Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    So a driver is to be rewarded DOTD for being inconsistent?

For Button, a final 15 laps, no matter what he did, does not mitigate that the rest of the race he drove was pretty rubbish. Had Michael Schumacher not drove a sublime race that day I'd have gone for him myself but Schumacher really deserved to win that race for how he drove. It was, in my opinion, the best race he had out of retirement and certainly, it was a thousand times better than Button's inconsistent dribble he produced for most of the day. Like I said, it's DOTD, not the best driver of 15 laps.
    The reward is for brilliance, not for inconsistency. Inconsistency doesn't have to automatically outweigh brilliance.

You memory of that race seems rather faulty. It was over the last 30 laps that Button went from last to first, though racing through the whole field in just 15 laps would have been an even more remarkable achievement. He was as consistent as anyone else for the first 40 laps too, apart from the collision with Alonso. He was in the top 10 for pretty much the whole race except after pitting and then after the collision, and set the second-fastest lap in the period of the race prior to the red flag.

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Firstgear View Post
    I would have been less impressed with Vettel if he had just stayed 5 seconds behind Hamilton for a comfortable 3rd place. He was trying for the maximum, overcooked it (and he admitted this afterwards) and in the end it didn't cost him anything (points wise). That's the kind of hunger and attitude I like in a driver. I'm not a big Vettel fan, but I'm not going to criticize him for trying 'til the end.

Come to think of it - maybe I'm being a little soft on him because I loaded up on Ferrari in FGP

For me, it's between RoGro & Palmer for DOTD.
    So what's the definition of the best driver of the day? Going for it on every lap (like Gilles, my all time favorite driver, who never won a championship in F1) or playing the hand you have on a given day and accumulating points toward the real goal, the WDC? I would think that the one who keeps their eyes on the true prize and doesn't throw it away is the better driver.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Liked 76 Times in 56 Posts
    I don't believe going for it every lap, no matter what the circumstances are, is the correct answer. If this was the final race of the season and Vettel needed 3rd to secure the championship, then I'd understand him staying a comfortable 5 seconds behind Hamilton. This is early in the season and he had enough of a gap to the guy behind - so why not push? Hamilton was on older tyres so might be more easily forced into a mistake - so why not push?

I don't have 'the' definition of DOTD. For me, it's just a gut feeling. Probably the guy that exceeds expectations by the most. Maybe the guy that's most entertaining (in a good way - spectacular pass, not in the Maldonado entertaining way) That's why my picks were Palmer (rookie, driving like he's got a few seasons under his belt) and RoGro (that was more of a 'team gets points in first race' - pulling on the heart strings thing)

4. Likes: Duncan (25th March 2016)
    Liked 193 Times in 131 Posts
    For me itīs always the impression a particular driver have on me who gets the vote. I donīt have to explain myself.

6. Likes: pantealex (24th March 2016),Tazio (24th March 2016)
    Liked 84 Times in 63 Posts
    A lot to choose from here.

Grosjean. Awesome result for Haas on their first outing. No drama, just got done what needed to be done.

Wehrlein. Was quite shocked to see a Manor as high up the order as it was. What's up with that? Definitely going to be one to watch this season.

Palmer. Great first outing in a sub-par car, made Sainz look pretty silly for a long time.

Vettel. Awesome off the line, could have finished higher but for factors beyond anybody's control. Looks like Ferrari will make this at least a contested season (Whoohoo!). Really can't fault him for leaving the track at the end; he was clearly driving on severely compromised rubber for quite a while and just hit the limits. For me, that gets bonus points for having the balls to hang the car out on the edge even if the result was that he wasn't successful in getting Hamilton.

Verstappen. Got to love this guy. Raw energy and totally fearless. Even a spin and knocking off an endplate didn't seem to slow him down much. Expecting great things...

Raikkonen. Yes, I know I have a jet of flames coming out just above my head. What's your point?

Alonso. High difficulty score for a double inverted twist with tucked wheels, minor deduction for failing to stick the landing.

8. Likes: Mia 01 (30th March 2016)
    Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Good I'm glad we got all this out of the way above and this is the reason I brought it up (apologies to all those that felt I was implying they weren't entitled to an opinion - that wasn't the case at all) but I felt this was the best way to get an honest answer as what everyone truly thinks the DOTD should entail. This debate just proves to me what Lewis Hamilton said was absolutely correct, the Driver of the Day award is a completely pointless exercise. Everyone's idea of what determines the driver of the day is different and therefore pointless. Unless there are certain criteria which define it then really it means absolutely nothing.

To me the driver of the day should be the driver that drove a consistent, mistake free and blindingly fast race but all our opinions are different. Here are what has been said thus far:

Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    So what's the definition of the best driver of the day? Going for it on every lap (like Gilles, my all time favorite driver, who never won a championship in F1) or playing the hand you have on a given day and accumulating points toward the real goal, the WDC? I would think that the one who keeps their eyes on the true prize and doesn't throw it away is the better driver.
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    The reward is for brilliance, not for inconsistency. Inconsistency doesn't have to automatically outweigh brilliance.

You memory of that race seems rather faulty. It was over the last 30 laps that Button went from last to first, though racing through the whole field in just 15 laps would have been an even more remarkable achievement. He was as consistent as anyone else for the first 40 laps too, apart from the collision with Alonso. He was in the top 10 for pretty much the whole race except after pitting and then after the collision, and set the second-fastest lap in the period of the race prior to the red flag.
    Correct it is faulty but everyone's memory is faulty given the perspective they come from their own bias. Ask Mia and Kimi is the driver of every race.

Quote Originally Posted by keysersoze View Post
    It's called having an opinion. Besides, only two posters mentioned Vettel, and I mentioned him along with 4 others. He's one of my least favorite drivers (Rosberg is the other). I named Vettel because of his stellar start, and the fact that he led comfortably. Even after losing the ground to Hamilton after his spin, he managed to catch back up. Considering he qualified 8 tenths slower than Hamiton, I'd say he had a very good race, and could have won the thing if not for the red flag. Since he left Red Bull, Sebastian has really proven his value.

I think all the above posts go to show is that no one really knows what DOTD should be and the criteria that defines it. There are no set criteria. I'm going to go out on a limb and clearly state that DOTD award in F1 is useless. It's fine here in a forum where it doesn't really have any impact but, realistically, when there is an actual award unless there is a set criteria involed it's laughable. There is the winning driver and that, by definition, should be the driver to receive driver of the day.

It's like having a player that finished 8th in Wimbledon get the player of the tournament award. The tournament winner should be the tournament player. F1 is the only sport I can think of that could come up with an idea like this. We all know the winner of the race gets the winners trophy because he crossed the line first, none of us know who gets the DOTD award until a million different people have voted on it. One of the reasons I don't like having this kind of criteria as well is that the trophy is awarded based on emotion than actual physical results or a set criteria. Us humans are emotional beings with our own bias and ultimately, while a few will be able to move beyond that to vote, very few will actually be able to overcome it so until DOTD has been defined then it's pointless.
    Last edited by The Black Knight; 25th March 2016 at 09:50.

Liked 165 Times in 131 Posts
    1. Grosjean - faultless performance in what looks like a decent middle of the pack car.
    2. Palmer - drove well, made no mistakes and deserved to score a point or two, it will be interesting to see how good or bad the Renault really is as the season progresses.
    3. Vettel - great start, great drive (apart from pushing too hard to get past Hamilton at the end - this was only brought on by the teams lack of tactical brains). Deserved to win, the tactical brains at Ferrari need to sort their shyte out.