Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    regarding gansters becoming famous rather than serial murderers, you have al capone and henry hill, these people have become famous, especially henry hill with the film Goodfellas
    valenciafc.co.uk :)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    celebrity criminal = snoop dogg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    WOW - THAT WAS MY 1000TH POST BY THE WAY! :d

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    tony, I think you're confusing the criminal who's well known, with the criminal who's seeking to be a well known TV personality. Courtney, for example, appears on TV as Mr Cheeky Chappie who's 'done a bit here and there' while the Jack the Ripper style fame isn't glamourising crime at all.
    "The Jaguar's going cheap"
    "Shouldn't it be purring?" :confused:

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    In the reception area of a nearby B&B, I was rather staggered the other day to see a leaflet advertising Jack the Ripper-themed tours of London. This got me thinking about why it should be OK to look on the period of Jack the Ripper with some degree of, I suppose, ghoulish affection (for want of a better phrase) rather than the horror those crimes would induce nowadays.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    right, i thought you meant criminals who have in a way become celebrities because of their horrific acts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    This got me thinking about why it should be OK to look on the period of Jack the Ripper with some degree of, I suppose, ghoulish affection (for want of a better phrase) rather than the horror those crimes would induce nowadays.

You mean like being into planes that were invented as instruments of war to kill thousands of people?
    Or watching a war film, reading a book by a soldier or politician who had part in planning a conflict?

For pitty's sake, it's a tour that covers a long past series of incidents that we've all read books about, seen dramatised on TV and film and wondered about ourselves. What's so wrong with it? A Fred West tour would be wrong, but nothing from 1900 can be in the same league. Jack the Ripper gave birth to the twentieth century (or so he's claimed to have said) not 1999!
    "The Jaguar's going cheap"
    "Shouldn't it be purring?" :confused:

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazell B
    You mean like being into planes that were invented as instruments of war to kill thousands of people?
    Or watching a war film, reading a book by a soldier or politician who had part in planning a conflict?

For pitty's sake, it's a tour that covers a long past series of incidents that we've all read books about, seen dramatised on TV and film and wondered about ourselves. What's so wrong with it? A Fred West tour would be wrong, but nothing from 1900 can be in the same league. Jack the Ripper gave birth to the twentieth century (or so he's claimed to have said) not 1999!
    I suppose what I am trying to ask is when the cut-off point between the crimes still being seen as awful and them being viewed as historical curiosities is. Will a Fred West tour, or a Yorkshire Ripper tour, be acceptable after the same interval? Somehow, I doubt it.

What this has got to do with my interest in aviation, I have no idea. My interest in aircraft is in no way connected to their military capabilities.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    i think its a bit different than that. Those planes were designed to protect our country. Its not in the same context. Some people admire the beauty and craftmanship that goes in to building those planes.

I doubt anyone in there right mind would admire the actions of jack the ripper and feel his killing techniques were beautifully crafted

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've got a photo of myself somewhere, standing next to where one of the Ripper murders took place. I don't know why, it just seemed like a good idea at the time.

Has anyone mentioned Howard Marks yet?
    Speedqueens website is offline while I rehome it, but it will be back, and much bigger than before.