Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts

Becoming a Marshall

Hi everyone,

Normally this kind of post comes from new members and its there only post

However its your old mate Stevie today

I thought as it relates to why most of us come to this forum, I would share the news that I have applied to a Marshall taster day at Brands Hatch at the end of May. During the Historic event. With the full intention of becoming a regular Marshall in time.

I am very excited I have to say and a tad nervous.

Anyone done it on here or got any ideas, advice or tips?

I am finally admitting I will never make motorsport as a driver so going to get involved by getting close to the action and helping out.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 78 Times in 73 Posts
    Like any new job, remember the old Yorkshireman's advice: "See owt, hear owt, say nowt".

I once had a flatmate who was a keen marshall. He reckoned you had to take the rough with the smooth - the rough being stuck on a windswept corner miles from anywhere, with an upset stomach, in a rainstorm, combined with a force ten gale at a minor club meeting. But he loved being "on the inside" of events.

Enjoy yourself!
    Duncan Rollo

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.

3. Likes: steveaki13 (29th April 2016)
    Liked 578 Times in 210 Posts
    I used to marshal at rallies but won't these days due to potential liability issues...

I do see lots of marshals rushing to assist at incidents when the best thing they can often do is wait 5-10 seconds to think

So don't rush in. Keep yourself safe firstly, then your fellow marshals, then the competitors.

5. Likes: steveaki13 (1st May 2016)
    Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    I've been a marshal for many years in the states. SCCA club events all the way to F1 and events in neighboring countries too. It is, without doubt, the best seat in the house outside of being behind the wheel. I started marshaling when I was a lot younger and, though I would have liked to race, had NO money so marshaling was the next best thing. Later, when I could have afforded to race, I was well hooked on marshaling and that was it. Feel free to PM me if you'd like more info.
    Last edited by Starter; 21st May 2016 at 01:02.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

7. Likes: steveaki13 (2nd May 2016)