Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    The Pay TV coverage doesn't offer anything other than what that free-to-air did a decade ago; literary nothing.
    Exactly, it's the same product but now you have to pay at least £50 a month for it if you go the official route. It's a struggle for most to see the appeal in that and it's why I don't do it lol. Despite viewing numbers reducing rapidly, the sport has pushed for this outcome. A 1300% hike in broadcasting fees in the last 20 years has made sure FTA has been squeezed out. They are getting the money from companies like Sky now, but the long term effect is less fans will be watching in 10 years time. I was once a big fan and never went a day without posting about it or having it in my mind. I'm not terribly sad about cutting my ties with it, and I never thought I'd say that.

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    At first I was a bit narked by this announcement, but when i actually thought about it I realised that I probably prefer the extended highlights option, as long as it's shown at a reasonable time (the later night ones are a bit annoying for races like Canada or Brazil). Firstly you cut out the majority of the boring laps (I think we can all agree that most races have a period of status quo where you're just waiting for the next pit stop for strategy to unfurl). Secondly you don't lose a whole day of time because you need to be in front of the telly between 12 and 3pm on a Sunday, this means that I can go out and do things (like watch or compete in live motorsport) and still be home in time to watch the race.

It's certainly crap that Murdoch has squeezed his way in, but we all knew the writing was on the wall for FTA when Sky first got involved. Personally I'd rather see Motors TV have a bit of support (and not drop off the face of a platform for days on end) and get to watch more live endurance racing with commentary from the RLM/Midweek Motorsport crew. To my mind endurance racing is currently in a position where it's more exciting to watch than F1, I caught the last 3 hours or so of the Sebring 12hr race the other week and it was gripping. A few hours later I watched the highlights of Melbourne and even found that to drag a bit.
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

3. Likes: henners88 (28th March 2016)
    Does anybody else think that the highlights will end up on ITV like Moto GP is now? Run on a Monday night at 11pm so there is extra incentive for fans to just subscribe? I somehow doubt Sky are going to offer highlights the day of the race and at a reasonable time. They want subscribers, they are not interested in keeping fans happy.

I could make do with highlights if the actual racing improved. Right now I'm missing 6 races in every 8 due to lack of interest.

Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by henners88 View Post
    Does anybody else think that the highlights will end up on ITV like Moto GP is now? Run on a Monday night at 11pm so there is extra incentive for fans to just subscribe? I somehow doubt Sky are going to offer highlights the day of the race and at a reasonable time. They want subscribers, they are not interested in keeping fans happy.

I could make do with highlights if the actual racing improved. Right now I'm missing 6 races in every 8 due to lack of interest.
    There have been statements about Sky running the highlights on a new FTA channel of their own. But sub-letting their highlights to someone else would make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    There have been statements about Sky running the highlights on a new FTA channel of their own. But sub-letting their highlights to someone else would make sense.
    I had heard that yes. If sky have their own channel to air highlights I can't imagine them being as comprehensive as the BBC or C4. There must be some emphasis on why it's better to subscribe to the whole channel and see the race in full. I would imagine they will use it to advertise the channel and make highlights short and sweet.

They won't want fans getting enough from highlights as it undermines the main event. This is why I think the highlights show will either be aired the day after or perhaps midweek like the F1 Show used to be. I think whatever way you look at it, it's going to be crap.

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by henners88 View Post
    They won't want fans getting enough from highlights as it undermines the main event. This is why I think the highlights show will either be aired the day after or perhaps midweek like the F1 Show used to be. I think whatever way you look at it, it's going to be crap.
    This is how I currently see half the race on the calendar (in Australia). Channel 10 plays highlights of half the races starting at 10pm or 11pm on a Monday night; or in some instances on a Tuesday. I forget which GP it was last year but the highlights were shown at 1am on a Wednesday.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    At the moment I still have Sky Sports F1 for free, lets hope they don't go back on that deal!
    I still have it thrown in with my HD package too. I certainly wouldn't pay extra for it, with regret.
    Real Race Cars Dont Have Doors....

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    F1 has already lost it's 'caché' when the BBC dropped doing full live coverage and for many not being able to see live coverage at all in the UK is going to be it's death knell, at least in this country.

The 'channel' thing doesn't sound encouraging either, if the likes of the BBC or Ch4 were to have a guaranteed highlights package for each race it wouldn't be so bad.

At the moment I still have Sky Sports F1 for free, lets hope they don't go back on that deal!
    How did you get SSF1 for free?!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I can't help thinking, now that UEFA have realised that they have made a mistake awarding CL rights to BT Sport and not giving them to ITV, wonder whether Bernie will see the same thing (Sky vs FTA). But then I thought, Pigs Might Fly!)