuffle is about to occur at Mercedes.

Thirdly, Regardless of how you want to see where the blame for the crash lay, a maneuver such as resulted in a crash that could easily have been fatal, and goes without a strong warning at least, sets a worrying precedent. This crash asks the question, where does the limit of culpability lay? There is also the desire not to dampen the racing spirit in the drivers by clamping down on hard racing that unfortunately result in a attacking driver straying off the track. But in situations such as this where a crash results from a misjudged defensive action requires more scrutiny. This may mean, that area of the track is unsafe and needs modification to prevent future recurrence of Hamilton's loss of control due to the grass on the side of that part of the track. It may also mean that the stewards need to emphasize the need for defending driver's to ensure they leave a car's width where it is clear to them that the car attacking has a nose alongside them. I don't think any driver should be discouraged from seizing an opportunity that presents itself. The open space to the right of Rosberg would have invited any seasoned driver on the grid. To say Hamilton should have slowed down seemed unreasonable to me. Besides once he had committed to making that move, slowing down when Rosberg started to close the door would not have prevented that accident from happening. Hamilton's maneuver was not quite like Kimi's crash into Bottas last year. Or like Bottas on Hamilton in China, l think.

For Redbull, Ferrari and a growing number of fans, this is great. The first four races was crap at the front. Rosberg just drove off into the distance in his lonesome, leaving behind the entertainment of the race weekend in the midfield. The absence of a wheel to wheel fight for the driver championship, took away the excitement from the driver championship and placed it in the constructors championship, which was what the battle in the midfield was about. The unchallenged gap at the front in the last four races has created an undercurrent of desire to see a race without the Mercedes at the front at least. Bernie echoed that fact in a pre-race grid interview with Sky's Martin Brundle. Certainly to Bernie's delight along with what became an overwhelming number of fans, a race without the Mercedes was the most exciting race involving two close and hard fighting teams since the duel between Vettel and Alonso. Incidentally Redbull and Ferrari. To make it more sweeter, it produced an historic moment where the youngest driver ever to win a F1 race unfolded to a shell shocked audience still trying to make sense of the Mercedes wipeout.

One thing is also very clear, F1 is in a better place than most like to make out it is. Fairytales like Haas turning up to grid with no previous F1 experience and picking 5th and 6th place finishes in their first year, can happen even in this hard era of F1. Eighteen year old talents like Verstapenn can shine through and win F1 races at the first real opportunity. And there are more talent available than racing seats available. By all account it is looking rosy suddenly. At least until the next race
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 22nd May 2016 at 23:00.

Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
    Hamilton was three tenths quicker in qualifying at Spain and to my mind will progressively set about improving that gap. Hamilton only needs to get off the line cleanly from here on and he can win every race for the rest of the year. He is the dominant driver in the dominant car and should win the title again this year.

Sorry to disagree but Verstappen MIGHT have finished third if the Mercs weren't in the gravel. He got lucky and good luck to him. We didn't make a fuss over Kimi's third place in the previous race and I think Verstappen's win needs to be kept in perspective. Vettel deserved to keep his youngest winning driver record for a little bit longer.

I see Haas as Minardi re-incarnate. Even Minardi got a 5th. I wish them all the best. Any finish above 12th being celebration time.

F1 is pretty much in the toilet. Its still watchable but I'm glad the races are over by the time they are. Tyres and fuel make me puke and knowing that the cars are limited at every juncture is terribly difficult to get excited about but that is just me.

Liked 785 Times in 582 Posts
    The rumor trying to fly right now is that Lewis has been in some kind of trouble in Cannes , possibly involving some stolen photographs , and has been pulled from the seat in Monaco , because Merc is mad .

Apparently , Pascal has had the call-up .

Pretty crazy rumor .
    I have a hard time imagining what he could have done to merit a ban from his own team .

Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    The rumor trying to fly right now is that Lewis has been in some kind of trouble in Cannes , possibly involving some stolen photographs , and has been pulled from the seat in Monaco , because Merc is mad .

Apparently , Pascal has had the call-up .

Pretty crazy rumor .
    I have a hard time imagining what he could have done to merit a ban from his own team .
    Steady buddy, spinning wild yarns is not on

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    Steady buddy, spinning wild yarns is not on
    Hope you're not calling me a liar , because that is not on .

It came from Italian newspaper Corriere dello Sport .
    And , it IS a crazy rumor .

Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    Hope you're not calling me a liar , because that is not on .

It came from Italian newspaper Corriere dello Sport .
    And , it IS a crazy rumor .
    The one that said Rosberg is heading to Ferrari!

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    The one that said Rosberg is heading to Ferrari!
    Has he signed with Mercedes ?

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    I think the whole thing is being blown out of proportion. Mercedes handled the whole saga incredibly professionally, in my opinion, with the exception of Lauda and nobody listens to him unless it suits their POV.

Nico might be on the move at the end of the year, maybe so will Hamilton but, regardless, I doubt this incident will have any bearing the Mercedes driver line up for next year.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Saw the same rumor, also so someone ask Merc on Twitter to comment on the rumor and they said some rumors are so silly they don't require comment or something similar, cant find the tweet now though.

Lets see what happens, its clear that being ruthless like this does not come naturally to Ros and he often seems to struggle in knowing where the acceptable line is. Ham needs to learn to launch this car, he had some issues with launch last season too but got on top of them pretty quickly, hope he can sort that out soon, if he does then we will have a fun battle

Ros has been better than Ham overall in Monaco last couple of years so will be interesting to see how they go this year.

I think a move to Ferrari would be a bad one for Ros, Vettel is much more ruthless and much more concerned with winning everything than Ham seems to be... He wouldnt have backed off towards the end of last season for example.
    The past cannot be changed, forgotten, edited or erased; It can only be accepted.
    Driving Experiences - TorqueCurve

Liked 137 Times in 110 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TorqueCurve View Post
    I think a move to Ferrari would be a bad one for Ros, Vettel is much more ruthless and much more concerned with winning everything than Ham seems to be
    He's also not that good

11. Likes: driveace (25th May 2016)