Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 790 Times in 652 Posts

Mclaren MP4-31 2016 car

At first glance, my impression is that this is the ugliest Mclaren ever produced. The lines are angular and square and without the flair that is customary of Mclaren designers. It is beginning to look like the cars at the tail end of the grid which incidentally is where it spent its last two seasons. While the aesthetics of the car is disappointing, one hopes it makes up for it in performance. I would have an ugly car capable of mixing it at the front to a beautiful car at the back of the grid. But it would be a real tragedy if the Mclaren turns out to be both ugly and non-competitive.
    mclarem-mp4-31.jpg

Unfortunately, this car does not reflect enthusiasm and confidence from Mclaren. They appear to be bracing themselves for another bad season. it comes down to the inherent question, can the Honda engine deliver a leading edge performance worthy for the two Mclaren World Champions.

I think one could venture a prediction that 2016 is a determinant year for Honda's continued involvement in F1. Failing to deliver a reasonably performant engine may likely see an end to the partnership between Mclaren and Honda. It may be unlikely that Honda would want to continue its engine supply activity after this parting. One would wonder who would want a Honda engine after this anyway.

That said, l have a feeling that Honda would deliver a better engine than its 2015 engine. By better, l mean higher performance than the 2015 engine. Reliability is another matter. An area that has been a major pain for the mclaren team in 2015.

But you never know, Honda may turn up with a surprise of the season. If they do, Mclaren would rue turning up for the 2016 season with an ugly chassis and bland livery.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 23rd February 2016 at 21:12.

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    Wow. That McLaren is pretty unusual. In terms of it is very angular. For some reason it reminds me of a back marker car in the early 90s.

With 2016 just being a step forward for most teams, McLaren might be the most likely to make a splash compared to 2015. If Honda can sort themselves out.

However it could be another year of toil otherwise.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    McLaren have succeeded in putting the wrong livery on their car again.

Considering that Orange is what should be on their cars - because it's on their website...

http://cars.mclaren.com/#

And on their cars which actually win motor races...

This forgettable black and red whingy emo Kylo Ren colour scheme is monumentally stupid.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

4. Likes: Storm (23rd February 2016)
    Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    It used to be that we could only determine the aerodynamic performance of the car by casting our inexpert eyes over the launch photos. Amazing that now we can infer the mental state of the team as well

Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    It used to be that we could only determine the aerodynamic performance of the car by casting our inexpert eyes over the launch photos. Amazing that now we can infer the mental state of the team as well
    Click to enlarge Attachment 896

When you have a look at this 2008 mclaren, you see an exuberance of creative flair. The car reflect the vibrancy and vitality of a winning team. The 2016 car is a stark contrast in that it is darker and angular, which reflects the challenging state that Mclaren is with their Honda partnership.

Yes, you can tell the psychology of team from the characteristics of their car design. Mclaren like Renault have reserved notions of their chances this 2016 season, hence their cars are dark and the car design also reflect this reservation in the effort put into the aesthetics of the car. The cars of both of these teams are designed to be functional but not necessarily beautiful. And we know too well that Mclaren built some of the most beautiful F1 cars of the last decade.

That said, l would be most happy to be wrong because that would mean Mclaren has found a winning formula.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 25th February 2016 at 20:52.

Liked 192 Times in 174 Posts
    The attachment does not open!

I do not have hopes for McLaren this year either...Alonso will likely retire half way through the season, sadly only 2 time champ.
    Tito Vilanova = :champion:

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqv_LUStxDw

Darkness, no parents...
    Continue Darkness, More Darkness. Get it?
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 165 Times in 131 Posts
    I wonder though how much of the "ugly" is down to the livery. Most of the cars are quite square, but the 'not quite black' of he McLaren makes it appear that some one has beat it up with an ugly stick.

Liked 645 Times in 510 Posts
    Too much speculation of the negative persuasion. McLaren will be vastly improved IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by storm
    Alonso will likely retire half way through the season

Nothing Fred has said lately is indicative of that eventuality, I really don't see that happening, McHonda is pushing for all it's worth. I say let's wait for Australia before we bury them!
    Jense:
    http://www.skysports.com/watch/video...99JeXgqbQomgE2
    Last edited by Tazio; 2nd March 2016 at 03:34.
    May the forza be with you

Quote Originally Posted by Tazio View Post
    Too much speculation of the negative persuasion. McLaren will be vastly improved IMO.
    Please read my post carefully, l have not written Mclaren off yet. I don't think the car is particularly hot, but l am fully expecting some form of step forward from last year's car. How much forward is what l wonder about. Based on the recent test showing, it is looking promising thankfully. I say it like it is, if you are too emotionally invested in Mclaren, you would most likely not like the truth of the matter. But that does not change the way it is.
    That said, l hope this great team finds its way back to the front where it belongs.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 4th March 2016 at 07:01.