Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts

Lightbulb Henri Toivonen (1956 – 1986)

It’s been 30 years.[*]

What really happened that day?
    The accident was a mystery – simple corner, there were no witnesses, next drivers haven’t seen the crashed car, nobody knew what happened – at least that’s generally accepted version. But some time ago I’ve found that there were witnesses, there even was a video of the crash. There were two bangs and the car burst into flames immidiatelly with high smoke – clearly visible from the road. The next driver was stopped by fans up on the road and drove back to the place of the crash. There’s even video of the car still burning.

For me it looks like a driver mistake. The corner isn’t so easy as people say – it was a little deceptive, tightening before turning right (the road was rebuilt and nowadays it has different profile than back then).
    Why there was never a proper investigation? Everybody talks about Senna’s crash even today, and Toivonen is forgotten by general public (and back then WRC was as popular as F1).

Liked 1,170 Times in 791 Posts
    "With that car, your brain can actually never keep up"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4IRMYuE1hI

Liked 661 Times in 290 Posts
    Rally historian Lindsay Weston has written a very detailed article remembering Henri Toivonen
    http://viewfrompitlane.wix.com/viewf...f2265cabe62b04
    https://twitter.com/KiwiWRCfan adding a fans perspective to Twitter

4. Likes: dimviii (3rd May 2016),Hartusvuori (3rd May 2016),Rally Power (3rd May 2016)
    Interesting article. But photographical evidence shows that only one car passed the crash scene (and was turned back by spectators) and other stopped at the scene. And radio transmission with the team was recorded when the car was still burning. Also the crew probably died immediately from the crash, not from fire (see the flattened windshield).

I've found a thread with some pictures from the crash.
    http://www.f1-forum.fi/vb/showthread.php?t=30671
    But I don't know Finnish at all. Is anything worthwhile written there?

Is there any animation how the crash might have happened? It looks like the car first hit with winshield (first bang) and then with the tank (second bang and explosion). Why there was never a proper investigation (like with Senna)?

Liked 40 Times in 18 Posts
    There was lots of talk at the time about what happened, and lots of private talks within the team (and other teams) about what really happened (there was no difference), and the feeling was that there was no conspiracy, just a tragic fatal crash. The FIA (Then FISA) investigated also, and the result was the change to Group A cars.

If the same accident happened today the drivers would walk away most likely.

Without a doubt a great driving team was lost. RIP.

Liked 9,356 Times in 4,971 Posts
    Still remembered every time I drive the S4....

RIP Henri.
    #M-SPORTER

I guess the accident has been stripped of the mystery. It was just a (very tragic) crash. With legend built around it by rally fans.

Too bad they killed Group S with Group B.

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
    Were there any remains of the crew on the crash site? Or were they burned to ashes (despite fireproof clothing)? I've heard there were some remains.

친애하는 지도자
    Liked 2,720 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by moto99 View Post
    Were there any remains of the crew on the crash site? Or were they burned to ashes (despite fireproof clothing)? I've heard there were some remains.
    why you are interested in such kind of information ?

Liked 2,264 Times in 944 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by moto99 View Post
    Man this is creepy.