Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

The 2017 'silly season' is already underway

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns33362.html
    "Several top drivers are out of contract at the end of the year, including Mercedes' Nico Rosberg and Ferrari's Kimi Raikkonen.

And both of those teams are interested in Daniel Ricciardo, the smiling Australian's Red Bull chief Dr Helmut Marko revealed on Tuesday.
    "

2 years will be up on the toro rosso drivers at the end of this year so I could see them moving Daniel Ricciardo on to a top team even if is firmly under a "long-term" contract with Red Bull.
    VERSTAPPEN: ‘If I’d let Sainz past, dad would’ve kicked me in the nuts!’

Liked 673 Times in 470 Posts
    Yep. More possible changed mentioned during the US coverage of the Aussie GP as well. No shock that Ricciardo seems to be in the mix. Silly season might ramp up early this year!

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    http://paddocktalk.com/news/html/story-299770.html

Sergio Marchionne has not dismissed speculation the struggling Swiss team Sauber could become Alfa Romeo.

Marchionne, the Ferrari and Fiat Chrysler president, has been saying repeatedly in the past weeks and months that Alfa Romeo could revive its historic place on the F1 grid.

"This (F1) is the maximum technological expression of the automotive world," he said on a rare paddock visit in Shanghai, "and so considering the objectives of Alfa Romeo, I think the option should be considered.

"The Alfa myth was born with racing, and somehow we have to get back there," Marchionne added.

http://paddocktalk.com/news/html/story-299769.html

Renault is close to deciding to abandon development of its 2016 car, according to the Danish newspaper BT.

It follows a mainly uncompetitive start to the season for the Enstone team, following the eleventh hour takeover of Lotus.

"At the moment there will be small, aerodynamic improvements," said Renault official Cyril Abiteboul in Shanghai, "and especially for Spain we have a major update.

"But right now we are deciding about the car with respect to 2016 and 2017," added the Frenchman. "We are yet to decide how much we will improve in 2016, but the improvements that do come must in all cases help also for 2017."

Renault, yet to score a single point this year, always acknowledged that 2016 would be difficult, given the lateness of the decision to switch from Mercedes power and in view of the sweeping rule changes for 2017.
    VERSTAPPEN: ‘If I’d let Sainz past, dad would’ve kicked me in the nuts!’

Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
    If Ferrari had Ricciardo this year, they would have won a GP already. Sadly, they only have a guy who was massacred by Ricciardo in the same car and another guy who hasn't had a great race in ages. Weakest driver pairing in a top team.
    If they have some sense, they will throw all money they have at Ricciardo.
    "signature room for rent"

5. Likes: Tazio (22nd April 2016)
    McWopetaz Metroplex, Illinois U. S. of A.
    Liked 156 Times in 153 Posts
    So I assume the F1 Alfa would be an Alfa Romeo tweaked rebadged Ferrari. Regarding the Alfa "myth", the 158 Grand Prix car was a top tier performer from the late 1930s to the early 1950s.
    This is my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking